• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to properly ascend without pursing top lip?(not screams)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadoonster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: How to properly ascend without pursing top lip?(not screams) Reply with quote

Hello TH!

To keep things short - I'm going out for Drum Corps this year as a sophomore in college, and a super busy schedule with the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. I don't necessarily have time to lessons, so I'm looking here for some advice. My biggest issue I haven't been able to resolve is the excess use of pressure, or so I thought. Anywhere from a D in the staff and up, my lips begin to get "The" ring of pressure. I've recently discovered I'm not pulling the trumpet in my face and constricting the airflow in that manner, so much as I am pursing my top lip further down and thus constricting my buzz in order to ascend. Does anyone have advice on how to use the tongue, and airflow, to ascend in range - not even screaming range, at that. What does a "proper" embouchure, tongue usage, and airstream feel like to the best of your descriptors? Do you have any exercises you'd recommend to practice relaxed, proper ascending into the D and up range? I appreciate any and all advice, this forum rocks!!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
since you can't have lessons (if someday you can, have one with bobby Shew, Roger Ingram, frank Greene etc..), and that is the best thing to do of course, i suggest you to watch at the videos on youtube by Charlie Porter
best
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip slur exercises done properly! Scales, Clarke Studies. Flow Studies, Stamp and others (played softly) that start in the middle and extend, without break, up and down throughout your range.

BTW the lips don't get pressed together (pursed) nor should you be using exessive pressure against your chops.. Corners and muscles aroung the lips support the shape of the embouchure as the air speed and volume change.

Watch this video, and check out all of James Morrison's other instructional videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrTDbnvDpU&t=3s
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that work for me -

1) Tighten both upper and lower lip 'isometrically'. Use muscles in a 'sideways' (left / right, NOT up / down / backwards) to give more tension to the surface of the lips.

2) Reduce the pressure on the upper lip by moving your lower jaw & teeth slightly forward, This should reduce the pressure on the upper lip and allow it to vibrate at the desired pitch. It seems you are using mouthpiece pressure instead of lip tension (item #1) to get higher pitches - and that stops working when the pressure is so much that the lip CAN'T vibrate any longer.

3) Higher pitches are produced by increasing the lip tension with LIP muscles, allowing the upper lip to be free to vibrate, and using enough air pressure and air flow quantity to cause the lip to vibrate.

4) I feel that changing tongue position helps to allow the lower jaw to move to the best location. The important aspect is the lower jaw position (item #2), so use the tongue to help get the lower jaw working correctly.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend you take one or two Skype lessons, less time than all the reading and much more to the point as an expert can watch your playing and give pointed advice. The above-mentioned Charlie Porter lets you schedule a lesson on his website in about 5 minutes, and they are less than $50 for an hour. There are other excellent folks out there as well.
cadoonster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all great!! I'll try each of your suggestions. I enjoy the "isometrically" bit, as well as the Skype lesson ideas. Keep rocking, you guys!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone have advice on how to use the tongue, and airflow, to ascend in range - not even screaming range, at that. What does a "proper" embouchure, tongue usage, and airstream feel like to the best of your descriptors?

The tongue or the air are not what determines the pitch played. Tongue movement is related to embouchure effort as you ascend. How much movement depends on your embouchure habits, and other things.

The best thing to "feel" is the resistance of the instrument, that resistance is the sound as you apply air power to it.

Feeling excessive resistance at the aperture, tongue or throat is the wrong feel and indicates inefficiency.

To succeed you must develop both fine control and strength of the embouchure. PM me, I can help you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: