• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Resume template?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Resume template? Reply with quote

Where would I find a resume template for musicians? Is there such a thing? I am trying to get hired by a local dinner theater and was asked to supply a resume. I'm 51 years old and it's been years since I've had to update My resume, and I've never done one for a gig before. Any help is appreciated.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are it need not be fancy. Google yields a bunch of templates; here's one: https://resumegenius.com/resume-samples/music-resume-example

HTH - Don
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a template, but I often refer students to these resources at Eastman and NEC.

https://iml.esm.rochester.edu/careers/

https://necmusic.edu/em/guidebook

This essay is specific to teaching positions.

http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2012/01/16/essay-applying-music-faculty-positions

Best
Matt
safiyabello84

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you were aiming for a position at a local dinner theater, your resume should focus on your musical expertise, performances, and any relevant accomplishments. Highlight the types of music you specialize in, your instruments, and noteworthy gigs you've participated in.
LullabySir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the thread is from a few years back, your inquiry about a resume template for musicians is still relevant. Crafting a resume tailored to your musical background remains crucial. You can find various resources online that provide templates and guidance for creating resumes specifically for musicians.
Considering your concern about updating your resume after a period of time, there are many helpful tools available now. https://excalibur.guide/ai/ai-resume-writing-prompts/ offers AI-driven prompts for resume writing, which could be beneficial. Maintaining a professional format and showcasing your strengths succinctly will be key.

Last edited by LullabySir on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the requirements from a potential employer before you spend countless hours sweating over a detailed resume. I certainly prepared a number of detailed academic resumes in case I needed them but, as it turned out, was wasted energy.

In over half century of professional, full-time musical work, I don't think I ever got a job based on an academic resume as opposed to just finding out, from the potential employer what s/he was looking for and then confining my written info to that. Don't diffuse your focus on the requirements with extraneous material.

Tailor the written material to the job. Come to think of it, I got most of my work from word-of-mouth. not a resume.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Come to think of it, I got most of my work from word-of-mouth. not a resume.

True for me, as well. I don't recall the last time I was asked for a resume, but I do keep a 'list' mostly to correct any possible recollection inaccuracies down the road, as to when/where I've played. It could, if pressed to do so, form the basis for a resume, I suppose.

I had a look at that Eastman link from earlier in this thread, and there seems to be some good explanations, as well as examples found on that site, and it seems like a good place to start.
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to update your resume every 4 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: