• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Orleans?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenring

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: New Orleans? Reply with quote

I’m going to be in New Orleans Tuesday the 10th. Wondering if there is a good jazz club near the dome downtown that’s within walking distance?
Thanks for any recommendations.
Charles
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I'm aware of. Take a cab to Snug Harbor.
Tenring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the coworkers didn’t feel like getting out. Maybe next time.
Thanks
Gamode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love New Orleans, been there this summer at my friends new house who moved there from Athens, after he put property in Greece for sale https://tranio.com/greece/. Love local jazz clubs, consider them one of the best in general.

Last edited by Gamode on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
aspeyr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.

There are several “Jazz clubs” downtown. They are almost all downtown.. And all of them are within walking distance of each other.

-Frenchman street has a few clumped together.
-Preservation hall is famous and features “traditional jazz.”
-There are a couple of clubs actually on bourbon that are making some great music. Just stroll down the street and go where you ear takes you (doors are almost always open for you to hear what’s happening).
-Maple leaf isn’t downtown but has some good stuff happening usually.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty serious walk from the Dome to Preservation Hall, unless one or the other has moved.
Trptca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A serious walk? It’s less than a mile and a half and would only take about 20 - 25 minutes.

Neither has moved.

Why not walk through the quarter to get a view of the most famous part of New Orleans anyway?
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my very frequent trips to New Orleans, I have learned to minimize my exposure to the heat and humidity that accompanies a mile long walk in the summer. That experience results in my advice to ride, not walk. YMMV.

Also, other than Preservation Hall where you will hear Dixieland, most of the music you will hear in the Quarter is R&B. It's a different story over of Frenchman, but one who has any serious interest in personal security would be ill advised to walk from the touristy part of Bourbon - much less the Dome area - to Frenchman.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Trptca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who was born and raised in New Orleans, I will have to disagree . While working downtown in the orchestra, I walked too and from my home in midcity. I also frequently walked nearish Frenchman to grab some of the tastiest croissants in the city, Croissant d’or.

Bourbon has a good bit of jazz, not only r&b. Don’t take my word for it, go there and check it out! Also, there is a good mix of blues and pop music being played all over the quarter.

Why would it be ill advised? I walked that way nearly daily. Sure, be careful when walking in an unknown area, but many of the touristy crimes actually occur on the “side streets” of the quarter.

It seems you’re unfairly billing New Orleans as an unsafe, uncomfortable place to visit. It has its problems. But, walking from the dome through the quarter to find jazz isn’t one of them
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't grow up in New Orleans, but I have lived within a short drive of it for over 60 years. I have been there hundreds of times. I enjoy the Quarter as much as the next guy, but other than Dixieland (which I enjoy very much), I've never heard much of what I would characterize as "jazz" there. That's not to say there is not some great music in the Quarter, but I've just not found much jazz there.

In general, New Orleans is not remotely as dangerous as it was prior to Katrina, but just as any other city, there are areas where one should be most careful about walking after dark. In my experience, one of those areas is between the Quarter itself and Frenchman Street. Would I walk there at night with a bunch of male friends, at least some of whom were armed? Absolutely. Would I walk there at night with my wife? Not a chance.

My son was mugged at knifepoint a few years ago on Bourbon, just into the Quarter from Canal Street. I had warned him to avoid those few blocks, as they have been unsafe for decades, but he thought he knew best. He was in error. The first few blocks of Bourbon (where there is nothing of interest to a tourist) is still an area I would avoid at night.

That is not to say New Orleans is a dangerous city per se. Any city has areas one should avoid in the interest of safety. The vast majority of the places in New Orleans that any visitor would want to see are very safe; but GETTING TO SOME OF THOSE PLACES on foot at night is a different matter.

Certainly a visitor to New Orleans should walk through the Quarter. It is truly unique; but other than a streetcar, what is that visitor going to see on a walk from the Dome to the Quarter that he won't see in any other city? If he wants to see the Quarter, take a cab or Uber to Jackson Square and walk until his heart's content. If he wants some exercise, take off on that mile walk. It's not dangerous - unless he turns onto Bourbon from Canal. Better to enter the Quarter on a parallel street. I just don't find it pleasant to be sweaty from my walk at the time I get to the door of a great restaurant (which is pretty much on every corner) or a club where I'm going to hear some really good music (of which there are many in New Orleans). Each to his own.

Hopefully we can agree that New Orleans is a great town to visit; a great town for music in general; a great town for food (best I've ever found, and that includes Paris. New York's not even close); and the only place on the planet with the French Quarter, which everybody ought to see at least once in their lifetime. We can disagree about the best way to get from point A to point B when it's hot and humid (you walk, I'll Uber, and we'll both be happy).
Trptca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to disagree;

There is quite a bit of jazz in the quarter and on bourbon, not only Dixieland.

I believe you have the area a bit confused. The French quarter is literally adjacent to downtown (western portion of the French quarter). I’m sorry your son was held up, but that area has some of the nicest most expensive hotels in the city. On the south eastern side of the quarter you are pretty much on Frenchman street. Just cross esplanade and there you are.

I’m happy you seem to appreciate New Orleans music and culture. However, your observations about the locations you mentioned are inaccurate.

The OP asked if there are any places within walking distance. If you feel a mile walk is too far, then I guess I must accept that there is nothing within walking distance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: