• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Outdoor Ipad Use

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfreakinross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Outdoor Ipad Use Reply with quote

Sorry if this was addressed in another thread (I did some searching and did not find anything directly on the topic)

For those that use the Ipad for reading sheet music/lead sheets Have you found something that helps in reading it outdoors on a sunny day??

I have thought about the anti glare screen protector but wasn't sure if it would cut the brightness of the screen down making it harder to read outside in the sun.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re right, the iPad screen has a highly reflective surface. The key to using the iPad, even indoors with overhead lights, is angling it so you don’t see the reflections. You’ll get used to it.

As a side note, I’ve noticed that when using it outdoors, the screen brightness max’s out and battery usage goes up. Fortunately, that has not been a problem yet, but I carry one of those external recharging batteries in just in case.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extra battery backup/charger is always a good idea. I arrived for a gig on a Sunday morning and discovered that the cable hadn’t seated the night before and the internal battery was almost dead.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only been an issue for me once, so far-I sub with a group that used iPads (not all that frequent). I used a baseball cap to act as a hood to shield the sun from the screen-worked pretty well.

I would think a piece of paper, like black construction paper, could fashion a reasonable hood.

I wonder if something like this would work, or is it too large, too heavy?:
https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Molded-Privacy-Blocker-Protector/dp/B00P1MA98K

https://www.ebay.com/p/Anti-Glare-Sun-Shade-for-Apple-iPad-1-2-3-4th-With-Retina-ipad-Air-W91q/16009537228?
Retired Air Force Bandsman
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Polarized Lenses Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I had an outdoor gig and thought my iPad shut down due to overheating as the screen was fading in and out and finally quit altogether... I figured I'd try to diagnose the problem during the break... I removed my sunglasses for a closer look and the screen came back on! I started laughing when I realized that it was my polarized lens that made the iPad screen disappear!!
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve not had any problems after two years and many outdoor shows under all conditions.
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a few times in the outdoors in the sun. My biggest worry was actually overheating the thing.

The iPad will adjust the screen brightness in response to ambient light conditions if you let it.

My eyesight is so poor that I always force it to full brightness. I get about 6 hours at full on.

Earlier this spring, I found the battery was dropping to around 40% after a 2 hour rehearsal or gig, instead of high 70's or low 80's. A trip to the Apple store, they ran diagnostics and declared the battery shot, and did a replacement for $99. But they don't actually change the battery out. They give you a brand new, not refurbished iPad of the same model and spec. For $99 as their "battery service". They did a backup to the iCloud and restored the image onto the new tablet. I imagine this option will stop once they run out of replacement stock from the original production runs.

Last night's rehearsal I started at 100% and ended at 82%.

That said, I do carry 2 USB power banks at all times. The only times they have been used were others in the section whose batteries dropped low because they mismanaged their recharging.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
That said, I do carry 2 USB power banks at all times. The only times they have been used were others in the section whose batteries dropped low because they mismanaged their recharging.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've been wondering about this, because we have one member of a horn section I play in that seems incapable of showing up for a gig or rehearsal with a full charged ipad.

I'm curious what the mAh ratings are on the banks you carry and if you know how long they could run an iPad pro/forscore setup.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
pinstriper wrote:

Thanks for mentioning this. I've been wondering about this, because we have one member of a horn section I play in that seems incapable of showing up for a gig or rehearsal with a full charged ipad.

I'm curious what the mAh ratings are on the banks you carry and if you know how long they could run an iPad pro/forscore setup.

USB power banks are cheap, frequently less than $20. The one I have (I forget the brand; it was a gift) can fully recharge my iPad 3 times on one charge.

To recharge any iPad, you need at least an amp output (1000mA). That's why the typical USB port on your computer, your iPhone charger, or the USB port in your car won't do it; they are not rated that high. For the car, I picked up a $5 USB charge converter at some gas station that plugs into the car's 12V outlet. Works like a charm, although I try to be prepared enough not to need to charge in the car on the way to a gig.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
DWallace
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an iPad for several years on both indoor and outdoor gigs. I adjust the stand and angle to reduce the glare and have not had any problems. I also carry an external power bank just in case as well as a big zip lock bag in case of rain. Sure is easier to carry an iPad instead of several binders of music.
York Super Custom Cornet
Yamaha YTR-6445HS C Trumpet
Zeus Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR 2320
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this stuff called paper that uses a process of embedding the image in its fibers and is legible even in the most glaring light. It doesn't work well in the dark though and requires supplemental lighting but it may solve your outdoor problems.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
There's this stuff called paper that uses a process of embedding the image in its fibers and is legible even in the most glaring light. It doesn't work well in the dark though and requires supplemental lighting but it may solve your outdoor problems.

It has many problems besides the working in the dark. Like being blown around in the wind, being heavy and cumbersome when many sheets are required, getting wet and soggy, slow to find a piece in a large collection, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget when your sweat drips and the notes run.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
And don't forget when your sweat drips and the notes run.

Or handling awkward page turns, especially when using clips on a windy gig.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
pinstriper wrote:

I carry 2 2200mAh sticks. I haven't tested life, but I would bet probably an hour each.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this very helpful addition to the discussion. Why didn't we think of this solution before ?

I am very interested in how well this paper thing works out, when you have 450 songs in the book. I currently carry 1st through 4th parts for everything (and even 5th in about 20% of the book) in 1.5 pounds. So it needs to be an improvement on that.

That would be a large bankers box full of paper. Call it 6-8 reams of paper, somewhere north of 30# for your roadie to carry from the tour bus to the stage.

Now, you could just pull what you need based on the play list for the gig.

But when the director calls for 142, and 142 wasn't on the play list for the gig, or the rehearsal list, if you haven't brought all your magic paper, what do you do ?

I think this paper fad will not catch on.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I gave up on paper for outdoor gigs after playing in a big band with a huge book (the paper is actually kept in two separate big folders for each player). The leader frequently will call things off the cuff instead of from a set list, depending upon the gig and the crowd reactions.

Digging through two books quickly, then swapping them up onto the stand, versus 3 seconds with the finger on the menu in ForScore? No contest.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
I carry 2 2200mAh sticks. I haven't tested life, but I would bet probably an hour each.

I bought an Anker Powercore. Haven't had time to really test it yet. One warning for anyone going this route. The current draw on the initial charge for these after you get one is fairly intense, because I tried charging it off the wall brick for my iphone. Got so hot it fried the brick. Luckily I had a spare. I now charge it off a dedicated USB port on a UPS battery backup for my computer.

Just something to be aware of. It stores a lot of power, so it draws a lot of power when being fully charged. Power = heat. Be careful.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

It has many problems besides the working in the dark. Like being blown around in the wind, being heavy and cumbersome when many sheets are required, getting wet and soggy, slow to find a piece in a large collection, etc.

Yep. Like it or not, putting music on an electronic tablet has a lot of advantages. Perfect? No, what is? I started playing with a big band again recently, I had almost forgotten what a pain in the *** a huge book on paper could be.

(Interesting TH user name, by the way. “harryjamesworstnightmare”? Really)?

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I bought an Anker Powercore. Haven't had time to really test it yet. One warning for anyone going this route. The current draw on the initial charge for these after you get one is fairly intense, because I tried charging it off the wall brick for my iphone. Got so hot it fried the brick.

I'm curious, was this an Apple made charger? I'm an electrical engineer and I would be surprised if an Apple charger didn't include limiting to keep the current below what's likely to cause damage. Aftermarket charger? That's a whole different story.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: