• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pickett 10-2 vs. 2 bb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Pickett 10-2 vs. 2 bb Reply with quote

Anyone have experience comparing these two backbores?
I've been using the 10-2 for quite a while and have considered trying the 2 after hearing back from Pickett. Generally speaking, I find that the tone thins out some above C. Eric has suggested trying the 2.

Thanks
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pickett 10-2 vs. 2 bb Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:
Anyone have experience comparing these two backbores?
I've been using the 10-2 for quite a while and have considered trying the 2 after hearing back from Pickett. Generally speaking, I find that the tone thins out some above C. Eric has suggested trying the 2.
Thanks

The 2 is a bit darker than the 10-2 in my experience. If the equipment is the culprit and you need a slightly darker and more diffuse sounding backbore, then the switch to a Pickett 2 backbore should help. If it is a fundamental issue with your playing, then obviously the switch to a different backbore will only marginally mask the issue at hand.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns

Last edited by J-Walk on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the biggest difference is that the 2 is more diffuse. The 10-2 seems a bit more focused. It seems similar in concept to the Warburton regular and * models (ie, 8 and 8*) If that’s what you’re going for, give it a try.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-2 is actually a larger backbore than the #2. The 10 series means it flares up in a curve a bit sooner than the standard which are more a more linear opening backbore.

I own the #1, #2, and 10-1 thru 10-5 all in 24 throat. I usually stay on the 10 series for me. The way I can best describe my experience is that the 10 series has more depth / 3 dimensional of a sound were as the standard is more stark and 2 dimensional. They both can be symphonic or commercial in sound as you go bigger or tighter but feel the 10 series has more color and flexible of timbre than the standard.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a used #2 that should arrive tomorrow. I'll try it out for a while and let you know what I think.
I usually hate jumping around from piece to piece but am finding myself curious about certain alternatives.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 2 days now with the #2.
Quite different from the 10-2.
Slightly more open blow.
Takes more air without breaking up on me.
Less edge/ring to the sound, but can get there with a bit more work.
Upper register works a little bit better for me as it doesn't seem to back up...but again, harder to get a more commercial sound.

Ironically, when I pop back to the 10-2, something I've played on for years and year, my accuracy decreases. It might be the difference in openness?

I think it's a keeper, for church work and other legit situations. I have a #3 coming soon too. With the difference between the 2 and 10-2, I'm very curious to try the 3.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two 10/2 - 25 backbores that I use with a Pickett 3D top. They are different from one another; one has a very clear tone and the other is quite raucous- good for a loud job. So far I like them as well or better than the smaller 10-3 and 10-4.

Next try will be a 10-1. Peter Pickett told me that the 10 series is the same tool at various depths of insertion; -5 being smallest and -1 being the largest. Great series, I'm totally sold on them.

-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
I've got two 10/2 - 25 backbores that I use with a Pickett 3D top. They are different from one another; one has a very clear tone and the other is quite raucous- good for a loud job. So far I like them as well or better than the smaller 10-3 and 10-4.

Next try will be a 10-1. Peter Pickett told me that the 10 series is the same tool at various depths of insertion; -5 being smallest and -1 being the largest. Great series, I'm totally sold on them.

-Lionel

Interesting. You're saying the two 10-2's are different from each other? That's surprising
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: