• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warmahorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Warmahorn Reply with quote

I came across an article about this in a BBC blog and found the item still available but not heavily advertised. A neoprene bell sleeve to keeper your horn warm (and dent free!) for outside gigs looks like a cool idea provided the sound doesn't suffer too much. It's also a nice way to advertise your band I'd think if you could get them customised. Here's links to the article and Amazon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/southeastwales/hi/people_and_places/music/newsid_9228000/9228336.stm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warmahorn-Neoprene-Trumpet-Protective-Cover/dp/B005NWFII4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it has it's own heating source, that's not going to do anything for keeping your horn warm on cold night, but a sucker is born every minute.

More useful I think would be something that would keep the valve block warmer. I've had gigs before where is was actually cold enough for ice to form just by opening the spit valves and freeze the pistons mid song!

Yeah, I did that!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s been discussed here, many people think it’s a relatively useless gimmick that probably would appeal to some high school kids. I can’t imagine wrapping neoprene around the bell of a brass instrument would do anything other than possibly affect resonance.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thread Brad is referring to.

The thread gets a little brutal in its criticism of the product and includes a few posts from a former spacefaring member.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brad, this it will likely appeal to a certain type of person.

I suppose it might help protect a horn from minor scratches. But I wonder if might not deaden your sound, too.

Do they come in different colors? If you were in a college pep band, it might be nice to have the trumpet section use a sleeve with their school colors.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
I agree with Brad, this it will likely appeal to a certain type of person.

I suppose it might help protect a horn from minor scratches. But I wonder if might not deaden your sound, too.

Do they come in different colors? If you were in a college pep band, it might be nice to have the trumpet section use a sleeve with their school colors.

Mike

It is interesting to read the inventor’s comments in the other thread. The product started out as a lark and due to demand became a product.

Warmahorn wrote:
Q: Does it really keep the instruments warmer?
A:....long answer.....grab coffee!
It started out as a way of warming up a chilly tumpet that was doing outdoor gigs in Cardiff. The first one was made from fur fabric - just fun. But trumpet plays started wanting them to add a crazy 'costume' element to their performances. All just good fun - but the switch to neoprene changed everything - trumpet players realised that it was fabulous for protection against scratches & dents.
Then Jazzwise magazine tested the products and wrote that the insulating properties of the neoprene actually improved the sound quality of cheap trumpets!
Then parents started buying them because they made battered old trumpets look like new!
Then music teachers encouraged pupils to buy them - so they can colour code large groups of kids.
Then Rosetti saw the potential of a totally new product for brass and signed us up, 4 months after setting up as a small business!....
Then gigging musicians commissioned their own ones to add colour to stage performances.....adding LED lights & diamante sparkles to hit the lights.
So...by now the original starting point is bottom of the reasons for players buying and using them.
Yes, it does keep the instrument a little warmer - just as if you put a coat around your shoulders on a cold day, it has to make a difference. But the warming angle is not the strength anymore....and the products just keep being developed as brass musicians are turning on to the idea of a new accessory.
We now do trombone Warmahorns, mouthpiece pouches, Rim Guards for euphoniums & tubas to stop the rim getting bashed when plonked on the ground!
There's a whole 'Warmahorn World' of potential out there as more and more problems are being solved with our products. French Horn players have requested their own valve guard (we're on to it), Sax & flute players want their own 'Sox' we're onto it....Marching bands are commissioning their own Warmahorns in their own colours with their own logo branding...we're onto it!!!
Warming was the start...but it's main strength is all of the above.

You probably need another coffee now!!!!!
Happy New Year+
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: First Time I Saw A Warmahorn Reply with quote

The first time I saw a warmahorn used, my first thought was that it was for changing the tone of the instrument, like a mute. I didn't think it was for keeping the instrument warm, because the place one would want to insulate would be the valve casing.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First Time I Saw A Warmahorn Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
The first time I saw a warmahorn used, my first thought was that it was for changing the tone of the instrument, like a mute. I didn't think it was for keeping the instrument warm, because the place one would want to insulate would be the valve casing.

Actually the reason this wouldn't work well for keeping a horn warm is that the cold air is on the inside of the horn also. In my opinion it would work marginally better on the valve block.
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day I simply took an el-cheapo D-cell powered electric sock, turned it inside out, and wore it on my left hand. Kept things from freezing up, and the battery lasted through a halftime show.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: