• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Early Yamaha YCR-231 CR-231 need specific pictures / detail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
berntd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Early Yamaha YCR-231 CR-231 need specific pictures / detail Reply with quote

Hello

I am restoring a really early YCR-231 cornet. It is basically a CR-231 from the late 1960s, also known as Nikkan.
It has some extensive bending damage that I am having trouble to figure out exactly without knowing what it is supposed to look like.

Would someone perhaps have such an early cornet they could please take some specific pictures of for me?

I have not found any suitable pictures on the www so far.

It is identical to what is in this link below. Note the round bend/loop where the lead pip pipe enters valve 3. The later version of the YCR-231 do not have that.

Best regards
Bernt

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-804894073-corneta-trompeta-yamaha-_JM#position=1&type=item&tracking_id=2faa6b6e-dff7-442e-a98e-975d867b7234
berntd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth,
I really just need to know if the front brace
(between leadpipe and 3rd slide pipe at water key)
is supposed to be angled downward a bit or go perpendicular across.

If it is supposed to go perpendicular across, then I have a bigger problem.

Pity we can't post pictures

Regards
Bernt
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely we can post pictures. If you quote this post, you will see how to insert a link to a picture.

Here is a Nikkan CR-231:

Link to the completed Yahoo auction.

The S brace next to the receiver is bent at about 120 degrees. The brace between 2nd valve and the bell is not an S-brace, but more of a Phi-shape:
berntd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Surely we can post pictures. If you quote this post, you will see how to insert a link to a picture.

Here is a Nikkan CR-231:

Link to the completed Yahoo auction.

The S brace next to the receiver is bent at about 120 degrees. The brace between 2nd valve and the bell is not an S-brace, but more of a Phi-shape:

Thank you for the help.
I am not sure that I was clear enough in what I am looking for
I am looking for details on the brace behind the water key in that picture.
It is not visible in that picture and I cannot find a single picture anywhere that shows how that brace runs exactly. (angles)

It is between the leadpipe and 3rd slide pipe behind the water key.

Only a picture from the front of such an instrument, showing the, leadpipe, 3rd slide and valves from the bell side will reveal how that brace runs.

I really wish we could 'post' pictures here (not just insert links to somewhere). It would make this a lot easier.

Regards
Bernt
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same auction (photo below) I see two braces in the area that you have described:
1) from the wide curve of the leadpipe to 3rd valve slide;
2) from the straight nickel plated section of the leadpipe to the lower part of 2nd valve casing.
Both look like 90 degree (perpendicular to tubing).

berntd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
In the same auction (photo below) I see two braces in the area that you have described:
1) from the wide curve of the leadpipe to 3rd valve slide;
2) from the straight nickel plated section of the leadpipe to the lower part of 2nd valve casing.
Both look like 90 degree (perpendicular to tubing).

Yea, that front one visible there. Not the valve 2 one. That is straight.

I need to see that dead on to see if it REALLY is 90 degrees or not exactly. On

On my project, the water key pivot sits lower than the 3rd slide by about 3/8" 9mm. That will mean the brace cannot be straight across and meet next to the water key.
If that is not supposed to be that, I need to do some serious panelbeating to correct it. Or not?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the brace to the 2nd valve casing is NOT parallel to the brace to the 3rd valve slide.

From the photo, it looks that the brace near the spit valve sits 90 degrees vs the slide but not 90 degrees vs the leadpipe as the leadpipe curves away. Something similar, but not as drastic, happens also with later models of YCR2330II.
berntd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Note that the brace to the 2nd valve casing is NOT parallel to the brace to the 3rd valve slide.

From the photo, it looks that the brace near the spit valve sits 90 degrees vs the slide but not 90 degrees vs the leadpipe as the leadpipe curves away. Something similar, but not as drastic, happens also with later models of YCR2330II.

That is possible. On theslightly later YCR-231, that brace is angled upwads from the 3rd slide by about 5 degrees. It is perpendicular to the leadpipe there. But that is different to what I gave.

Does nobody here on our vast forum have an early one as shown that I can get more exact details of?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: