• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pitch Center and Intonation, are they in the same place

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Pitch Center and Intonation, are they in the same place Reply with quote

I have discussed in the past that sometimes i get sharp in pitch when i play and practice alone for long periods of time. I have discovered the solution to this simply is that my ears become adjusted to a sharper pitch when i am not playing with other players or i'm not playing along with music minus one type stuff or a reference pitch and that for whatever reason the sharper pitch sounds "correct" to my ears. there is a lot of talk from the various schools, namely Stamp, that you should go from pitch center to pitch center in each note. By pitch center i am assuming that they mean the most resonant part of the note. But does that mean that the note is perfectly in tune as well because the trumpet is note really in tune through the scale and to me anyway the most resonant part of the note isn't always perfectly in tune.

just some random observations, any thoughts ?

thanks
tom
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pitch Center and Intonation, are they in the same place Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
I have discussed in the past that sometimes i get sharp in pitch when i play and practice alone for long periods of time. I have discovered the solution to this simply is that my ears become adjusted to a sharper pitch when i am not playing with other players or i'm not playing along with music minus one type stuff or a reference pitch and that for whatever reason the sharper pitch sounds "correct" to my ears. there is a lot of talk from the various schools, namely Stamp, that you should go from pitch center to pitch center in each note. By pitch center i am assuming that they mean the most resonant part of the note. But does that mean that the note is perfectly in tune as well because the trumpet is note really in tune through the scale and to me anyway the most resonant part of the note isn't always perfectly in tune.

just some random observations, any thoughts ?

thanks
tom

Hi Tom,
I like exercises. Sometimes the part I like about them is making them up. Inventing them

"Gee I'm a little weak in this area. That idea seems helpful".You seem to be recognizing this. That's cool.

And so I invent my own exercises. While some trumpets like to take things up an octave? How about down a minor third. Until I play it more accurately.

In your case of the tuning matter? Well I like your attitude. Because most amateur headed players are always thinking of playing that "higher, faster, LOUDER".stuff etc. Then act like it's "music". But instead you're examining an area that is probably the most beneficial at making a truly profession tone. If you doubt me, then just consider the opposite kind of fellow, unhuh?.

He's the trumpet player going nearly a quarter tone sharp all night. Worse still than him? There's the one who's all over the map. And all night long. Ask me about a guy I know who does this. I won't name names and he doesn't post on TH. But this big happy dummy can't play more than 3 notes out of 10 in tune. And of those seven hideous out of tune tones they go both flat and sharp. I mean that's really screwed up isn't it?. Worse still? He's unfixable. Got his job through family connections. That's right! He's technically a music educator. With credentials.

OMG! So I'm not worried about you Tom. Although let me offer you a suggestion. Whenever I'm concerned about some aspect of my playing or sound? In this case staying in tune and I get the chance to practice through the issue for three hours, Or?

Spend three hours in a rehearsal band and concentrate on improving my technical flaw?

I almost always will choose the rehearsal band. And this is because nothing so much as helps tighten my senses up better than facing my peers and the music director. In this situation I feel far more keyed up. Who cares if I sound crappy at home? Doesn't count there. But once I get out in the world my ego is a little threatened. My reputation as a good player is also on the line. So I improve at a near phenomenal clip. Wish that I had more time to describe the "lightbulbs that went off in rehearsal" last night. But my posts tend to run too long anyway.

So try taking this tuning matter into the bandroom with your peers. Practice blending. It also helps if the ensemble has some players with a good sense of pitch. If not? Lol. Then the rehearsal is probably something you do not want to use to help this matter.

I wish that every trumpet player taking Mus Ed in college could have the opportunity to spend 3 or 4 years out in the road. Like I once did. Because nothing and I mean nothing will whip a cat into shape faster than a steady 4 hr/night, 5 day/week gig say 40 to 50 weeks/year. OMG! By the sixth month you'll be feeling a control and strength in your chops the likes of which it's really hard to duplicate when you're just going to school and blowing down your ensemble music and trumpet lessons.

Summation?
1. I like your plan.
2. "Your ego is your friend"!
3. Take this matter into the rehearsal hall. Or better yet a steady gig.

I really mean that about the ego. Also, you know those "butterflies in the stomach" we sometimes get prior to a performsnce? Those are just more evidence of your ego trying to boost your performance. It's that F-E-A-R that will make you successful. Good work Tom!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve suffered one notable period where I just heard the pitch very high. No matter how far I pulled my tuning slide I still managed to play REALLY sharp...because that's where I thought the note needed to be. Took a good deal of work to break that habit. I did that work with a teacher who studied with Stamp.

In the Stamp approach, you try and find the center of where each note is most clear, then how to quickly transition from the center of one note to the center of the next with every note ringing like a bell. If you're then not aligned with the tuner just adjust your tuning slide(s). Once you can do that it's a relatively easy step to make the micro-adjustments needed for ensemble playing.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic tuners are calibrated to the pitches for 'piano tuning', and 'piano tuning' is designed to (and does) provide a satisfactory sound for an instrument that cannot be adjusted by the player.
Those pitches are a compromise that works 'well enough' for a piano to sound acceptable regardless of the key signature of the music.

To me a glaring example of the compromise is how harsh sounding a Major 3rd (played together) sounds on the piano - with true harmonic tuning a 3rd should sound very nice, but not on a piano.

I'd rate 'playing in tune' with the ensemble above getting better 'sound' for an out-of-tune note!

Part of regular practice should be playing various major key scales and striving to have the various pitch intervals all be consistent with when sung well. And in addition striving for the best sound.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting the centre of notes, creating a resonant sound andnplaying with ease is one thing. Playing in tune - with good intonatiOn - is something totally different.

The first is about of sound on the horn itself and is internal.

Playing in tune is external. It is different for a band/orchestra and a piano. It is very different again if applying with an organ that has a different tuning temperament. In a recent recital, my old buddy who lives way away commented that he had not played with someone who tempers their pitch to play in tune thirds and 5th...

I think of it as listening... while making a rich resonant sound.

Cheers

Andy
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly played with amateur musicians with a wide variety of skill levels. In school, I was also a vocal major and had the opportunity to sing in some highly advanced ensembles who performed in all sorts of venues and music styles, one of which was à cappella. So, I know the challenges you write about.

Answering your question: No, pitch center is one thing, intonation is another.

Finding the center of each pitch on your instrument is important, because it leads you to a proper embouchure, i.e. not too tense or relaxed. This is done by learning and providing a good column of air behind all your notes, then bending each pitch (one at a time) to feel and hear where the horn wants to "center." It will produce a resonant, rich sound and feel like it should play that pitch. String those well-centered pitches together into ascending/descending scale and you establish the horn's natural intonation scale.

Each trumpet design has its own version, but Bb trumpet has an overall characteristic scale that exists because of the physics involved.

Intonation is different. Intonation takes into account the overtone series that defines natural intervals between notes, chords, etc. It also has to take into account various types of instruments that have different acoustics and different natural scales. Different keyed instruments have different overtone series and scales.

An ensemble is a collection of usually different instruments all with individual intonation characteristics. How do we establish what is "correct" intonation? That is why in orchestral music there is a Concert Master. That player is responsible for the intonation of the entire orchestra. At least, that's the theory.
So, each musician is supposed to play in tune with the Concert Master. Good luck with that! At least at the amateur level.

To help with my own sense of intonation, I sought out acoustic drones and would hum along with them in unison, at perfect intervals and other more dissonant intervals to develop a sense of what each one feels like. I often used machines (with proper ear protection!) as those drones and would start with unison or octave humming. I would bend the pitch up and down, listening for those funky beats of dissonance that developed and dissipated when I moved the pitch. I paid attention to the feel of a perfectly in tune note, not just how it felt to produce that pitch, but how it felt against the drone pitch.

When you have some level of mastery over pitch center and combine that with a developed sense of intonation, you begin to understand why some trumpets leave plenty of room to move pitches around while maintaining a resonant sound, while others are designed to have a stronger, less forgiving pitch center. You will be more able to make a good decision about the type of horn you prefer, based on its design characteristics and how they assist you as a musician.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I too had a long period where i was playing sharp and moving the slide made almost no difference. In the end it is an ear thing and chasing the tuner needle made no difference. I started playing music minus one type stuff and used drones and my ears re adjusted to better intonation. I think my equipment plays a roll in the sharpness issue though, as i play very small id's, 00 curry's, so i need to stay really relaxed in my chops, and my horn, a conn vintage one seems to vibrate a little more towards the top end of the note.
Years ago in college my bach 37 seem to vibrate more in the bottom part of the note, but i was also using a bach 1 1/2 C then.
It's not a problem anymore, especially when i'm gigging alot and listening to and blending with the other players in the band. Brian, i liked your explanation about finding where your horn wants to center. It makes a lot of sense.

thanks again all,

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: