• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking a day off

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What usually works better for me than a day off is a day where I do what I call "therapeutic playing," based on the theory that I've got two things going on when I feel shredded: fatigue and imbalance. My focus is to recover some of the balance doing things that aren't too strenuous.

My therapeutic playing includes things like flow studies or Stamp 3 and 5, work on soft and low volume low-register playing, and clean attacks. If time permits, I'll do this when I get home after a grueling performance or a tough rehearsal (yeah, my neighbors love me!). What I'm going for mostly is sound rather than feel -- this is the strategy that works for me, YMMV.

Once I coax my sound back to where I want it (or at least close to that), I try to put the horn away or spend some time doing low-impact fundamentals.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
kevin_soda wrote:
There's quote in the Bill Adam Tribute book that comes to mind.

"You can ALWAYS take a day off but you can NEVER take it back."

I interpret this to mean that you should always be honest and intentional about your needs and your goals. If you need a day off, you need a day off. Also, remember that mental practice/active rest can have unbelievably good results.

Another wise quote (not from Mr. Adam) "do the best you can in the time that you have."

that's called free advice. free for you to give and expensive for the other guy to take.
because <you> thrive on 7 days doesn't mean everybody does.
when my girls were in school they had this alcoholic female soccer coach who would routinely over train the kids, no pain no gain. nobody seemed to notice the staggering amount of injuries among her players including the poor wretch who ruptured her achilles tendon.

I think you missed my point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: