• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing on Part I SA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Breathing on Part I SA Reply with quote

My question is how do you recommend breathing during the part I exercises of Systematic Approach? i.e Regular breath, or breathe through nose while leaving the chops set?

My thinking is that I want to be careful while ascending out of the pedal range to not change my embouchure for the higher range, however it takes significantly longer to fill up with a nose breath which breaks up the exercise a bit. (I'm on lesson 14) I don't think I change my embouchure when taking a breath - but I want to make sure I don't.

Thanks for any advice.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check my book, but there's typically a note towards the top where it's recommended to not breath after. The basic idea is that you're not resetting to reach the highest note. Other than that, just breath as usual.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably best not to take a breath just before the highest note in the Part 2 exercises, though sometimes I find doing so helpful to get higher than I otherwise could. That said, I have some students who find they can reach higher notes by not taking a breath halfway up a multi-octave arpeggio in the more advanced Part 2 exercises in Systematic Approach.

I wouldn't worry about creating some sort of double embouchure by breathing as needed during the arpeggio exercises. As the book progresses and the arpeggios get longer and longer, breathing is required within the arpeggios. Claude even marked breath points in my book in both the Part 1 and Part 2 exercises. And when you take the breath, get the horn off the mouth and breathe in a full relaxed breath. Trying to breathe in through the nose takes time and the resistance can lead to unwanted tension.

When heading up in the Part Two exercises, it is best not take a breath just before the last (highest) note, but rather, take a breath before the major third note leading up to the highest note, or even after the major third note (meaning before the fifth of the chord) if needed.

One more pointer: When playing an exercise where the first note is a pedal note, test the note by playing the note an octave above it (or in the case of an exercise starting on a double pedal note, play the normal note two octaves higher, then the pedal note one octave higher and then play the exercise. This way, you know the pitch of the starting note and also make sure you are using your normal register embouchure when playing the pedal or double pedal notes.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: