• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece choice for comeback players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aseligman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece choice for comeback players Reply with quote

In my youth, I played lead on a Bush W2, sometimes W3. 30 years later, I have a hard time with these smaller mouthpieces and it seems the bigger ones, like a Bach 3c are easier to play. Now I can't even fit my chops into these.
Is there some rule/commonly known fact that when you get old, you need a wider mouthpiece? Did my chops just get fat like the rest of me, so I need something a bit more comfortable? Kind of like the mouthpiece version of sweatpants?
Or should I just try to play tighter and fit my chops into the smaller mp?
Avan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach 3C is a decent piece, I did the search for a mouth piece thing and finely settled for one that did not bite my lip.

Having said that, you don't mention how long you have been at it on this come back thing.

While a good fitting mouth piece is essential, and not knowing how long you have been at it this time, I would suggest you work with the ones you have for a while. Other then that you just might need to start the Mouth Piece Journey.

Best Wishes on you Comeback

" Man Without an Audience "
Album Release - 2017
" Mi Vida es Una Cancion "
Album release - 2022

USAF 1974-1980 E-4
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt a Bach 3C is a good place to start.

There is no rule that when you get older and/or fatter you need a bigger diameter cup. You just need what works for you and, generally, there are a range of mouthpieces that will work OK. A Bach 3C is a middle of the road mouthpiece, not too big and not too small.

The first step in coming back is to just get comfortable on the horn again. Once you're comfortable playing and getting positive results you can fine tune the mouthpiece selection with at least some degree of predictable results. Just don't expect miracles. There are no miracle mouthpieces.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: new mouthpiece Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to try different size mouthpieces. Affordable brands are Blessing and Yamaha. Most of my trumpet mouthpieces have been used.I would look at a 1 or a 1 C mouthpiece. Denis Wick and Curry have wide rims. I you don't like the mouthpiece resell it.

I have experimented with many sizes and brands. Decided I liked Denis Wick 3C or a Yamaha 14 e mouthpieces. Hated Bach mouthpieces.

Then I bought a Getzen 700 eterna trumpet this month. It came with a Bach 1.5 C mouthpiece. Keep the Bach 1.5 C and sold the Denis Wick 3 C and Yamaha 14 E mouthpiece. Bought as a backup a Denis Wick 2 W trumpet mouthpiece. For some odd reason I like to have two mouthpieces.

What is the age, brand and model of trumpet do you play? Do you give your trumpet and mouthpiece a regular bath?
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I came back on a 5c, which it turns out is also very similar to a 3c. Now I'm playing the Yamaha equivalent of a 1.5 c. They're all very close, but some you'll mesh with better or will suit your horn better.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. There is no commonality nor a rule.

I'll agree that a Bach 3C is a reasonable choice, however I'd say that unless you're planning on playing a lot, I would not go any larger. (lip size or thickness has little if anything to do with mouthpiece size) The "3" neighborhood to me is on the edge between mid-sized and large. There is a balance point (the mouthpiece is a bridge between you and the trumpet). I think, that though "large" mouthpieces work for some, this number is smaller than you think and some of those that are playing large mouthpieces would be better served by smaller ones.

Having a teacher or mentor that can assist in this judgement is always a better approach. We are rarely accurate at self diagnosis - "what I think I'm doing and sound like is quite often off target."

Some atop my list of first go to mouthpieces (in no particular order):
Bach 7C, or 3C (not a fan of Bach 5C's)
Yamaha 14B4, 11B4 standard or GP (not a fan of the C cups-bite is much sharper)
Curry 3C, 3M
Retired Air Force Bandsman
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I started playing again in 2016, fifty years before ( 1953 - 1965 ) I played a Conn 28B trumpet with Bach 10.5C mouthpiece. But I was in my teens and early twenties then. I was 80 when I started again and the small 10.5 no longer worked. For quite a while I used a 5C and a 3 now and then when the 5 gave me trouble. But a year ago I discovered the Wedge and a lot of good things have happened with my playing since then. The rim ID on the model I am using is just a tad larger than a 3C. So I do feel, in my case, that age had something to do with needing a larger size mp.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back using a Benge 7C, that came with the used horn I bought. Tried a Belsing 3C - Both are designed after Bach MPC's. The 7C seems to work better for me, but that's just me. 3C feels like too much of my lips are in it. Have no recall of what size i used 50 yrs ago.

So George, you mention great results with the Wedge. What benefits, in particular, have you gained from the switch?

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 36 years off I started back on a Bach 5C- where I left off. After a few months went to a symphonic version of Bach 5C with a more wide open backbore and throat. Have more air then when I was younger.

Went to a Wedge mouthpiece similar to the Symphonic 5C and then to a slightly smaller Wedge per Dr. Dave's suggestion. Helped with endurance and range. Found the Wedge mouthpieces to be more comfortable than the Bachs. This was all over about 16 months time period.

I agree you should probably get some time in before you start the mouthpiece safari!

Good luck!
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s that old saying that 3Cs are “the biggest of the small mouthpieces and smallest of the big mouthpieces.”

theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
There’s that old saying that 3Cs are “the biggest of the small mouthpieces and smallest of the big mouthpieces.”

Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Bach 7C, and recently bought a 3C. I posted my first impressions over on the Mouthpiece forum.

Oddly enough, I got several downright hostile responses. I guess mouthpiece choice can be a pretty partisan topic!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_Bumps wrote:
I've been playing a Bach 7C, and recently bought a 3C. I posted my first impressions over on the Mouthpiece forum.

Oddly enough, I got several downright hostile responses. I guess mouthpiece choice can be a pretty partisan topic!

You got hostile responses on here??? No way.

I hope the 3C is working for you. I live in that range, so I'm always fiddling.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:

So George, you mention great results with the Wedge. What benefits, in particular, have you gained from the switch?

Sorry for taking so long to answer you. The Wedge gave me almost an instant increase in endurance. It didn't increase my range, but did make playing higher easier. My articulation and intonation also improved. It is the most comfortable mouthpiece I have ever put to my chops.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to answer you. The Wedge gave me almost an instant increase in endurance. It didn't increase my range, but did make playing higher easier. My articulation and intonation also improved. It is the most comfortable mouthpiece I have ever put to my chops.

I was curious to see what you were talking about, so I searched for the Wedge website to see for myself. It's certainly a radical design, and interesting. But holy crud, it's expensive!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_Bumps wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:

I was curious to see what you were talking about, so I searched for the Wedge website to see for myself. It's certainly a radical design, and interesting. But holy crud, it's expensive!

Yes, it seems like a lot of mouthpieces are at the 200 plus mark now.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece choice for comeback players Reply with quote

aseligman wrote:
In my youth, I played lead on a Bush W2, sometimes W3. 30 years later, I have a hard time with these smaller mouthpieces and it seems the bigger ones, like a Bach 3c are easier to play. Now I can't even fit my chops into these.
Is there some rule/commonly known fact that when you get old, you need a wider mouthpiece? Did my chops just get fat like the rest of me, so I need something a bit more comfortable? Kind of like the mouthpiece version of sweatpants?
Or should I just try to play tighter and fit my chops into the smaller mp?

Many years ago, when I started my comeback, I started on the mouthpiece I'd used when I was last in what for me passed as playing form ... my trusty Bach 1.5C.

About a year in, my wife (Susie) and I went to ITG, and heard Jens Lindemann's Mouthpiece Rant. As I posted a few months after the fact:
_swthiel wrote:
Our dialogue as we left the hall was (approximately):
Quote:
Me: "Hmm, maybe I should be playing on a smaller mouthpiece."
Her: "Well, what size mouthpiece do you use?"
Me: "1 1/2C."
Her: "Isn't that too big? Don't you have a smaller one?"
Me: "Yes, I have a 5C and a 7C at home."
Her: "Well, you'd better switch to that 7C thing."

She actually nagged me for about a week after we got home, until I promised to try making the change. The 7C was too small for comfort, but the 5C was pretty much a home run after about a week of playing.

That was about 15 years ago, and I was about a year into my comeback so my playing mechanism was working reasonably well. Getting older has not led me to a larger mouthpiece (I still don't like my sound as much on a Bach 3C as on my 5C), but I think we all age a bit differently and I'm not that old ... only 61 ...

If you're just getting started again, I'd suggest finding something not horribly expensive that works for you now and postpone your mouthpiece hunt until your playing is well on its way to whatever "normal" is going to be for you.
RickC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found just the opposite after a 38 year layoff. When I put the horn down in 1981 I was playing a Schilke 15C4. So I got a new one to see if I'd be able to still play one, and no... it's like my whole face was falling in.

4 1/2 months into this now, I have settled on a Yamaha 11A4, which would be like a Bach 7E with a sort of flatter, wider Schilke rim. For several weeks I would alternate between a (new) Bach 10 1/2C and a Schilke 10B4- and found the Bach's tone (for me) was darker than I wanted, and the Schilke was much brighter and easier to do flexibility exercises and lip trills. It does not require much effort to play, but even though it made some things easier for me, my tone was thin, and I would often overshoot notes- going higher than I'd intended.

The Yamaha 11A4 didn't take that much adjustment and I do have to work a little harder to get above high C, but it sounds a lot better for me.

I can't say whether I will head back to a larger cup as things progress, or whether I will stay right where I am with a mouthpiece-- just saying that I ended up going with a smaller mouthpiece than Back In The Day, so I don't think there's any rule of thumb.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a 3C is a good choice, as it is at any age. But to qualify that remark, when I came back after years away from trumpet, I couldn't maintain my breath support as when I was young. After a long safari, I came across a 3C with the Slightly tighter #76 backbore instead of the stock #10 backbore. That did it! The slight bit of added resistance helped me manage my breath much better, and my mid-70's 3C sits on the shelf.

So, to add to the above that it is alright to try different mouthpieces, it is just as alright, if not preferable, and if there are endurance or breath support issues, to try different backbores as well: not too loose, not too tight, but every player will find a combination that works.

Oh - BTW - one of my best friends is a retired band director, so I consulted him at all points through the comeback. As with the young sprouts, have a good teacher assess your situation to help recommend what might facilitate a good comeback, including mouthpiece specs, warmup and development literature.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
As with the young sprouts, have a good teacher assess your situation to help recommend what might facilitate a good comeback, including mouthpiece specs, warmup and development literature.

^^^ THIS!

The smartest thing I did when I started my comeback was to get lessons. We didn't talk about gear at all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: