• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Enjoying my Tromba Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outskiing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Enjoying my Tromba Flugelhorn Reply with quote

About a month ago I picked up a Tromba flugelhorn off of Amazon.com to play around with. While my expectations were not very high, I have been surprised with its mellow sound and how easy it is to play. I have even received several compliments when playing it at church. I was wondering if anyone else has played around with one of these horns. I especially enjoy playing slow jazz standards like "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" and "Moonlight in Vermont".

Cheers!
C trump

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tromba Flugal horn seems to be an exceptional sound for a plastic horn and quite lite weight. Been thinking about getting one, but thought to check in here first. Anyone with some opinions on this horn and the sound, thanks.

This YouTube video has the sound I am looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT25vbdLtX0

Edit, this is another video, again great sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPZCHItrfuU
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played one. I've played a plastic trumpet, not impressed. I've played the pBone - it was Ok for what it was.

The second linked video was highly processed, obviously with reverb added. Nothing in the sound of the first video was what I would call impressive.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound OK, for a Flugel like object. Standing alone, they play ok and the sound resembles a flugel. but still a plastic instrument.
Valves are clacky at best, and have a very low tollerance, so I think leak a bit, and the tone, though not unpleasant, does not stand up to even a mid-level brass Flugel.

If your looking for a novelty, a toy, a cute thing to goof around with, OK. If you're looking for an instrument for gigs - not so much.

I work with a trombonist, an outstanding player-jazz artist, who just bought himself a carbon-fibre trombone (expensive); he loves it for the lack of weight, quickness and doesn't mind the sound. However, I wish he would ask his mates their opinion.. none of us really like it. It's just not the same and doesn't stand up in section work. When he's soloing it's passable.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
C trump

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your opinions on this thing. i have been wanting a flugal horn most of my life and figured this is a cheap way to do it perhaps with decent sound.

but maybe not the best solution. i may just sample the thing, and return if the sound isn't passable at amazon. i found some inexpensive ones for 400 to 500 on the net and may spring for one of those or perhaps find used.

recently picked my horn back up and thought this may keep me interested in playing, but also considering a wood wind for the aging embouchure. thanks again.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trump wrote:
The Tromba Flugal horn seems to be an exceptional sound for a plastic horn and quite lite weight. Been thinking about getting one, but thought to check in here first. Anyone with some opinions on this horn and the sound, thanks.

It seems the larger the tubing the less obvious the plastic in the sound. Plastic trombones don't sound too terrible whereas every plastic trumpet I've ever heard sounds like crap. The plastic flugels fall somewhere in between.

Even a cheap brass flugel is going to sound better than a plastic one. The recording of your second link is the better of the two, but I think the skillful playing and effects is misdirecting you from the basic sound of the instrument. From what I've heard the moving parts of plastic valved horns often develop problems.

For maybe $100 more than a new Tromba you can get a perfectly playable brass flugel that I believe will also last you a long time.

Two Chinese stencil flugels I got for under $300, both of which I think sound objectively better than the Tromba. Paid about $150 used for the first one - had a missing valve button inlay and a resoldered 3rd valve trigger anchor. I'm using the generic mouthpiece that came with it. I found the missing inlay hiding in the folds of the case and re-glued it. The valves on both are fine - fast and buttery smooth.

Link

Paid around $280 for this one. Using a very mellow Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece. Probably as mellow a flugel mp as exists. If it comes up "video unavailable" here in the applet as it does for me for some reason, go to the link instead.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
C trump

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
C trump wrote:

It seems the larger the tubing the less obvious the plastic in the sound. Plastic trombones don't sound too terrible whereas every plastic trumpet I've ever heard sounds like crap. The plastic flugels fall somewhere in between.

Even a cheap brass flugel is going to sound better than a plastic one. The recording of your second link is the better of the two, but I think the skillful playing and effects is misdirecting you from the basic sound of the instrument. From what I've heard the moving parts of plastic valved horns often develop problems.

For maybe $100 more than a new Tromba you can get a perfectly playable brass flugel that I believe will also last you a long time.

Two Chinese stencil flugels I got for under $300, both of which I think sound objectively better than the Tromba. Paid about $150 used for the first one - had a missing valve button inlay and a resoldered 3rd valve trigger anchor. I'm using the generic mouthpiece that came with it. I found the missing inlay hiding in the folds of the case and re-glued it. The valves on both are fine - fast and buttery smooth.

Link

Paid around $280 for this one. Using a very mellow Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece. Probably as mellow a flugel mp as exists. If it comes up "video unavailable" here in the applet as it does for me for some reason, go to the link instead.

Link

thank you Robert, very convincing. you probably have redirected many newbie flugal guys onto a better path. i have looked at a few cheap flugals and would have to agree that a good sound could be had from one of those. now back to my Holton horns, when this come back player is ready, this will be a better place to look.

Edit, Robert what would be the name of the second horn, and which one do you feel would be the best for under 300? thanks.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trump wrote:
Robert P wrote:

thank you Robert, very convincing. you probably have redirected many newbie flugal guys onto a better path. i have looked at a few cheap flugals and would have to agree that a good sound could be had from one of those. now back to my Holton horns, when this come back player is ready, this will be a better place to look.

Edit, Robert what would be the name of the second horn, and which one do you feel would be the best for under 300? thanks.

I don't know if I've steered anyone but I try to shed some light of reality on the topic.

The model name attached to the second one is a Vento 5309 but like the first one, it's really meaningless. It's not a "real" model like a Bach, Benge, Getzen etc.. The Chinese manufacturers will put any name a reseller wants on the horns. I got those two horns out of curiosity to see how two randomly selected Chinese cheapies sounded. There were some slight dimensional differences but they're essentially the same horn. I'd say the Vento's sound is maybe a shade darker/mellower but nothing dramatic. I don't have any recordings where I compared them side by side with the same mouthpiece. I sold the Barrington because I didn't need two and the Vento was a bit nicer cosmetically.

If you search eBay with term "Professional rose brass flugelhorn" or Professional silver plate flugelhorn you'll find a number of them. The ones you're looking for are the ones around the $280 - $300 area that specify made in China. I'd stay away from anything that's made in India. My understanding is the Indian horns are garbage.

You'll also find Allora horns but as far as I know they're the exact same horns just with double or more the price.

Another sample of that Vento. You do need to use that trigger for 1-3, 1-2-3 combinations, you'll hear the first low D I hit is pretty well in tune, I got lazy on another one and it's sharp - ergh.

I don't know why they're coming up "video unavailable".

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
outskiing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Still a Fun Toy Reply with quote

I bought the Tromba just to see if I would like playing flugelhorn. I did and since sold the plastic horn and bought a brass one which I am currently enjoying.
C trump

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Still a Fun Toy Reply with quote

outskiing wrote:
I bought the Tromba just to see if I would like playing flugelhorn. I did and since sold the plastic horn and bought a brass one which I am currently enjoying.

great, and since you were able to resell it, then worth every penny.

regarding reselling, after trying to find flugelhorns for sale on craigslist and marketplace, it probably is a sellers market. there basically is very few flugels for sale on these markets. if you want trumpets for sale, then bushels of them are for sale very affordable.
C trump

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

I don't know if I've steered anyone but I try to shed some light of reality on the topic.

The model name attached to the second one is a Vento 5309 but like the first one, it's really meaningless. It's not a "real" model like a Bach, Benge, Getzen etc.. The Chinese manufacturers will put any name a reseller wants on the horns. I got those two horns out of curiosity to see how two randomly selected Chinese cheapies sounded. There were some slight dimensional differences but they're essentially the same horn. I'd say the Vento's sound is maybe a shade darker/mellower but nothing dramatic. I don't have any recordings where I compared them side by side with the same mouthpiece. I sold the Barrington because I didn't need two and the Vento was a bit nicer cosmetically.

If you search eBay with term "Professional rose brass flugelhorn" or Professional silver plate flugelhorn you'll find a number of them. The ones you're looking for are the ones around the $280 - $300 area that specify made in China. I'd stay away from anything that's made in India. My understanding is the Indian horns are garbage.

You'll also find Allora horns but as far as I know they're the exact same horns just with double or more the price.

Another sample of that Vento. You do need to use that trigger for 1-3, 1-2-3 combinations, you'll hear the first low D I hit is pretty well in tune, I got lazy on another one and it's sharp - ergh.

I don't know why they're coming up "video unavailable".

Link

thank you Robert. very little info is available on these horns and worth a try. the samples you provide are the sound i am looking for.

is that you playing the instrument?

i searched ebay, it seems that most of these are buying direct from china but i would prefer amazon for fast shipping and available for 300 and change.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trump wrote:
thank you Robert. very little info is available on these horns and worth a try. the samples you provide are the sound i am looking for.

i searched ebay, it seems that most of these are buying direct from china but i would prefer amazon for fast shipping and available for 300 and change.

Yes, that's me playing. I'm glad you find the samples useful.

One thing I would recommend is if you get one new make a point of cleaning the horn completely before playing to clean out any manufacturing debris - lapping compound, etc. and wiping down the valves and running a cloth through the valve casings every time you play it for a while, while the valves are breaking in, to get rid of the buildup of debris on the new valves.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
C trump

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
C trump wrote:

Yes, that's me playing. I'm glad you find the samples useful.

One thing I would recommend is if you get one new make a point of cleaning the horn completely before playing to clean out any manufacturing debris - lapping compound, etc. and wiping down the valves and running a cloth through the valve casings every time you play it for a while, while the valves are breaking in, to get rid of the buildup of debris on the new valves.

excellent idea. probably a good thing to do for any instrument.

Edit, the sweet sound of your horns has me wondering how can a pro horn be much better? i haven't heard a better flugel sound or is that just me? it would be interesting to hear a good comparison of a pro horn to your samples.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trump wrote:
Edit, the sweet sound of your horns has me wondering how can a pro horn be much better? i haven't heard a better flugel sound or is that just me? it would be interesting to hear a good comparison of a pro horn to your samples.

"Better" of course is highly subjective and there are a lot of variables. The horn, the mouthpiece, the player - there's a guy named Bill Colletti who I believe has an account here on Trumpet Herald who probably has the most dusky, mellow flugel sound I've ever heard. There are videos for example of him playing some boutique Andy Taylor flugels, one of which using the Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece. However I've heard videos of others playing these horns and they don't sound like him, a lot of it is obviously his personal approach - he has a somewhat unorthodox embouchure. You and I could get the exact same setup and we're likely not going to sound like him.

Also you're hearing the sound of a recorded horn with variables there - the mic and whatever coloration it adds, the room, the proximity to the mic.

There might be horns you would like better, different character, maybe better intonation, whatever but the main thing is you don't have to pay big bucks to get a decent flugel sound.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
C trump

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
C trump wrote:

"Better" of course is highly subjective and there are a lot of variables. The horn, the mouthpiece, the player - there's a guy named Bill Colletti who I believe has an account here on Trumpet Herald who probably has the most dusky, mellow flugel sound I've ever heard. There are videos for example of him playing some boutique Andy Taylor flugels, one of which using the Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece. However I've heard videos of others playing these horns and they don't sound like him, a lot of it is obviously his personal approach - he has a somewhat unorthodox embouchure. You and I could get the exact same setup and we're likely not going to sound like him.

Also you're hearing the sound of a recorded horn with variables there - the mic and whatever coloration it adds, the room, the proximity to the mic.

There might be horns you would like better, different character, maybe better intonation, whatever but the main thing is you don't have to pay big bucks to get a decent flugel sound.

the back ground music you are playing to adds to your recording immensely. i used to play to 'band in the box', just wondering what kind of setup you use to make your videos.

first class whatever it is.

Quote:
"Better" of course is highly subjective and there are a lot of variables. The horn, the mouthpiece, the player - there's a guy named Bill Colletti who I believe has an account here on Trumpet Herald who probably has the most dusky, mellow flugel sound I've ever heard.

well your sound is good/great enuf for me. my gut tells me that there would be little difference between you playing a high end horn...well at least to what i hear on the recording.

however, years ago i played a high end flugel....and it was over the top, so i thought that was the only solution. your recording prove otherwise.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trump wrote:
Robert P wrote:

the back ground music you are playing to adds to your recording immensely. i used to play to 'band in the box', just wondering what kind of setup you use to make your videos.

Lol. Actually, it's another budget demonstration that you don't have to spend a fortune to get decent recording quality.

The mic used in the videos of the Barrington and Vento flugels against the black curtain is a Marshall MXL 1006 that I modified with beefed-up electronics from a magazine article. I originally paid around $100 for it. The mic used on the Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" video is a Marshall MXL V63M, normally around $180, I got one from Musician's Friend on a Stupid Deal Of The Day special for $59.99. It happens to work really well on flugel. All the mics are running through a Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp, a solid but not expensive unit. I have two, both I got on "B stock" special - one for I believe $75 the other for around $100. The video was shot with a Sony Digital8 camera - it shoots in 16:9 but it's SD not HD, I upconverted to 720P for faux HD and sync'd the audio up that was recorded to a computer, just lined up the audio from the video with the audio recorded through the mic.

The Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas track is a track I found on Youtube, the others are karaoke tracks from elsewhere.

This is the Vento again with the Denis Wick 4FL - I was experimenting with yet another MXL mic - an MXL990 - got two of them on super cheapie sale I believe for $49 each. If for some reason it doesn't play in the window on Google Drive you can download the mp3 by using the downward pointing arrow you should see in the upper right. You'll probably want to lower the volume about 50% or so.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZXgfLgiOWkzWHJMckFLZUU/view?usp=sharing
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
C trump

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
C trump wrote:
Robert P wrote:

Lol. Actually, it's another budget demonstration that you don't have to spend a fortune to get decent recording quality.

The mic used in the videos of the Barrington and Vento flugels against the black curtain is a Marshall MXL 1006 that I modified with beefed-up electronics from a magazine article. I originally paid around $100 for it. The mic used on the Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" video is a Marshall MXL V63M, normally around $180, I got one from Musician's Friend on a Stupid Deal Of The Day special for $59.99. It happens to work really well on flugel. All the mics are running through a Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp, a solid but not expensive unit. I have two, both I got on "B stock" special - one for I believe $75 the other for around $100. The video was shot with a Sony Digital8 camera - it shoots in 16:9 but it's SD not HD, I upconverted to 720P for faux HD and sync'd the audio up that was recorded to a computer, just lined up the audio from the video with the audio recorded through the mic.

The Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas track is a track I found on Youtube, the others are karaoke tracks from elsewhere.

This is the Vento again with the Denis Wick 4FL - I was experimenting with yet another MXL mic - an MXL990 - got two of them on super cheapie sale I believe for $49 each. If for some reason it doesn't play in the window on Google Drive you can download the mp3 by using the downward pointing arrow you should see in the upper right. You'll probably want to lower the volume about 50% or so.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZXgfLgiOWkzWHJMckFLZUU/view?usp=sharing

thank you Robert, your backing tracks are excellent adding immensely to the warm tones of your flugel. in decades past i used band in the box to practice by, and am thinking about getting back to it for ease of use and quality. have you considered using this program, or have heard of it? there are plenty of videos on it and the quality vastly improved. my purpose may be to solo over it and using the program as back up tracks.

https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C trump wrote:
thank you Robert, your backing tracks are excellent adding immensely to the warm tones of your flugel. in decades past i used band in the box to practice by, and am thinking about getting back to it for ease of use and quality. have you considered using this program, or have heard of it? there are plenty of videos on it and the quality vastly improved. my purpose may be to solo over it and using the program as back up tracks.

I've looked at BIAB in the past however at the time it sounded kind of cheesy to me since as I recall it used MIDI sounds from whatever soundcard was in the system which have always been lame.

However looking at more recent things on Youtube I see they've made big strides in improving the sound.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
C trump

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
C trump wrote:

I've looked at BIAB in the past however at the time it sounded kind of cheesy to me since as I recall it used MIDI sounds from whatever soundcard was in the system which have always been lame.

However looking at more recent things on Youtube I see they've made big strides in improving the sound.

when i first heard about band in a box it was general midi only and i liked playing with it with friends. now the program is totally new with real musicians recorded and no need for a sound module anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: