• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn Selection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: flugel Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
The Schilke is a well made instrument; beautiful to look at and to hold. The sound is quite bright. It would be good, perhaps, in a BBB setting, but not so good for the dark sound we usually like in jazz.

I've never heard anyone say they wanted a flugel in a brass band to have a bright sound. I say this, having played flugel in a brass band for the last nine years. YMMV.

I was referencing some highly respected British bands whose videos I've watched on YT. The flugelhorn in those videos sounded, frankly, a lot like a Wild Thing Bb trumpet with a deep mouthpiece. It was not the "dark, smokey" sound of an Art Farmer or even a Serge Nakariakov. The Schilke I played sounded much more toward a trumpet sound than other brands I have played. Perhaps, that has developed and changed over the past several years.

It's always hard to know what people really mean when they say "bright" especially about flugels. If you mean 'not fluffy' or 'smoky' then I concede the point. I was thinking 'like a lead trumpet' bright, which is definitely not what brass bands are going for anywhere with the possible exception of Soprano, and even that's not really a good analogy.

Clarity of articulation is more of what is needed, as the parts can get quite technical in many pieces. Intonation is a much bigger deal than it would be in a big band setting or improv solo work also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: