• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

eBay charging sales tax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wehip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: eBay charging sales tax Reply with quote

So eBay now charges sales tax even if you're buying out of state. This can jack up the price of an expensive horn by hundreds and you wouldn't know it until you've already made the purchase. I learned this the hard way, but luckily the seller was very kind and offered to pay the tax for me. This combined with all the seller fees ... I'm think I'm going to stick with TH marketplace whenever possible.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally you are supposed to pay the tax if the merchant doesn’t collect it. This has always been the case but as technology has created new ways to purchase items it became challenging for the states to identify the sales and collect the taxes. In addition the existing laws left taxing this type of interstate commerce in a legal gray area.

New laws are closing this “loophole” that put brick and mortar stores at a huge disadvantage.

eBay is just complying with the evolution of collecting taxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: