• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bad case of Sciatica - Kills me to sit more than 10 minutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Bad case of Sciatica - Kills me to sit more than 10 minutes Reply with quote

Any suggestions until this crap goes away? It's really hampering my practice.

I am trying to find a mattress that will aid my lower back pains .
Current mattress is one of the very early memory foam topped versions .

Sleeping is difficult on this as for the last six months i have pain from base of spine into the legs shortly after i lie down .
I have lower back disc problems for twenty plus years . In desperation i tried turning the mattress and sleeping on the non usable side .
This has resulted in a better sleep until i wake up in the morning with back muscles very tight and crippled most of the day .

Previous mattress tried over the years have been
Firm dont know what sort > Full Foam as sold by IKEA many years ago > Two week trial recently of two other mattress . One memory foam with foam base and a standard Staples mattress .
No mattress has really aided my spine in the last twenty years .

Have been looking at Memory Foam 2inch double sided with pocket springs or a Latex 2 inch doubled sided with pocket springs .

To go on a firm divan base .
gratefull for any pointers as to mattress suitable for lower back pain .

I was pounced upon in Dreams then visited a smaller beds showroom where the lady was helpfull but gradual pushed me up the range to $500 + mattress https://restfaq.com/mattress-under-500/ . I then did a bit of research and have spent hours reading various posts so i am a bit more clued up than i was at the start of my search for some comfort .

Thanks for any reply .

Last edited by Wan on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
bhornFree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been struggling with it for 2 years. I can't stand up for more than 10-15 minutes, but fortunately sitting is fine. But it's definitely not fun and OTC meds don't really help (and yeah - you can't practice very well with the rx ones...)

PT helps a little if you can do that. Maybe stand to practice? Or try a kneeling chair?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one experience with sciatica when I was 15 - dislocated my hip during a softball game - was alleviated by a couple of trips to a chiropractor.

You need to see a medical professional, not look for medical advice on a trumpet forum. Note the sticky at the top of the forum.
Bundy
No-name Chinese C
Vento flugel
Getzen Eterna pickle-oh
Schiller rotary pickle-oh
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon Pose
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFRoberts5 wrote:
Pigeon Pose

YES YES YES YES.

I had a bad bout a few years ago... did this plus a couple other poses (although this was the main one) and it totally stretched it out for immediate relief, and eventually it went away completely.
Assistant Professor of Music
Hastings College
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had lower back problems for years. I have a great chiropractor and use him as needed. Herniated L4, sciatica and the usual stress on the lower back from being a trumpet player comes up from time to time for me.

I also use a stool rather than sit in a chair to practice . It seems to take the stress off of my lower back.

Pete
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
being a veteran sprinter (100m and 200m), i must pay a great attention to some postures, such as driving for hours, otherwise i have some sciatical issues.
Be careful with long seating postures, bad postures in general, and know also that guts inflammation can compress the nerve.
The only physiological seating posture is squatting.

best
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standing joke is that I always thought my chops would give out first. Instead it's my backside and ever increasing inability to turn pages.

1. Always have a dense foam stadium cushion with you.
2. Get an office style "task" chair with adjustable height and back with a lock on how far you can lean back, for your practice chair. ( I like the ones with removeable arm rests.) These are under $100 at office supply stores. Be sure not to get the "executive" chair - soft cushy high backed recliner.
3. Do not sit in soft cushy couches or recliners. Get a glider, rocking chair, or one of those firmly padded chair/ottoman combinations.
4. Good shoes - no really. Alternate between good cross trainers and walkers. If you have to stand for periods of time - add a fatigue mat.
5. Research the strategic use of pillows for "sleeping with back pain".
6. Take a solemn oath to stop harassing clarinet players... This, of course, is a last resort in case the above 5 do not provide relief.
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reclined Pigeon. Everyday twice a day..Go see a medical massage person/chiropractor.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Bb GFT (Larson Brasswerks
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loudog wrote:
LFRoberts5 wrote:
Pigeon Pose

YES YES YES YES.

I had a bad bout a few years ago... did this plus a couple other poses (although this was the main one) and it totally stretched it out for immediate relief, and eventually it went away completely.

good stuff lads.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a substantial disk bulge in my lower back and it bugs me a bit all the time. Once or twice a year it's crippling. I've found foam top and any other pillow-top mattresses to be the worst. I have much better luck with firm mattresses

. Fortunately sitting doesn't usually exacerbate my symptoms. I also always try to be mindful of seating and shoes. My car has significant lower lumbar support and I'm careful how I adjust my seat. I avoid squishy chairs and any with seat bases that are too long. I avoid cheap shoes and have found a few that provide the support I need.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
skishhhh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: I believe in Physical Therapy Reply with quote

Things like mattresses and chairs and standing desks are all personal things, what works for someone else might not work for you. For me, memory foam is terrible, for others it is great.

Chances are high that your doctor will send you to physical therapy. It's like private music lessons, you don't get much better from your lessons, you get much better from the home practice guided by the teacher's lessons. Do your home PT exercises.

In my personal situation, I fought back problems for many years and had a major incident in 2014, which kept me out of work for months. I built up home PT exercises to about 45 minutes every morning and 30 minutes every evening. Gradually the problem got better, perhaps 95% resolved. 5 years later I'm still doing about 20 minutes per day of those exercises, that keeps my back healthy. Don't bother going to PT if you aren't going to commit to the home exercise program, you won't get better.

Good luck with it.
Coemgen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello
being a veteran sprinter (100m and 200m), i must pay a great attention to some postures, such as driving for hours, otherwise i have some sciatical issues.
Be careful with long seating postures, bad postures in general, and know also that guts inflammation can compress the nerve.
The only physiological seating posture is squatting.

best
Agreed regarding squatting. Squatting helps keep one's spine and rib cage flexible. It also strengthens one's abdominal muscles.
supercow216

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bad case of Sciatica - Kills me to sit more than 10 minu Reply with quote

I felt your pain. I had serious sciatia about 5 years ago, due to playing table tennis (lots of sudden twisting involved). My right leg felt constant stabs. I did not realize that the stab was phantom and the pain actually came from the swollen spine contacting with the sciatic nerve. I works a lot with computers and that did not help either.

You certainly don't want exercises involving stretching downward, touching toes, sit up. Some of them may help numb the pain, they tends to make the spine press more to the sciatic nerve.

Instead strech backward (like a cobra), do plank exercises that strengthen your core back muscle, which prevents spine from being swollen.

Also when you practice, sit on the edge of the chair. This way makes sure your back is straight and you can compress air efficiently.

I recovered from sciatia after a year of exercise and paying attention to my posture. Now I sleep at night

Good luck!

Wan wrote:
Any suggestions until this crap goes away? It's really hampering my practice.

I am trying to find a mattress that will aid my lower back pains .
Current mattress is one of the very early memory foam topped versions .

Sleeping is difficult on this as for the last six months i have pain from base of spine into the legs shortly after i lie down .
I have lower back disc problems for twenty plus years . In desperation i tried turning the mattress and sleeping on the non usable side .
This has resulted in a better sleep until i wake up in the morning with back muscles very tight and crippled most of the day .

Previous mattress tried over the years have been
Firm dont know what sort > Full Foam as sold by IKEA many years ago > Two week trial recently of two other mattress . One memory foam with foam base and a standard Staples mattress .
No mattress has really aided my spine in the last twenty years .

Have been looking at Memory Foam 2inch double sided with pocket springs or a Latex 2 inch doubled sided with pocket springs .

To go on a firm divan base .
gratefull for any pointers as to mattress suitable for lower back pain .

I was pounced upon in Dreams then visited a smaller beds showroom where the lady was helpfull but gradual pushed me up the range to $500 + mattress https://restfaq.com/mattress-under-500/ . I then did a bit of research and have spent hours reading various posts so i am a bit more clued up than i was at the start of my search for some comfort .

Thanks for any reply .

I am still learning!
supercow216

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: I believe in Physical Therapy Reply with quote

skishhhh wrote:

Chances are high that your doctor will send you to physical therapy. It's like private music lessons, you don't get much better from your lessons, you get much better from the home practice guided by the teacher's lessons. Do your home PT exercises.

completely agree. I went to the therapy. She was showing me some exercises to do without explaining the reason of the pain (she only said my spine was not very straight), and I thought "Does she even correctly identify the cause?".

Go home, look up internet, practice daily and voila

I am still learning!
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stretches/exercises you need depends on the particulars of your condition which we can't diagnose. It could be some of the advice above is the exact opposite of what you need and could make your condition worse.

I have had back pain off and on for years. I had always treated it myself and eventually got over it. But more recently it got worse, a nerve pinching issue. My doc prescribed PT, something I had never done before. The therapist analyzed my posture, I was arching my back too much. Many people have the opposite problem though, and different therapy is needed. I think strengthening the core and the glutei is something about everyone needs, but the particular stretches/exercises that will help you the most will vary based on the condition.

My PT is covered by my insurance, if you have health insurance definitely get PT. My problem was pretty bad and it took four months of regular PT to get on top of it. Also as mentioned above, stick with the exercise program they set. I am still doing 20-30 minutes of exercises every other day and I also do stretches and massage morning and evening every day.
Yamaha YTR-915 picc circa 1973 / Blackburn pipes / GR 63P-M with #41 XE adapter
CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS flugel circa 2016
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: