• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unbreakable chops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Unbreakable chops Reply with quote

A Facebook friend was talking about being on the Buddy Rich band and Buddy would try to break the lead players chops. Meaning running him out of endurance. He was saying that some guys have unbreakable chops. I cannot even conceive of such a thing.

Do any of you guys have unbreakable chops?
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who doesn't???
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mac Gollehon has unbreakable chops. I didn’t know him when he played lead for Buddy, but I’ve heard him many times since. And I’ve played on a few of his gigs. I’ve seen him play the entire lead book all night long while playing extended, screaming solos on most of the tunes. I’ve never seen or heard him tire, never. I asked him if he ever tires. He said no. I believe him. (I’d like to hate him for it, but I can’t. lol)

I haven’t hung with Walter White nearly as much. But I’ve had the pleasure enough times to suspect he’s probably unbreakable too. Both Mac and Walter are amazing.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
I think Mac Gollehon has unbreakable chops. I didn’t know him when he played lead for Buddy, but I’ve heard him many times since. And I’ve played on a few of his gigs. I’ve seen him play the entire lead book all night long while playing extended, screaming solos on most of the tunes. I’ve never seen or heard him tire, never. I asked him if he ever tires. He said no. I believe him. (I’d like to hate him for it, but I can’t. lol)

I haven’t hung with Walter White nearly as much. But I’ve had the pleasure enough times to suspect he’s probably unbreakable too. Both Mac and Walter are amazing.

Mac has used Jerry Callet's methods if my memory is correct. I know he is on the last instructional dvd Jerry did. Great player. I once spoke with Mac on the phone about doing a clinic/master class for the music dept. in my town. Jerry was the person who told me about Mac and gave me his number. We were never able to bring Mac in but it would have been a lot of fun if we had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: