• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmaaaa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Embouchure Reply with quote

Hi so I'm a senior trumpet player and I recently had a lesson, the first thing he noticed when I started playing is my embouchure. He said it's something I should definitely try to fix but now after hearing that, It's all I can think about when I play and it has really set me back in my playing. Is there truly a set embouchure I should be working for, if so how do I go about getting that form. Or should I just focus on what makes me sound good?
JayKosta
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a precise embouchure that is best for everyone - because it all depends on YOUR physical structure. But there are several guidelines about what works for 'most' people.

First tho, did your teacher mention what needs to change, or what is wrong with the embouchure setting you have been using?

The basic purpose of the embouchure setting is to facilitate and allow the upper lip to vibrate at the frequency needed to produce the desired note (including ones higher than you can currently play). And for the embouchure to comfortable enough to allow playing for a reasonable amount of time - without result in any actual pain or injury.

If the teacher thinks your current embouchure does not provide these functions, the teacher should at least tell you what problems are expected.
And the 'problems' might be things that you will need to learn in the future in order to become a better player. Such as better articulation, higher range, bigger interval jumps, etc.
The point is that you don't want to be hampered by an embouchure that prevents further improvement.

As an example, some people use excessive mouthpiece pressure to play notes at the top of the staff - and that can work for a few notes. But trying to go higher fails because so much pressure is used that the lip is prevented from vibrating.

You'll need to explain more about what your teacher has told you, and also about your current embouchure and playing ability.

Jay
Don't take a '20 minute mouthpiece' to a 1 hour session.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had 'a' lesson, then the very first thing to do is book a whole lot more, with the same person if you feel you can trust them to guide through what may be a necessary transformative process.

There is zero way anyone can help you from your brief description. By way of example, I am filling on for a colleague for a few weeks and the kids I am covering all have very different issues. The way forward is totally different for each one, yet they all play with a thin pinched sound, hold the instrument in a strangle hold and mostly have no articulation to speak of.

You think with all these common issues, they could do with a common solution, but this is not the case! e are working on confidence, commitment, breathing, posture, embouchure setting, a rubbish instrument, and lack of practicing, across these kids. None all are common, apart from breathing...

Hope that gives a little perspective!

cheers

Andy
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your teacher said your chops are deficient. This is like coming home from a doctor's appointment and reporting that he said you were sick. That's just not an acceptable outcome. You need a remedy, not a declaration that you have to solve on your own.

Your teacher may not know how to direct your improvement, Okay. Maybe he can recommend someone who can. Otherwise, this website can lead you to teachers in your area (just ask) or teachers who will help you via online lessons. Personally, I'd look for teachers who will give you exercises that will lead you to improvement (like the doctor who prescribes medicine) rather than a tear-down and reconstruct.

Looking for answers on the internet will be an unlikely source of success. However, we'll be anxious to hear of your journey. Best wishes.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does he play? What are his qualifications? What did he say was wrong?

For Sale: Cornets: Conn 77A, 80A, King Long Cornet Silvertone, Roth-Reynolds Professional, King Cleveland Superior.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that even if your foundational mechanics are good it still can take a long time to progress on trumpet. It's a very personal instrument and many approaches can be successful. One of the main difficulties is finding the best approach for your personal physiology. If your approach doesn't match up well with your physiology a lot of things can go wrong. Also, trumpet is a very physical instrument and it can take a long time to master the physical requirements.

In my own experience when something is wrong/not working it is very difficult to diagnose the problem and prescribe a cure with precision. This makes advice from your teacher potentially hit and miss. Complicating things is the fact that the correct "cure" might not create immediate improvement, it may take a long time to coordinate everything to create the projected improvement. My point is that there are lots of things happening when you play trumpet which have to work together in order for you to be successful. There is no single "magic" cure.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure Reply with quote

emmaaaa wrote:
Hi so I'm a senior trumpet player and I recently had a lesson, the first thing he noticed when I started playing is my embouchure. He said it's something I should definitely try to fix but now after hearing that, It's all I can think about when I play and it has really set me back in my playing. Is there truly a set embouchure I should be working for, if so how do I go about getting that form. Or should I just focus on what makes me sound good?

Are you able to post video of yourself playing? There might be a fundamental issue with your embouchure or your teacher may have a prejudice of what an embouchure is "supposed" to look like. No way for anyone to gain any insight into this from just a text description. Posting video would be helpful.

One of the issues is that the difference between things working well and not working well can be very subtle. There's a lot going on when you play. The balance of muscular tension has to be just so, and it has to change as range and volume changes. And the mouthpiece has to be anchored to your lips the "right" way. But it also won't work if the air isn't right, if the teeth opening and angle isn't right, if there's too much or not enough mouthpiece pressure. You're constantly walking a tightrope.

Your sound is the primary guide - if your sound isn't where you want it to be, things needs to be adjusted and/or strengthened.
Bundy
No-name Chinese C
Vento flugel
Getzen Eterna pickle-oh
Schiller rotary pickle-oh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: