• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Differences between Maggio and systematic approach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Differences between Maggio and systematic approach Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Just thought I would post in here in addition to the upper register development section, as I'm not familiar with this material. John Mohan has suggested CG to me as I want to develop my range from high f to high g.
What are the differences between these methods? They seem similar? In Maggio, you go down to relax a lot and not in CG? Is this used as a warm up first thing?

Anyway, hope you can clarify things for me.

Best
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG builds on and (greatly) extends the Maggio concepts. I think of it as "Maggio, updated". Your best bet is to get a couple of the CG books and dig in. I would suggest "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice" (SA) and "Brass Playing is No Harder Than Deep Breathing". Read the text in both; the latter provides insight into his approach and valuable background for all that follows. SA includes exercises plus a lot of extra material (referenced for you to acquire elsewhere). Do not skip the extra material; it is all part of the system.

Ask questions here; lots of CG students/advocates.

FWIWFM - Don

Last edited by Don Herman rev2 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look through the two "methods" -- Carlton McBeth's "The Original Louis Maggio System" and Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach" -- you'll see a lot of similarities in the exercises. If you read what they write, you'll see a lot of similarities in their approaches to trumpet playing.

The key difference, from my perspective, is that Claude Gordon took the exercises and made them part of a much more comprehensive routine (Systematic Approach).

So, if you just want to build your range with exercises involving pedal tones, either book is fine from my perspective. But if you are looking for a comprehensive approach to daily practice (with a strong emphasis on range and endurance), Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach" is the way to go.

And if you do go down that path, I'd urge you to take at least a few lessons from one of Claude Gordon's students. I highly recommend Bruce Haag, but Eric Bolvin, Matt Graves, John Mohan and Jeff Purtle are a few other students of CG that you could reach out to.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude was concerned about developing students to be complete skilled players and not just focused on range. So much of trumpet skills are interconnected. The flexibility studies like Irons, Colin, Smith, Staigers, St Jacome sections and Claude’s Daily Trumpet Routines develop and agility that helps range and sound and endurance. Tonguing exercises help range. Breath control exercises help. For breath control things to work in books like Clarke’s Technical Studies you have to first lay the foundation of the fingers striking hard and lifting high or you won’t play clean enough to accomplish the breath control aspect of that both that indirectly helps range and development of a playable range over a bigger range.

I might sound like I’m rambling but to benefit the most you can’t just use one book. The idea of a practice routine being systematic is also essential because it forces the player to adapt to various new challenges. As you move through material with a purpose and understanding of the mechanics like tongue level, k tongue modified, wind power and breath control being done a specific way then you can experience playing that is so much easier than most people understand.

There is an article on my site that gives an example of a routine and a little explanation.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Hit it Hard & Wish it Well in non-iPhone format? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get a copy of Hit it Hard & Wish it Well and is it available in any other format than Apple Books, which implies to me that, if I have no iPhone, I would need another format? Thanks!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry but it is an ebook with videos, audio, animations and other things embedded that can’t be done on paper. It is also able to be updated like an app so I can add to it and improve it over time with free updates. Apple does the best job of copy protecting their media and that’s why I have been reluctant to release it in another format. The easiest thing would be to buy an older iPad, iPhone, or iPodTouch which can now be found for as low as maybe $100 that will work fine.

Anyone that was at ITG in Miami could have seen a preview of it on a big screen and browsed the book on the iPad I had at the booth.

Feel free to call me anytime.
I would be glad to answer questions.
Leave a voicemail or text if I can’t answer.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"LOL". Thanks, Jeff.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: