• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who is your favorite orchestral trumpet player and why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syzygy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Who is your favorite orchestral trumpet player and why? Reply with quote

I've been looking for some more to check out, and was curious. Mine is Chris Martin!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmer Churampi is mine. The SOUND is unreal complemented by virtuosic tenchnique. Check out his facebook
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is your favorite orchestral trumpet player and why? Reply with quote

Syzygy wrote:
I've been looking for some more to check out, and was curious. Mine is Chris Martin!

You didn’t say why. I actually haven’t heard enough of his orchestral playing, but when I’ve heard recordings of him playing With Malice Toward None, that’s definitely a sound I want in my head.

Too hard to choose one player really. But I’m going to name someone who may not be so obvious. In the 90’s, I heard the LA Phil play Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra on tour. They sounded fantastic, but the player who really stood out to me was Rob Roy McGregor on 2nd trumpet. I haven’t kept up with recordings of that piece, but at the time I thought it was hands down the best 2nd trumpet playing I had ever heard on it. Big resonant sound. Really spectacular.

Many section players are the unsung heroes of the instrument. You don’t always know until they’re briefly in the spotlight.
Charlie Jones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to all of the amazing principal trumpets players in America, I would highly suggest you check out Timur Martynov from the Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra!
AtomicBasie93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is Gabor Tarkovi in Berlin. He might be the best I have heard... certainly since Herseth retired.He has the finesse, power, and his sound is unparalleled. It's a shame he retired to go teach. In the states, I love Manny Laureano in Minnesota.
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud.
Handguard once believed to be used by Arban
$10,000 Stoneline mute bought on eBay
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: James Thompson Reply with quote

James Thompson, when he was with Montréal, then later with Atlanta. I think he's teaching in Eastman now.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Who is your favorite orchestra trumpet player and why? Reply with quote

I have many gods of the trumpet that I love. Vachiano back in the day. I have a two CD set of Roger Voisin. Phil Smith of the the NY Philharmonic for sure. Adolf Herseth, and remember his college degree wasn't music it was mathematics. He was so good it all sounded simple. My favorite for sound has been Tim Morrison with the Boston Pops. Composer John Williams has said that many of his movie themes were written with Tim's sound in mind.
Chris Martin is wonderful.
At 69 I still keep listening to hear another horn that I can consider unmistakable.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: James Thompson Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
James Thompson, when he was with Montréal, then later with Atlanta. I think he's teaching in Eastman now.

+1 His Mahler 5 is amazing as is the whole performance of the Montreal Orchestra.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sommerhalder on principal though. Amazing musician.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say Herseth. Clean, pure, consistent. With him, it's always about the music.

Seems like there wasn't anything he couldn't play.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: James Thompson Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
Didymus wrote:

+1 His Mahler 5 is amazing as is the whole performance of the Montreal Orchestra.

Wait.... Montréal recorded the Mahler 5?! I know they recorded the Tchaikovsky 5 and the Shostakovich 5, but I'm unsure if James Thompson was still with them when they recorded the latter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: