• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The saddest thing I've read in a while (Kanstul related)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: The saddest thing I've read in a while (Kanstul related) Reply with quote

From http://www.kanstul.com/:

Quote:
Thanks to all our friends for a long run

And it has been a long run.

67 years ago, Zig Kanstul first began crafting brasswinds, and though the master himself passed in 2016, our family has carried on the tradition of building a broad line of brass instruments with an unrelenting focus on the sound.

However, we came to a point where it was no longer viable for us to continue.

We want to thank all the players who have made music on our horns over the years, from the casual players, the band members, the drum corps sections—to the professionals in the pop, rock, jazz, symphonic, mariachi, and Hollywood soundtrack genres—and everyone in between.

We’d also like to thank our indispensable design collaborators who over the years worked with Zig to create so many horns that made history.

Also, thanks to our dealers and resellers, and of course our private-label partners who have kept so many iconic instrument designs available to the serious playing community.

This website will remain online for the foreseeable future, as an archive of Kanstul history and product information. Content on this website is for reference purposes only. Our doors are closed permanently and we will no longer be responding to phone calls or emails. Inquiries regarding archive status may be sent to scott@eyemotive.com.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good things must pass" but . . . damn!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this from Flip when trying to buy another one of his horns.

Last edited by theslawdawg on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Kanstul's tooling was bought by BAC Musical Instruments of Kansas City MO. I believe that Mike Corrigan posted a video of the tooling when it just arrived. It was quite cool to watch. Charles Hargett, who was at Kanstul, now works for BAC in sales.
So Kanstul lives on to a certain extent in BAC. They have brought together an impressive line of tooling, reuniting certain tooling that was split up with acquisitions and changes in the brass business. It seems they are planning to be innovators while maintaining traditional methods. It should be fun to follow.

In my conversations with Mike and Charles, I find they are moving forward on a lot of projects and improvements in their instruments. They do custom work as well as having their own growing lines of instruments.

I certainly hope they are successful.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this John. We new things were final. But it's still moving to read their final message. I wish their family and former workers all the best.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really sad to hear this but not very surprised. Zig was certainly a legend in his own time. I've had a number of Kanstul horns over the years including a 1500 trumpet and 3 flugels. I still have my 1525 but haven't played it for over a year. I'm one of those people who don't believe in just keeping a horn in the closet and never play it. I'm considering selling it, but am wondering if Kanstul going our of business will have an effect on the used value of their horns
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The building has also sold, and is now being cleaned-up as a lease property by the new owner.

Thankfully, most everything that was left there moved to KC and is in good hands.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
thehedge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News I read in a Trent Austin mailing is he's working with BAC to produce a BAC / ACB custom horn. It'll have a Benge 3X bell with an Adams A5 valve block.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehedge wrote:
News I read in a Trent Austin mailing is he's working with BAC to produce a BAC / ACB custom horn. It'll have a Benge 3X bell with an Adams A5 valve block.

Thank you for the mention. The BACB horn is already finished and available at the KC shop. Here's to many more great collaborations with the awesome staff at BAC!

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/the-all-new-bacb-collaborative-trumpet-bac-and-acb/

Link

It's clear from what I see in my workings with Mike this year + since moving to KC that Kanstul will be in good hands with his company. There's a lot to do (there's so much to still catalog even for them) but the results of our work together so far have produced some great horns!

Best regards,
T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the ACB email blast yesterday, I was struck by what an amazing looker the BACB horn pictured was - especially the old school hand engraved look to the art deco inspired bell crest. I couldn't help but notice that the specs called for a yellow brass bell with a Benge 3 taper, yet the bell pictured was clearly bronze and that flare really looked fatter than my Benge. (a Kanstul 7 looks fatter than my Benge 3X too...)

I think I am more intrigued by the horn pictured than the horn described (though the horn described sounds interesting as well).

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Looking at the ACB email blast yesterday, I was struck by what an amazing looker the BACB horn pictured was - especially the old school hand engraved look to the art deco inspired bell crest. I couldn't help but notice that the specs called for a yellow brass bell with a Benge 3 taper, yet the bell pictured was clearly bronze and that flare really looked fatter than my Benge. (a Kanstul 7 looks fatter than my Benge 3X too...)

I think I am more intrigued by the horn pictured than the horn described (though the horn described sounds interesting as well).

Definitely a 3x style (I watched them make the bell )

The alloy I'll have to ask Mike again but the first few BACB horns were all yellow brass and it plays like YB to me.
-T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the old eyes are not as color tuned as I thought. Asking some questions, sounds like it's gold brass, not bronze.

Regardless, with that burnished deco crest against the brushed finish and the overall build quality, it's one of the most aesthetically captivating horns I have seen in a long time, while being a pure classic & not resorting to modernist gimmicks.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: