• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Influential trumpeters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Trumpet greatness Reply with quote

Of course Louis Armstrong who literally invented swing as we know it. The lists here are certainly (mostly) complete but a name that might surprise my friends is Herb Alpert, who was most influential in turning kids onto the trumpet when in an era when the saxophone got most of the attention, the trumpet was (sort of) forgotten.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first album by a trumpet player I bought - in what we then called "junior high" - was by Al Hirt. I was familiar with Louis Armstrong, as my father was a Dixieland fan. I had heard of Mendez and Harry James, but at the time, I was too young and immature for their music to have any impact on me.

Al Hirt was hugely popular, and I listened to a lot of his music. Later, I enjoyed Doc on the Tonight Show. Those were the guys who kept me interested in trumpet while all my buddies in the '60s were taking up electric guitars, although I did play a lot of bass guitar for many years without ever completely giving up the trumpet.

It was only as I got older that I started listening to Miles, Chet, Wynton, etc.

I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to an Al Hirt recording, but without his influence at the time, I'd have never stayed with the trumpet.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Influential Trumpeters Reply with quote

Dr. Manhattan wrote:
What Didymus wrote:

"And then there is one name that deserves a special mention because he would be repeated in multiple sub-genres (Bebop, Cool, Hard-Bop, Fusion) through nearly all of the post-war jazz styles: Miles Davis. </mic drop>"

And how about Roy Hargrove?
Not only did he influence a lot of the younger trumpet players, Roy also spent a lot of time jamming into the early morning hours with all instrumentalists who wanted to learn the Great American Song book.

Fixed it.

One reason why I left the late Mr. Hargrove off the list because I was unsure as to how incredibly influential he was. I was trying to go through names of soloists who both represented a particular style really well, and who were known to more than just the trumpet-cornet playing world. For example, a fan of the HIP approach to baroque music would know who Crispian Steele-Perkins is. Anybody who sat through a blockbuster Hollywood movie made in the last 40 years heard Maurice Murphy even if they didn't know his name. Millions of people watched Doc Severinsen on TV on the tonight show. Jazz aficionados, regardless of which instrument they prefer or play, all agree that Woody Shaw was one of the most forward thinking and harmonically complex cats in the jazz world. Et cetera, et cetera.

(If I had set the bar so high as to include bona-fide household names, at least in the English speaking world, most of the guys on my long list would have been left off......)

Another reason is because of ageism. Even as a middle-aged man, I'm still prone to thinking that influential most also mean players who were significantly older than I am. Hargrove was roughly my age when he died; I think would have turned 50 this coming November. In terms of musical ability I am most certainly *NOT* his peer, but he was a Gen-Xer, like me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: