• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry James Model King Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Harry James Model King Trumpet Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the King trumpets Harry James played all had the sterling silver bells? Since there seems to be King Super 20 Symphony balanced models out there, and evidently not all of them ever belonged to Harry James, are there any with brass bells?
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Harry James model King trumpet Reply with quote

I have a balanced King Symphony model from 1949 that has the brass bell. It would be interesting to know its pedigree since it's one of the earliest examples of these that I've seen.

Dave Brewer
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of his had his name engraved on it.

nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell would be the person to ask.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was mentioned earlyier scodwell would know for sure but I have seen two with a brass bell gold plated manufactured after HN White company sold and heard the bell maker who did these didn’t go with the company when sold and that art was lost to King. This could be bs but the gold plated kings with brass bell is still for sale.

Andy Taylor made me a 99% silver side seam one piece and it was put on an Eclipse Enigma. I think Adams and Enders as well as some rapa horns have silver bells. Leigh at Eclipse will make you one with a Taylor bell. All silver bell horns horns have something more and a very pure sound. It’s a shame these are only available on 5000$+ horns as I have never found another that plays anywhere close to the Eclipse with that bell.

Some people say the become tiring, but I find it so easy to play that ithe opposite is true for me. If you are looking I would advise the silver bell. The Reynolds artist with the silver bell is virtually the same bell but I believe a larger bore - been awhile since I had one in my hands. The early super 20 had a brass bell and a smaller bore and it’s a great one and one of the sweetest sounding horns ever and a lot cheaper.
My .02 and worth every penny
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: