• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jerome Callet's Library

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Jerome Callet's Library Reply with quote

Greetings,

Upon Jerome's passing, his wife Yumiko bequeathed chunks of his very large library of classical trumpet books to several of his close friends and students, including myself, Kyle (the moderator here), Ralph Salamone (of True Power Trumpet YouTube channel), and several others. It seems as though Jerome had been searching for the "secret" of the great players throughout all of these books (which he eventually published, in detail, in Trumpet Secrets).

In addition to many method books published throughout the years and pieces for trumpet and piano/organ, were many of his personal transcriptions, as well as loose-leaf binders filled with orchestral excerpts, photos of embouchures of trumpet masters of yesteryear, exercises he had written, and his own transcriptions. He always had one of those binders on, or next to, his music stand during our lessons, but I did not realize that he had been assembling binders like that FOR DECADES and had so many of them !

Many of his transcriptions appear to date back to as early as the late 1940s or early 1950s. It appears that he had been going to the University of Pittsburgh music library (or similar), and transcribing ENTIRE BOOKS BY HAND ! There were no photocopy machines back then or digital cameras, so that was the only way, if you wanted your own copy.

I have begun digitizing and posting portions of these so everyone that is interested may enjoy them. Eventually, I hope to have posted all of his transcriptions. I believe that was what Jerome would have wanted - his goal was to elevate the quality and level of trumpet playing throughout the world, and he was generous to a fault with information and knowledge.

That all being said - TH is unfortunately an AWFUL place to do this ! The TH GUI appears to have been designed circa 1997, and does not even let you post photos - you have to "host" them on another site, and then "link" to them here using HTML code (!). Therefore, for simplicity's sake, I will be posting these digital copies on the Facebook (FB) Jerome Callet - Master Superchops group, and then re-posting on the FB Trumpeters, Trumpets, and Trumpeting group. There are ALOT of compelling reasons to not use/join FB, or any social media for that matter, but this may be a strong reason for the contrary.

So far, there is his transcription of Paginini #24 (a REAL chopbuster - once you have worked on this, you are pretty much ready for anything !) , some Hindimith, and a bunch of Buddy Rich lead trumpet parts.

Wishing you all the best, and happy spit-buzzing -

Jeremy Mush1
Flatbush
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jerome Callet's Library Reply with quote

deejaymushone wrote:
Greetings,
It seems as though Jerome had been searching for the "secret" of the great players throughout all of these books (which he eventually published, in detail, in Trumpet Secrets).

Not to divert the fine work you have done above or to subvert the goal of your post, would you mind answering a question for me?

If one were to get just one of Jerry's books for a good insight into his findings, is this the book you recommend, or another? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divert away - the most fun part of the journey are the tangents !

And yes - if I were to only recommend one of Jerome's books, it would unequivocally be Trumpet Secrets - and not only b/c Kyle and I both co-edited it !

Trumpet Secrets contains the culmination of Jerome's life's work with regard to brass embouchure and the forward tongue placement, with alot of VERY detailed text, clear instructions, and accompanying illustrations. The only problem is that this book was not cheap when it was new ($60, I believe), and is now out of print.

The only active, forward moving part of Jerome's trumpet empire is sadly now Jerome Callet Mouthpieces, which Ralph Salamone has purchased from the Callet family, and which he now has sole ownership of. He sells them via his True Power Trumpet YouTube channel. Callet mouthpieces are currently in production (as of 2019), and are manufactured by the great Jim New.

Kyle (the moderator here) operates Jerome Callet trumpets, but sadly, these were manufactured by the legendary Zig Kanstul, who has also passed, and Kanstul Trumpets is no more. Whatever stock Kyle still has is the last remaining stock in the world of brand new Jerome Callet trumpets - at this point, only the Sima and 2015 NY Soloist are left.

Jerome Callet's publishing empire is gone, and all of his books are now out of print. I think it would be great if someone .pdf'd them all and just posted to a site like Scribbs. I believe Trumpet Yoga is already up there for free. Yumiko gave me the last few copies she had of his books Beyond Arban and Superchops. These were also given out for free at his memorial. I would happily send free copies of these to people that were interested, & would only need S&H.

Also - Jerome Callet's Jazz Trumpet & Flugelhorn are also currently being manufactured and are for sale - this was supposedly arranged via a licensing agreement with Lee Adams and Jerome. These horns are not made by Kanstul. Lee may have tweaked them a bit, and Lee also took over www.callet.com. Super-chops.com is still being maintained by Jerome's wife, Yumiko for the time being.
1965 Olds Recording

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, thanks so much for your post. I searched on eBay, and generally, and did not find a copy of Trumpet Secrets. I did find a lot of ancillary material, though Thanks again, K-

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of this Mush1!
I've also got a couple of those binders myself that were gifted to my by a very generous pupil.

I have already scanned my copy Trumpet Secrets, but I don't know what the consensus is about sharing it. Bahb Civiletti (co-author of the book) still has quite a few copies that he sells from tce-studio.com - it's worth making sure that Bahb is still being talked about. He is a fantastic teacher and is very passionate about the TCE. In fact, he has written two further books about TCE since he stopped hanging out with Jerry. His most recent has a great essay in it written by Dr Niranjan Wijewickrema discussing the possibility of tonguing thru the teeth, thru the ages! He makes some great observations about some of the oldest known trumpet methods.

I was going to talk to you about the idea of setting up a web archive relating to Jerry's work - I'd be happy to host this but I think it'd be worthwhile trying to find a way for it to fund itself. Just the cost of my own two websites is enough!
It's good to share that the information on FB, but I'm concerned about the permanence... or lack of it...

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet wrote:
Thanks for all of this Mush1!
I've also got a couple of those binders myself that were gifted to my by a very generous pupil.

I have already scanned my copy Trumpet Secrets, but I don't know what the consensus is about sharing it. Bahb Civiletti (co-author of the book) still has quite a few copies that he sells from tce-studio.com - it's worth making sure that Bahb is still being talked about. He is a fantastic teacher and is very passionate about the TCE. In fact, he has written two further books about TCE since he stopped hanging out with Jerry. His most recent has a great essay in it written by Dr Niranjan Wijewickrema discussing the possibility of tonguing thru the teeth, thru the ages! He makes some great observations about some of the oldest known trumpet methods.

I was going to talk to you about the idea of setting up a web archive relating to Jerry's work - I'd be happy to host this but I think it'd be worthwhile trying to find a way for it to fund itself. Just the cost of my own two websites is enough!
It's good to share that the information on FB, but I'm concerned about the permanence... or lack of it...

Oh right on - I had no idea that Bahb was still selling Trumpet Secrets - to the above poster, there’s your answer-so yeah that one should def not be posted online for free !

As for a permanent online archive of Jerome’s materials - that would be awesome. And - anything of his I post to FB, feel free to copy & add to that - at that point, it’s in the public domain.

All the best,

Jeremy M.
1965 Olds Recording

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case my last PM didn't make it, "thank you".

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: