• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miles Blue In Green Scale ??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there is no lydian chromatic concept theoretical stuff going on in this tune. Its a simple simple tune, and miles and coltrane play simply and "normally" and its easy to see what is going on if you understand the basic major and minor scales and can recognize them either on paper or by hearing them or preferably both.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , in short, I'd like to be able to improvise around Blue in Green, followed shortly thereafter by Flamenco Sketches. Being able to create my own music with a similar sound to it would be a dream too.

When I started looking at the former, to get an idea of what scale (NOT scaleS) I could not help but notice that every scale I superimposed on it - at least the rough outline in the Hal Leonard... kind of REAL edition - had quite a few scale breaking notes.

The first posts I got here were that it's a few different scales and even then some passing notes thrown in. At that point, I'm thinking, "well that's hardly a formula". The replies seemed to be rather ambiguous. So, off i went for more research and that is when i stumbled upon this idea of Modal Jazz. None of the replies mentioned Modal Jazz but so many of the musicologists analysis of the entire album .... well it was all they talked about.

I haven't had the time yet to take the book and the slide rules at the back of the book to analyze the more complete charts published online yet. The book does tell the student how to build modal scales around certain chord types and the few exercises I've done so far are really promising.

I'll take a break from anymore updates until I have had the chance to do my own due diligence with the George Russel book and of course follow up on all of these suggestions here.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s just way way way more simple than that.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcribe all the solos. Sounds like a lot of work but actually it’s way less painful then trying to think about scales while playing a song like Blue In Green. You’ll sound a trillion times better as well.

None of those guys were thinking about scales when they recorded it. It makes no sense for you to think that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: