• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jam Sessions in New York City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Jam Sessions in New York City Reply with quote

I'll be in New York City in two weeks time (21/22 Sept) and I wonder if there are any venues which host amateur jazz jam sessions you could recommend?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smalls Jazz Club, 183 West 10th Street, has an afternoon jam session scheduled from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The times are misleading, however, because the house band plays until about 5:15 p.m. and they try to wind things down at about 6:45 p.m. so the jam session is more like 1 1/2 hours than the 3 hours advertised. It is a good jam session however. You can play on every tune if you want to.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in NYC a few weeks ago there was a great one several nights a week at Cleopatra's Needle I believe on the Upper West Side. There was no cover and the food was great and it wasn't really crowded the nights I went.

The players that sat in were mostly great, but a couple who weren't as good seemed to be treated with courtesy and encouragement.

http://www.cleopatrasneedleny.com
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekends are tougher for jam sessions...most of the 'variety' of sessions happens on weeknights, when a lot of cats are off of gigs.

Smalls's early session is a good bet, they also have a nightly "after hours" session that begins at 1AM. Though, as someone else commented, the won't start bringing people up until 2-2:30AM (and that's if they started on time).

Fat Cat is close to Smalls, and has a similar after-hours session. I might recommend that one for the 21st because it's being led by trumpeter Greg Glassman, who I wholly recommend anyone should go see. Incredible musician and a very gracious session leader. Also it's cheap to get in - only $3 if memory serves.

That whole area is a haven for visiting musicians because you have Smalls, Mezzrow, Fat Cat, and 55 Bar all within a few blocks of each other. Plus, a ticket at Smalls works at Mezzrow and vice versa, so you get two clubs for the price of one.

Also, I should issue a caveat, I'm not sure what you mean by "amateur", but the players at these sessions can be somewhat serious, particularly the late night session. If you're not comfortable playing tunes from memory, transposing keys on the band stand, or already have a headful of standards, etc...you might have a bad experience with some folks vibing you. Not trying to scare you, and no judgement here, just the facts! Smalls's early session can be better for less experienced players, because you have a lot of younger students coming in, that can't come to the late session.

johnlakejazz.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
When I was in NYC a few weeks ago there was a great one several nights a week at Cleopatra's Needle I believe on the Upper West Side. There was no cover and the food was great and it wasn't really crowded the nights I went.

The players that sat in were mostly great, but a couple who weren't as good seemed to be treated with courtesy and encouragement.

http://www.cleopatrasneedleny.com

Back in the day, Cleopatra's Needle was definitely the most "forgiving" one I have been to in NYC. I haven't been in probably 6 years, but when I used to go it was a great time and they weren't rude to the newer players.

A number of my friends go to Fat Cats after our gigs let out on weeknights but that's too late in the evening for me... How square it is to have an early morning day job! Oy. When did I get old.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread. We are visiting NYC in a few months. Taking notes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: