• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy135

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi all

I recently became lead trumpet in my college jazz ensemble and I am looking into investing in a lead mouthpiece. I have played on a Bach 3c for many years and I can do most everything on it. I definitely prefer a deeper cup to a shallow one. Any suggestions?

Thanks
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
try the Yam Shew lead, or some mpcs in Marcinkiewicz endorsee serie which IDs are in the C park. You can chose between various cup depths.

best
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

tommy135 wrote:
Hi all

I recently became lead trumpet in my college jazz ensemble and I am looking into investing in a lead mouthpiece. I have played on a Bach 3c for many years and I can do most everything on it. I definitely prefer a deeper cup to a shallow one. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If you can do most everything on a Bach 3C why are you looking to change?

What do you want a so-called "lead mouthpiece" to enable you to do that you aren't already doing?
tommy135

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly because the other day I tried one of my friends lead mouthpiece and I was just blown away by how my upper register sounded all of the sudden. I mean its good on my 3c but on that piece I have never had that big a sound. It was a lot of fun. I just kinda wanna see if its something I wanna use because I have never really used anything but a 3c or 7c. The reason I asked here is there is just so much out there I just wanted a good place to start.
tommy135

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Hello
try the Yam Shew lead, or some mpcs in Marcinkiewicz endorsee serie which IDs are in the C park. You can chose between various cup depths.

best

Thanks I am gonna give the bobby shew a go
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy135 wrote:
Mostly because the other day I tried one of my friends lead mouthpiece and I was just blown away by how my upper register sounded all of the sudden. I mean its good on my 3c but on that piece I have never had that big a sound. It was a lot of fun. I just kinda wanna see if its something I wanna use because I have never really used anything but a 3c or 7c. The reason I asked here is there is just so much out there I just wanted a good place to start.

So, why not get the same mouthpiece your friend has? You tried it. You liked it. It seems that would be a logical "good place to start."

What was it?
Pauvog11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
tommy135 wrote:

So, why not get the same mouthpiece your friend has? You tried it. You liked it. It seems that would be a logical "good place to start."

What was it?

What does your friend have? If it worked for you, might be a good place to start
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shew pieces are a narrower ID than your 3C. That may or may not work for you. I have a friend who was playing broadway shows in NYC, a 3C player, but he used an MMP Shew 1.5 for lead and commercial work. MMP has two JWM (Joe Marcinkowicz personal) pieces that are practically a #3C ID. There are many options. I've also known several very solid lead players (Danny Barber (RIP) and Ron Turner) who played everything on the 3C. One of my best friends plays a Yamaha 14A4aGP which is in the ballpark ID wise with the 3C. Etc, etc.

Curry's 3 series is excellent. Check out the 3*, it has a Purviance style cup. I have a mint condition 3M for sale. PM me if you are interested.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The Shew pieces are a narrower ID than your 3C. That may or may not work for you. I have a friend who was playing broadway shows in NYC, a 3C player, but he used an MMP Shew 1.5 for lead and commercial work. MMP has two JWM (Joe Marcinkowicz personal) pieces that are practically a #3C ID. There are many options. I've also known several very solid lead players (Danny Barber (RIP) and Ron Turner) who played everything on the 3C. One of my best friends plays a Yamaha 14A4aGP which is in the ballpark ID wise with the 3C. Etc, etc.

Curry's 3 series is excellent. Check out the 3*, it has a Purviance style cup. I have a mint condition 3M for sale. PM me if you are interested.

There was a typing error indeed, i wanted to say that Marc. have also in the endorsee serie mpcs in the 3C ID park.
A friend of mine plays 3C for all around and uses a the yam shew for lead even if smaller. It works for some, same as classical players using 1 1/2C for regular work, and a 7D or so like Maurice André for piccolo
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find something in your same inner diameter or smaller.
V Cup or Bowl Cup or Hybrid;
open throat or tight throat etc.

http://www.trumpetperformancetips.com/trumpet-mouthpiece-comparison-chart.html
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff is so personal. I have much better success using a smaller-diameter piece for commercial work than trying to keep the same rim size for everything.

The idea of having the same rim size and just switching up cup depth and backbore for different applications is so appealing that I tried to make it work for a very long time, but ultimately I do best with a 3-size piece for most stuff, and a 7-sized piece (Greg Black NY2S) for commercial/lead. This piece has a wider rim however, so the feel on the face isn't so different.

Everyone is different - this is just to say that you'll probably need to experiment quite a bit.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

tommy135 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks

You don’t have to make a drastic change to play lead on a different mouthpiece. Going from a 3C you could go to a 3D, or a Shew Jazz (similar to a 3D) , Warburton 4M or 5M, etc. Someone mentioned the Shew Lead but that is so much more shallow than you current mouthpiece.

Play what works for you.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: