• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which mouthpiece to continue on...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_c26dccb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Which mouthpiece to continue on... Reply with quote

Hi gentlepeeps!

First of all; English is not my native language, so there might be some spelling and grammatical mistakes in this post.

I am a new trumpet player (+/-2 years) and I've been playing in a local wind orchestra since January this year. We play both classical (movie, marches,..) and modern (latin, pop) music.

I started on a Austin Custom Brass TA1, but our conductor told me to switch to a Bach 1c for the classical pieces and use a smaller mouthpiece for modern music.

We had a classical program in March for which I had to use the Bach 1C, in July we played a program with only latin music, so our conductor "asked" me to use the TA1.

I guess for an experienced player (he is a professional cornet player) switching between pieces might not be an issue... But it feels like I'm really messing up my concept of sound, my embouchure and my overall playing because both mouthpieces need a VERY different approach. When I switch between pieces I need at least a 2 week period to just sound like a trumpet again.

I'm seeing a new private teacher since the end of august and he told me it is crucial to pick one of the two pieces (the one that feels and sounds best) and just go with that one... I like the idea, but I'm having trouble choosing...

Since I'm an absolute beginner (2 years) it's very hard to decide which of the two pieces is better for me.

The 1c gives me a broader sound, better low notes (bit unstable), but I need to work really hard to get a good sound and when I'm tired I can't get the 1c to work as good.

The TA1 has a more direct sound, notes below a low c are quite difficult, but the piece plays very easy.

Which of these two would you recommend to continue on? Keeping in mind that I will be a 3th/4th chair player for the next years, so I will not be screaming high notes as a soloist or lead player.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask the other trumpet players in the group if they have any 'middle of the road' mouthpieces that you could borrow for testing. Perhaps something like a Bach 3c or 5 or 7 size.

It is difficult to suggest a specific mouthpiece because it depends on how the rim and size fits YOU. But many people find the ones I mentioned to be quite usable.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
playing only for 2 years, i'd use only one mpc, with a medium cup depth.
Maybe a yam 14B4, or 16B4 if you need to stay in the Bach 1 inner diameter..

all the best
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your director is a nut!
An inexperienced player being requested to play on a large orchestral mouthpiece boggles my mind.
There are dozens of mouthpieces that would likely be better than that mouthpiece on your embouchure.
Since he seems to like Bach pieces so if they can be found in your area, you can seek out anything from a Bach 3C to a Bach 9C. (Note to other posters. A Bach 9C is much like a 7C, but with a much more comfortable rim).
Yamaha pieces from 11 to 14 sizes.
Schilke pieces from their 9 (It is basically a Bach 5B) to 13.
Those are the affordable pieces that I am familiar with.
R. Tomasek
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Your director is a nut!

I might have said it differently but . . .yes!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no sense that a cornet playing director would steer a young player to a Bach 1C.

It makes little sense that you struggle to play below the staff with the TA1. While I've not played this piece the website says it's in the Bach 5-7 range so it's not exactly a peashooter.

Stick with your new instructor and choose a single sensible piece and stick with it. If not the TA1 then something else in the Bach 5-7, or Yamaha 11-14 range.

...And stop taking brass suggestions from the conductor who, best I can tell, is a nut.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My band director was a tuba player, and tried to give me mouthpiece advice.

I just listened to my teacher. It worked out pretty well.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which mouthpiece to continue on... Reply with quote

JeffTheMindReadingDog wrote:

Since I'm an absolute beginner (2 years) it's very hard to decide which of the two pieces is better for me.

The 1c gives me a broader sound, better low notes (bit unstable), but I need to work really hard to get a good sound and when I'm tired I can't get the 1c to work as good.

The TA1 has a more direct sound, notes below a low c are quite difficult, but the piece plays very easy.

Which of these two would you recommend to continue on? Keeping in mind that I will be a 3th/4th chair player for the next years, so I will not be screaming high notes as a soloist or lead player.

The TA1 is as deep as a Bach 5B cup and deeper than most Bach C cups. It is comparable to a Bach 3 or 5 rim size with a very big, but efficient cup. It also has a larger throat and backbore than a standard Bach 1C. It is not in anyway a small mouthpiece. It is not as wide in diameter as a 1C, but is still quite a big mouthpiece. If you play and sound better on it, my advice is to stick with it. I played for years on a TA1, and had no issues playing serious orchestral or classical literature on it. Work on your low notes more in practice. Like the high register, the low register takes proper practice to master.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Dutch Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a LOT of different styles, and virtually always use the same mouthpiece. It an equivalent of the 3C. You should NOT switch mouthpieces around like that, and most certainly not in the same band. That's a really bad habit. Instead, practice and master one mouthpiece.

The 1C is about the most extreme mouthpiece that you can have. Why not pick something 'average'? Anything that is between 3C and 7C should work. It will help with the getting tired too, I guess. You can easily play all styles on that.
deleted_user_c26dccb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies! Since the TA1 seems to be somewhere between a Bach 5 and 7 AND it has quite a deep cup, I think I'm going to focus on that mp.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Which mouthpiece to continue on... Reply with quote

JeffTheMindReadingDog wrote:
Hi gentlepeeps!

First of all; English is not my native language, so there might be some spelling and grammatical mistakes in this post.

I am a new trumpet player (+/-2 years) and I've been playing in a local wind orchestra since January this year. We play both classical (movie, marches,..) and modern (latin, pop) music.

I started on a Austin Custom Brass TA1, but our conductor told me to switch to a Bach 1c for the classical pieces and use a smaller mouthpiece for modern music.

We had a classical program in March for which I had to use the Bach 1C, in July we played a program with only latin music, so our conductor "asked" me to use the TA1.

You’ve been playing for a couple of years, I would go with something mid range, talk to your trumpet teacher about it and if the conductor tells you something different, smile, agree, and then keep using what you and your teacher decide on. No way should a two year player be swapping around between mouthpieces.

Brad
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Which mouthpiece to continue on... Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

You’ve been playing for a couple of years, I would go with something mid range, talk to your trumpet teacher about it and if the conductor tells you something different, smile, agree, and then keep using what you and your teacher decide on. No way should a two year player be swapping around between mouthpieces.

Brad

^^^ THIS...100%
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: