• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another Lip Clamp Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Another Lip Clamp Question Reply with quote

When doing the lip clamp, are you supposed to squeeze the position as an isometric strength builder? I can do the roll-in, which results in the bunched chin, tightens the corners slightly, and can hold the position for an a long time with no fatigue. If I squeeze it as an isometric, then I definitely get a burn going in short order. The BE book isn't clear in that regard.

When going for the lip clamp "squeak" is the target a high pitch sound like stretching the neck of a balloon, or a legit lip buzz?
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another Lip Clamp Question Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
When doing the lip clamp, are you supposed to squeeze the position as an isometric strength builder? I can do the roll-in, which results in the bunched chin, tightens the corners slightly, and can hold the position for an a long time with no fatigue. If I squeeze it as an isometric, then I definitely get a burn going in short order. The BE book isn't clear in that regard.

I assume you are talking about doing the RI setup without using the horn. If so, then yes, you can apply it as an isometric. The value of this isometric will vary from player to player. Spend a few weeks experimenting, and see what happens. However, it is easy to overdo. I recommend moderation, as explained on page 80. Usually just doing the squeak provides enough of a muscular workout without the need to go for a burn.

The basic reason for the lip clamp exercise is to get players in the ballpark of how a rolled in setup is supposed to feel. When my students start doing the RI exercises properly, they typically stop doing the lip clamp and squeak exercises. Doing the RI exercises on the horn is enough.

I am glad that you have apparently found the RI position easy to achieve. About 20% of the players I encounter struggle to achieve a general rolled in setup.

MF Fan wrote:
When going for the lip clamp "squeak" is the target a high pitch sound like stretching the neck of a balloon, or a legit lip buzz?

The high pitch/neck of the balloon sound is correct.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: