• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BBB cornet advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weasie77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: BBB cornet advice Reply with quote

Having been playing trumpet for the last couple of years after a long break, I have joined a british style brass band and have borrowed a cornet. It is a B&H Sovereign - don't know the age but it is in pretty good nick. I have tried out a few mouthpieces and have a similar rim to my trumpet - but much deeper. I am really finding the cornet lacking in 'agility' compared to what I am used to playing (Schilke B1). I have given it a good clean... any other suggestions? Is this normal and what a cornet should be or should I be openning negotiations with the boss on buying something?

TIA
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that’s not normal. Some possibilities:
- something is wrong with the cornet
- your cornet mp is not a good fit
- you need more practice, more experience (soundwise) and maybe another attitude with the cornet
Weasie77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply

delano wrote:
No, that’s not normal. Some possibilities:
- something is wrong with the cornet - any thoughts? Could it get 'soggy' with age?
- your cornet mp is not a good fit. I have tried a few including a Dennis Wicks 4B and have settled on a Yammie 14E which was the best
- you need more practice, more experience (soundwise) and maybe another attitude with the cornet
[/b]No doubts about that what so ever! Just trying to establish how much is me and how much is the gear
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting together with one or more of the other cornetists? Have them play your cornet and you play theirs - this will give you an idea of the cornets playability and your approach/setup. They may have some ideas for you too.

I play in a BBB and can tell you that many trumpet players that pick up a cornet for this group need to spend a considerable amount of time adjusting to cornet playing. For some, it's never been done before.
My suggestion with them is to practice a lot of exercises and etudes at a very soft dynamic. Keep working the tone, get it settled into the instrument, but keep it soft.
Then be sure you're listening to appropriate examples to build your concept of cornet sound.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was not clear enough but I think my third possibility is the most probably one. Age of a horn in the meaning of (valve) wear is possible but follow for that the advice of Zaferis, the short shank 14E is ok, I play one myself. Give everything more time, a BBB cornet configuration is more different from a trumpet than you may think
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend with a very nice cornet similar to yours. He complained that some notes just wouldn't speak. This hindered the playing greatly. I tried it and same thing for me. Then I popped in a Wick no letter mouthpiece and all the notes came out fine. It just needed the right mouthpiece.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how old a sovereign it is... Over time some things changed, but you'll sometimes find the B&H Sov's play better with a mouthpiece with a slightly turned down shank (indeed, if you look at older Wick pieces you'll find the shanks are smaller than current ones).

I don't know if you've played with gap much on trumpet, but with way too large a gap you may find a similar sensation WRT agility.

Another thought that occurs... The large bore versions were always strongly favoured over the medium bore versions - do you know which you have?
Weasie77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a large bore version. The mouthpiece I got is actually the 14ES which has the smaller shank than regular suited to the older cornets.

I think some side by side comparisons are in order to work out how much is me and adjustment and how much is the horn. Thanks for the replies.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BBB cornet advice Reply with quote

Weasie77 wrote:
I am really finding the cornet lacking in 'agility' compared to what I am used to playing (Schilke B1).

Maybe I'm missing something here. But a Schilke B1 (ML bore, light weight, large bell) is by nature a very flexible and responsive horn, not unlike a Bach 72*. Your Sovereign is not going to be as agile.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: BBB cornet advice Reply with quote

Hello,
If you like your B1, maybe try to find a XA1. I have had mine for 10 plus years and also play in a BBB. There are three other Schilke players, Yamaha, Bach, Conn Butler, Olds and Besson make up the rest of the section. Quite a mishmash.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Curry or Denis Wick mouthpieces Reply with quote

I would look at the following company mouthpieces websites:
http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=49
https://www.deniswick.com/product-category/mouthpieces/cornet-mouthpiece/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: