• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flautist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: mouthpieces Reply with quote

I know mouthpieces are very individual to the player. But, I also know that at least some guidance as to where to start looking and trying different mouthpieces can be given. So, that's what I'm looking for.

Right now, I have a pretty standard 7c (Besson's version), and a Schilke 5a4. Both pretty small diameters, both pretty wide rims, not sure about the throats because I know nothing about that yet.

Before you tell me that most adults go with bigger diameters, know that I am a very small person... I am about the size of the average 5th or 6th grade kid. I know this because I work with kids, and most of my 5th graders are about my size. I am willing to try a bit bigger if that really will get me a better sound, but I don't want to go much bigger if I don't need to.

I tend to play on the 7c when I start practicing, and switch to the Schilke when I am getting a bit tired or when I am playing a piece that stretches my top range (which right now is about the G on top of the staff, though I can hit the A above that when freshly warmed up).

When I first started playing again a few months ago, the 7c felt big, which is why I went with the Schilke. But now that I know more about playing and am working on lip slurs, etc., I find that the low range suffers with the Schilke, as well as my flexibility and accuracy. However, the 7c still just doesn't feel quite right.

As far as trying some out before I buy them, the closest shop is about an hour away from here, and they have a few Bach mouthpieces, but carry many different Schilkes.

I'm also playing on a Besson London 1000, if that makes a difference in what mouthpieces would be suggested.

All of that being said, does anyone have any suggestions about where to start in searching for a mouthpiece I will be happy with?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Mouthpieces Reply with quote

The 5A4 Schilke is very shallow and typically used for extreme high register word, big band lead or piccolo trumpet. Since you like the sound of the 7C but, it seems the comfort of the 5A4, I would suggest a Schilke 9 or 9C4 giving you Schilke comfort, a smaller ID and a deeper 'C' cup. The Bach 10 1/2C would also be a good choice. If Curry pieces are available try a Curry 10.5C or 8.5C.

Ed K, former Schilke technician.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hi!

flautist wrote:
Right now, I have a pretty standard 7c (Besson's version), and a Schilke 5a4. Both pretty small diameters, both pretty wide rims, not sure about the throats because I know nothing about that yet.

I don't know for the Schilke 5a4, but the 7C is a medium sized mouthpiece: not very big but not small either, not very deep but not shallow either.

flautist wrote:

Before you tell me that most adults go with bigger diameters (...)

Although it's a pretty comon recomendation, a bigger diameter isn't necessarily required. As far as I know Louis Armstrong played all his life on a 7C, Maynard Ferguson played on very small pieces, and there are certainly much more examples of great players playing on small or medium mouthpieces!
But if you feel like you're limited by the mpc because for you the one you're playing is too small, too large, too deep or too shallow, of course a change may be necessary!

The real question is to know what is the mouthpiece that works the best for you, and if it's a small one there's no problem.

But you're only beginning, and at the beginning a 7C is usually a very good choice.

flautist wrote:

I tend to play on the 7c when I start practicing, and switch to the Schilke when I am getting a bit tired (...)

I think that you should just stick with your 7C, and learn how to make it sing the best way in all registers. Then, you'll have a much better idea of what is good for you and what isn't, and whether you really want to change or not.

flautist wrote:
All of that being said, does anyone have any suggestions about where to start in searching for a mouthpiece I will be happy with?

Maybe in you?
A mpc doesn't play itself! Every mouthpiece has some characteristics that the player has to patiently discover, understand, adapt to, in order to make it sound the best way possible.

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too recommend staying away form the Schilke 5A4 since it a relatively extreme piece.

If you're uncertain of the best diameter I might recommend trying some Yamaha pieces. The rims are relatively comfortable and consistent from size to size (unlike Bach). You might try ordering a few in the 9-12 range. For reference the Yamaha 11C4 is their 7C equivalent. If you look you may find a mail-order shop that will allow you to order several and return the ones that don't work for you. Alternately these are pretty common pieces and you can almost always find them used and cheap.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Landrewp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above advice is good. As you are a relatively new player just stick with the 7c for now. Your stamina and range will improve with practice not by changing mouthpieces. I would also advise against changing mouthpieces mid-practice. If you feel tired just take a short break (30 minutes) and start again. You will improve much more quickly by doing this than by playing while tired.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke 9C4 that I'm not using that I will send you. Send me your address in a personal message.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who plays a mouthpiece so small it makes your Schilke look like a tuba mouthpiece...

Stick with the 7c for a while. You may want to pick up a bigger piece, like a 3c or 1.5C too. You might like them, and if nothing else, you can use them to build your chops up - like strength training.

Also, if you are going back and for between mouthpieces, make sure you are changing the tuning slide on your horn... you could be compensating/lipping on one of the mouthpieces and not even know it.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
flautist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces Reply with quote

Landrewp wrote:
I would also advise against changing mouthpieces mid-practice. If you feel tired just take a short break (30 minutes) and start again. You will improve much more quickly by doing this than by playing while tired.

lol, I know... bad habits from being a flute player for so long. I am used to being able to practice for literally hours (though I usually stop after an hour to an hour an a half due to the fact that my brain starts to melt). So, I get on my trumpet and I'm enjoying the practice and just don't want to stop!

methinks my impulse control could use just as much work (okay, probably more) as my trumpet playing.

VetPsychWars, pm sent. That is a very nice offer! Thanks! Hope to meet you at the hang in Feb.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpieces Reply with quote

flautist wrote:
Landrewp wrote:
I would also advise against changing mouthpieces mid-practice. If you feel tired just take a short break (30 minutes) and start again. You will improve much more quickly by doing this than by playing while tired.

lol, I know... bad habits from being a flute player for so long. I am used to being able to practice for literally hours (though I usually stop after an hour to an hour an a half due to the fact that my brain starts to melt). So, I get on my trumpet and I'm enjoying the practice and just don't want to stop!

methinks my impulse control could use just as much work (okay, probably more) as my trumpet playing.

VetPsychWars, pm sent. That is a very nice offer! Thanks! Hope to meet you at the hang in Feb.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a Bach 17C or 20C but a 10½C might be fine. Another a little shallower is the Bach 10¾CW

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the schilke mouthpieces don't get a lot of press here but they are great playing mouthpieces and reasonable in cost. one advantage they have is a #26 throat rather than the smaller #27 industry standard.
you should have a schilke 9, and 11, on the shelf. you can go back and forth and figure out what size fits you. i believe the 11 is about the same as a 7c.
in whatever line of mouthpieces you end up with it's a good idea to have the one you are playing, and one size smaller, and one size larger. every now and again the idea will come that 'hey maybe', and then you can up or down size for a bit, and usually go right back to what you were playing. still it is necessary to have all the hardware laid out ready for battle. it's part of being a trumpet player.
..chuck
dalcorn4808

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Besson 1000 Reply with quote

Flautist...I obtained a Besson 1000 London trumpet, serial number 20445 and am trying to find the date of manufacture and specifics of the horn.
Wondering if you could share any information about your horn for comparison to mine.

thanks
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Besson 1000 Reply with quote

dalcorn4808 wrote:
Flautist...I obtained a Besson 1000 London trumpet, serial number 20445 and am trying to find the date of manufacture and specifics of the horn.
Wondering if you could share any information about your horn for comparison to mine.

thanks

Flautist hasn’t posted since 2012. You might want to use the forum’s private message to see if he will respond.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. Looks like someone is getting ready to sell something. 3 more posts to go...
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think so.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to confuse you, but the Bach 7C is not a particularly comfortable mouthpiece while a Schilke Model 11 is. It's basically the same size but more comfortable. It's based on the Bach 7C that Bud Herseth used to play, before his accident.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!!!
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it, the Schilke model 9 is basically a Bach 5B. It was the Llewellyn model. Schilke gave Llewellyn's widow a portion of the sales of them
The 9C4, is a NY Bach 10 1/2C.
R. Tomasek
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Horodoros from Megare will run and help our 5 posts hunter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: