• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Earplugs, Yay or Nay?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JessHorner23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Earplugs, Yay or Nay? Reply with quote

I'm planning to ordered a pair of custom earplugs like this from this company called Big Ear. I just saw this brand from another thread here and I already checked their website. They are a legit brand and they have good quality products IMO. Then I suddenly had this question in my mind...

Do you guys use earplugs? I play and practice while using earplugs...not the foam ones but the ones made for musicians. Is it weird that I play music while wearing earplugs? I don't know. I just started to use them when I read it on some website about 3 years ago. Should I buy this pair that I've been searching about for the last 3 hours? Am I a compulsive buyer?

Seriously guys... Do you also use earplugs while playing or practicing?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:45 pm; edited 11 times in total
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seem pretty interesting and I wouldn't hesitate to buy those or something similar. I've been wearing custom molded plugs for about 19 years or so and wouldn't want to do any type of 'band' gig without them. Hearing problems don't heal, they only get worse so protect yourself when you can!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was too much work to listen to the video or filter through the information on the big ear website. But...

I use the custom musicians ear plugs. They were fitted by my audiologist. The brand is Westone with filters from Etymotic Research. They offer different db filters. The filters are designed to be flat across the sound spectrum so they don't distort the highs and lows, thus making them better for musicians.

The filters themselves are little things maybe a quarter of an inch in thickness and 3/8ths of an inch in diameter.

They run $40 for each filter, $80 for both ears, from Westone, but on Amazon a quick search shows them for $30 each.

I use them occasionally, for instance when the trombones are on the step above playing in my ear.

I needed to get used to them. The 25 db were too much for me to hear the band. I am now using 15 db I believe. I find that I slot better with them in as the sound in my head is much louder and isolated. But hearing the mix and tuning with the section and band/orchestra is harder.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
The brand is Westone with filters from Etymotic Research.

The ones I use are similar to those... What I found interesting is the brand linked had 'solid' filters ( something I wish I had on occasion) and also what looks like a small 'plug' that presumably 'leaks' a bit of unfiltered sound in... something that could be useful on those 'in-between' gigs, where filters are a bit more than needed.

I needed to get used to them.

Yes, it can take quite awhile to get used to wearing plugs for sure!

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
The brand is Westone with filters from Etymotic Research.

The ones I use are similar to those... What I found interesting is the brand linked had 'solid' filters ( something I wish I had on occasion) and also what looks like a small 'plug' that presumably 'leaks' a bit of unfiltered sound in... something that could be useful on those 'in-between' gigs, where filters are a bit more than needed.

I needed to get used to them.

Yes, it can take quite awhile to get used to wearing plugs for sure!

My Westone plugs came with the solid and 25 dB inserts. I am assuming that the “‘leaks’ a bit” filter you are referring to are the dB filter.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Earplugs, Yay or Nay? Reply with quote

JessHorner23 wrote:
I'm planning to ordered a pair of custom earplugs like this from this company called Big Ear. I just saw this brand from another thread here and I already checked their website. They are a legit brand and they have good quality products IMO. Then I suddenly had this question in my mind...

Do you guys use earplugs? I play and practice while using earplugs...not the foam ones but the ones made for musicians. Is it weird that I play music while wearing earplugs? I don't know. I just started to use them when I read it on some website about 3 years ago. Should I buy this pair that I've been searching about for the last 3 hours? Am I a compulsive buyer?

Seriously guys... Do you also use earplugs while playing or practicing?

Earplugs? Yay. I used musician's earplugs for a while. (I'm not playing in an ensemble right now.) Protect your hearing. Age will start taking some of it anyway, so care for what you have while you have it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just depends on what kind of work you do. With pop/cover bands, I've just used conventional music ear plugs, leaving the one away from the rhythm section, loosened. None for playing in wind ensemble.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

My Westone plugs came with the solid and 25 dB inserts. I am assuming that the “‘leaks’ a bit” filter you are referring to are the dB filter.

I was thinking that they probably have a 'solid' filter these days so I'll be finding some of those this week, as the past 2 gigs were on the brutal side for me!

The 'leak plugs' I was referring to were are actually little separate plugs on the linked video.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It depends" is a good answer.

I have two sets that I use commonly: I have a custom set that I've had for years, USAF gave to me. The one where a tech fills your ear with foam to make a mold for the actual set of plugs. These also come with 3 different attenuators.

And I've recenlty picked up a pair of "Eargasm" High Fidelity plugs.

My experience is that these both work about the same, as far as what I can hear. The Eargasm sit better partially inserted - for time when I want to hear a little more acoustically.

I tend to use them when things start to get really loud. Like the end of the night at a wedding recetption/party, or when the venue is particularly loud with a cover band. Every now and then in a big band setting I'll use them, but generally volume is not so bad in the back row. And I can't remember every using them in a small ensemble, quintet or solo situations.
When I was in the USAF I played in a Salsa group for years. My spot was beside the drummer, I had a ride symbol just off my left shoulder - I quickly learned to wear an earplug on that side.

The issue is hearing yourself, above all of the internal sounds that you make to play (mouth and throat noise)

I'm more comfortable using earplugs in ensembles that I've played with before and/or rehearsed with - I feel I'm better at judging my personal volume and blend. If it's a group I'm reading with I still want to hear more to judge my imput-volume, blend, pitch, etc.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I think it just depends on what kind of work you do. With pop/cover bands, I've just used conventional music ear plugs, leaving the one away from the rhythm section, loosened. None for playing in wind ensemble.

THIS!!

Use SOMETHING for cover/pop/amplified bands, I never did, tinnitus is my result.

Brad
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a non-denominational church gig this past Sunday. 3 guitars, bass, keyboard, huge sound system, monitors on the floor, all trumpets (3 of us) supplied with clip-on mikes so we could be heard. 40 member choir had overhead mikes. A couple singers in each voice had handheld mikes so the choir parts could be heard. Used my Hear-O plugs for the gig and was able to save my hearing. Glad I had them in the car.
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
wehip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
The issue is hearing yourself, above all of the internal sounds that you make to play (mouth and throat noise)

I have found the exact same to be true.

I recently started wearing earplugs due to an onset of hyperacusis (sound sensitivity) following a head injury. When I first got back on the horn I tried playing with a practice mute and earplugs, but I could barely hear the difference between mute in or out because of those internal sounds. It's a strange sensation.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use plugs, I use shooter's earmuffs. Much easier to lift one side when my wife is trying to talk to me.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_Bumps wrote:
I don't use plugs, I use shooter's earmuffs. Much easier to lift one side when my wife is trying to talk to me.

Why would you want to do that?

Listen to your spouse?
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Why would you want to do that?

Listen to your spouse?

Haha! Just received my 'solid' filters today... also got a pair of ER-9 filters to try on some quieter gigs.

The 'Earplug Superstore' has a lot of different stuff to check out for those looking into the whole ear protection thing.

https://www.earplugstore.com
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Adjustment time for getting used to earplugs Reply with quote

I have 30Db earplugs which I use for motorcycling, which do a great job of cutting sound, cut it a LOT. Now I'm not actually talking about performing, even. The fact is, most of my playing, as an amateur, is practicing in my small utility room which is big enough for two double-beds (*not that we store two double-beds in there, I say that just to explain the size...)

I am feeling 'strange' in my ears when I leave a half-hour practice session, and I've done all I can, with sound-absorbing panels on every wall. I also notice a slight buzzing (wouldn't quite call it tinnitus yet?) when I lie in bed after playing for a bit.

The thing is, I play trumpet because I like the sound of it and the glorious harmonics that all blend into that distinctive trumpet sound. If I were to play with plugs almost all of my playing time, what's the point?

So how long was people's adjustment period, and is playing with plugs as pleasurable, after the adjustment period?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Earplugs, yay or nay? Reply with quote

Now, listen to the sage veterans in this topic. I never wore earplugs at any time playing in band, orchestra, lab band, small group, etc. and was ok with that. In my adult life I ended up working in printing for over 20 years on big machinery. I wore earplugs every work day for all those years and have pretty significant hearing loss. I could tell in municipal band some and that goes back many years. I do agree with Zaferis in that "it depends" If I were 20 again, vs. 70 I would wear them in certain settings or doing long rehearsals. If you love that glorious trumpet sound and I'm sure we all do find something good to wear and make use of it.
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blbaumgarn

So to be clear, are you saying that your hearing loss came not from working in a loud environment, but from trumpet playing over many years in loud groups?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty clear that normal music volumes can damage hearing. A few years ago a viola player in the Royal Opera House won a lawsuit claiming occupational hearing damage.

There are also studies showing the risk.

Musicians must wear earplugs in orchestra to prevent hearing damage, study reveals

Symphonic Musicians and Hearing Loss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: