• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Really miss playing..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Really miss playing.. Reply with quote

Over the past 6 years or so I have been trying to get back into playing. Its been one hardship financially after another. Had to sell my King super 20 silversonic before I moved up to Nc. Got a king silver flair and finally a bach 72 that I loved and sold the silver flair. When all seemed good a few years ago the Va screwed up my disability as I am a disabled combat vet and had to get a loan on my 72 from a friend locally. My va crap still has not been fixed after fighting for over a year to get it back up . I use playing as a treatment for ptsd and stress in my life. Really need to get my crap fixed with the va so I can get my Bach back that I so love. Sorry just ranting and love playing even though I am not so great right now and not had a chance to really play in a while.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Really miss playing.. Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Over the past 6 years or so I have been trying to get back into playing. Its been one hardship financially after another. Had to sell my King super 20 silversonic before I moved up to Nc. Got a king silver flair and finally a bach 72 that I loved and sold the silver flair. When all seemed good a few years ago the Va screwed up my disability as I am a disabled combat vet and had to get a loan on my 72 from a friend locally. My va crap still has not been fixed after fighting for over a year to get it back up . I use playing as a treatment for ptsd and stress in my life. Really need to get my crap fixed with the va so I can get my Bach back that I so love. Sorry just ranting and love playing even though I am not so great right now and not had a chance to really play in a while.

Thank you for your service in the armed forces. So sorry that you got shot up. Now that you know I care? Please excuse me if I point out a possibly harsh reality. I'm seeing excuses here (on your reason for not following through with the trumpet) but I'm not seeing any reasons. Or to put it in another perspective,

What if you had completely lost your embouchure and couldnt play at all? Because this is the utter NIGHTMARE that I'm living through today. Thirteen months ago I sustained a chop injury that absolutely ruined my playing. And I was once a good player. My once beautiful and powerful upper register was history. Dead & gone... About the only thing I could do was play trombone. And while grateful for that? I really just wanted to play trumpet.

However after patiently rebuilding I'm now at least in view of finally playing about half as well as I used to. And with time? Maybe another year? Playing as well as I once did.

Point being my friend, You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

As per PTSD? I've been receiving tremendous help from watching the videos of Dr Jordan Peterson. He's all over the internet. A huge internet media star albeit with some controversy but I'll never touch on those matters. Since listening to Peterson I now make schedule of my day inc am and pm. And I write down what needs to get done. The old saying

"If you fail to plan? You're planning failure".

I don't want to do that. Good luck buddy! (:

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Really miss playing.. Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

Thank you for your service in the armed forces. So sorry that you got shot up. Now that you know I care? Please excuse me if I point out a possibly harsh reality. I'm seeing excuses here (on your reason for not following through with the trumpet) but I'm not seeing any reasons. Or to put it in another perspective,

What if you had completely lost your embouchure and couldnt play at all? Because this is the utter NIGHTMARE that I'm living through today. Thirteen months ago I sustained a chop injury that absolutely ruined my playing. And I was once a good player. My once beautiful and powerful upper register was history. Dead & gone... About the only thing I could do was play trombone. And while grateful for that? I really just wanted to play trumpet.

However after patiently rebuilding I'm now at least in view of finally playing about half as well as I used to. And with time? Maybe another year? Playing as well as I once did.

Point being my friend, You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

As per PTSD? I've been receiving tremendous help from watching the videos of Dr Jordan Peterson. He's all over the internet. A huge internet media star albeit with some controversy but I'll never touch on those matters. Since listening to Peterson I now make schedule of my day inc am and pm. And I write down what needs to get done. The old saying

"If you fail to plan? You're planning failure".

I don't want to do that. Good luck buddy! (:
thanks for the wishes. Not making excuses and I feel your pain on the embouchure. I fractured most of the bones in my face and skull and had 3 surgeries repairing them over the years. I have issues with memory on things I know such as finguring, I have lost a lot of my range and my endurance, but I still have an amazing right full sound. I will get my trumpet back when I can afford to, it will just take me a while. Once I do I'll start taking lessons again from my friend Rich Willey.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 22 year veteran. I have had two major and several minor strokes.

After several years of regaining enough muscular control, I am still at a level of the most basic of beginners' levels. I have been a professional musician all my life, so know the difference between what I can do and what I used to be able to do. It hurts and it's frustrating. But I keep on keeping on.

Although you have probably had physical disabilities to deal with, your post seems to me to be your difficulty with the VA and getting and keeping a Bach trumpet.

To me, it seems simple, unless you are destitute. Get a Bach and build an imaginary wall around it and, whatever financial needs you may have, do not touch the trumpet. It's simply not being in the equation.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I am a 22 year veteran. I have had two major and several minor strokes.

After several years of regaining enough muscular control, I am still at a level of the most basic of beginners' levels. I have been a professional musician all my life, so know the difference between what I can do and what I used to be able to do. It hurts and it's frustration. But I keep on keeping on.

Although you have probably had physical disabilities to deal with, your post seems to me to be your difficulty with the VA and getting and keeping a Bach trumpet.

To me, it seems simple, unless you are destitute. Get a Bach and build an imaginary wall around it and, whatever financial needs you may have, do not touch the trumpet. It's simply not being in the equation.

Right now it is not possible until it gets fixed with the va.. once I get it back I will not give it up again.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Really miss playing.. Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

I don’t know anything more about the OP’s situation than anyone else here, but I didn’t get an “excuses” vibe at all.

And pointing out the fact that your situation may (or may not be) worse is most likely not going to make him feel better about his situation. Have you ever had someone tell you “well, things could certainly be worse”? How much better did that make you feel about your situation? I’ll bet little to not at all.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I think it might have to do with one's personality traits, half full or half empty outlook. I've had it really bad a number of times yet, when I compare things to how they could be, "it could be worse", actually gives me greater and more effective incentive.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Brad, I think it might have to do with one's personality traits, half full or half empty outlook. I've had it really bad a number of times yet, when I compare things to how they could be, "it could be worse", actually gives me greater and more effective incentive.

You probably have a good point. I based my comments on some of what we were taught working on a Crisis Hotline, that sometimes “it could be worse” comments could have a negative affect. I still believe that they can, but everyone has a different outlook, as you said, yours is one of looking for positives in negative situations, which is great.

Not everyone has your outlook, but I suspect yours has served you well and possibly preserved your sanity. Or HAS it.....?😉😉😉😎😎😎

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and taking the other tack, for some persons, and especially on a suicide hotline where callers are already in a bad place, that phrase is probably taken as a big negative.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
. . . and taking the other tack, for some persons, and especially on a suicide hotline where callers are already in a bad place, that phrase is probably taken as a big negative.

Absolutely. Even though only about 15% of our calls were suicide related (I was there for five years and of course did take suicide calls), someone in deep depression doesn’t want to hear, or can even comprehend how much “worse” things might be. Our job was crisis intervention; what could we do to help someone THROUGH whatever crisis (which was a subjective term) they were in at that moment. One person’s crisis might be a deceased pet, another’s might be a relationship problem, someone else’s might be a wrecked car, etc. We never judged, we tried to help the person come to their own conclusions on how to make things better.

It was NOT “advice” or therapy, although it sometimes bordered on it.

Brad
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be much worse. I am not making excuses was just making a post as I am really craving playing. In the meantime I can buzz on my mouthpiece, work on my transposition to help my memory, work on scales by fingering them that way when I get my horn back I at least hopefully wont struggle with my fingering. I can try and envelop myself in local live music however I can. Eventually I'll have my horn back
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
It could be much worse. I am not making excuses was just making a post as I am really craving playing. In the meantime I can buzz on my mouthpiece, work on my transposition to help my memory, work on scales by fingering them that way when I get my horn back I at least hopefully wont struggle with my fingering. I can try and envelop myself in local live music however I can. Eventually I'll have my horn back

Just to clarify my opinions on this, I did not get the impression that you were making excuses, I thought you were just airing some feelings and frustrations here on TH. And you did so herr in the “Lounge”, the correct forum to do that.

Hang in there, best of luck and thank you for your service to the country!

Brad
greyMike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:

Thank you for service to the country and hope to have your horn working right now. The government should have more support for the modern day heroes like you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: