• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Torpedo bag smell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horn-by-the-lake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Torpedo bag smell Reply with quote

Hello!

I bought a torpedo bag a few months ago and love it! I walk and bike to work, and also ride the train. It's awesome. People think it's a badass yoga mat bag. I've gotten a lot of compliments from it.

My only issue is that it's developed an odor after only a few months. It smells a little like old cheese. I'm embarrassed to open my bag at jam sessions and gigs because of the smell. I'm wondering if other people have experienced this and it's just how the padding smells. Or whether I did something to make it smell (none of my other trumpet cases have smelled). Or whether I just got a lemon of a bag.

Thanks!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They absolutely do not develop any odor at all, I’ve used them for years. I have to think either your horn transferred the smell into the case, or is it possible something else was inadvertently left in the case? Because of their design, it’s possible that something fell down into the case that you didn’t notice.
Also, did you buy it new or used?

Brad
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been around a few Torpedoes but have one tale of woe about the smell -- and it was not the bag's fault. The owner was in the habit of using the bag during a gig to protect his horn (good idea) and would shove it in at every break and sometimes when there was a song he did not play. He would also throw it in right after the gig and head out the door. He never blew out the horn, and on stage we'd have to remind him to empty the water keys. You can see where this is going...

At one point it began to smell, and he discovered a damp moldy stinking pile of goo at the bottom from accumulated moisture and attendant foodstuffs and whatever. Cleaning it out was a pain but he finally managed to clean and disinfect the mess Then he put a plastic bag at the bottom with a cloth inside so when he sticks the horn in it slides in the bag that traps all the moisture etc.

HTH - Don
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
I've only been around a few Torpedoes but have one tale of woe about the smell -- and it was not the bag's fault. The owner was in the habit of using the bag during a gig to protect his horn (good idea) and would shove it in at every break and sometimes when there was a song he did not play. He would also throw it in right after the gig and head out the door. He never blew out the horn, and on stage we'd have to remind him to empty the water keys. You can see where this is going...

At one point it began to smell, and he discovered a damp moldy stinking pile of goo at the bottom from accumulated moisture and attendant foodstuffs and whatever. Cleaning it out was a pain but he finally managed to clean and disinfect the mess Then he put a plastic bag at the bottom with a cloth inside so when he sticks the horn in it slides in the bag that traps all the moisture etc.

HTH - Don

🤭 Yikes.

Brad
horn-by-the-lake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it off Amazon and assume it was new. I usually keep it closed to avoid having discoloration of my silver plated horn. Do you normally keep it open to dry out? I live in San Francisco which is a little more humid most of the time.

[quote="Brad361"]They absolutely do not develop any odor at all, I’ve used them for years. I have to think either your horn transferred the smell into the case, or is it possible something else was inadvertently left in the case? Because of their design, it’s possible that something fell down into the case that you didn’t notice.

Brad[/quote]
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of silver tarnish, I purchased some material from JoAnn fabrics that retards tarnish. I made a pouch/bag out of that and put my horns into one before putting them into their case.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try to put in a borescope to see if anything is hiding near the bottom of the case?

I usually put a paper towel at the bottom of a Torpedo so that any drops of spit (or droplets of water remaining in the leadpipe after flushing the horn) can be absorbed.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

horn-by-the-lake wrote:
I bought it off Amazon and assume it was new. I usually keep it closed to avoid having discoloration of my silver plated horn. Do you normally keep it open to dry out? I live in San Francisco which is a little more humid most of the time.

Brad361 wrote:
They absolutely do not develop any odor at all, I’ve used them for years. I have to think either your horn transferred the smell into the case, or is it possible something else was inadvertently left in the case? Because of their design, it’s possible that something fell down into the case that you didn’t notice.

Brad

I just keep mine (I have three) closed, and I’m in Houston where it’s a LOT humid. Never developed an odor.
If you’re careful, you can remove the pad in the bottom of the case, maybe check yours to see if that’s where the odor is coming from. I also store my Torpedo cases horizontally, not vertically, not sure if that makes any difference. If all else fails, call or email Torpedo.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have several in the store, new, and ones that have horns in them for some time. There is no odor.

I suspect that your horn is leaking some moisture which has caused some stinky growth.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
We have several in the store, new, and ones that have horns in them for some time. There is no odor.

I suspect that your horn is leaking some moisture which has caused some stinky growth.

That would be my guess also. I’ve owned quite a few Torpedos, never had any odor at all.

As I mentioned to the OP, try removing and cleaning that pad in the bottom, I’ll bet that’s where the smell is. But if a horn is leaking something excessively (I hate to think WHAT), it might happen again. This could be a job for Tim’s “Best Damn Leadpipe Swab Period” swab!
😎

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: