• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Too much air and instrument

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Too much air and instrument Reply with quote

I play 90% on my Bb but I also have two Cs and a "flugabone" (marching/valve trombone). I've played in church on my Cs a couple of times now and every time I feel like my breathing gets off. It may well be nerves--that I'm breathing too deeply and ending up with stale air and the feeling that I'm barely going to it make through all the stanzas.

That said, it seems to only happen on C trumpet, whereas on Bb I don't have this to the same degree. On the flugabone, I noticed I essentially never have too much air and it takes everything I give it (if anything there the danger is losing power near the end of breath rather than retaining too much air).

I know I need work on breathing in general and efficiency, but I wondered if others could share their experience on navigating this. I've heard people talk about their air backing up on a trumpet, and I didn't really know what this meant, but I'm guessing that that is what is happening to me. A similar experience happened the few times I played piccolo, so I think I'm looking for advice on how to put less air into a smaller instrument.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
you have to spend a part of your daily session with C trumpet to overcome these issues.
practice with it very sofltly, without pinching/closing too much the aperture, and work on resonance and fast response. By this way, you'll take the marks and will be able to play under all dynamics according to the horn's physics.
Be sure it's clean too
best
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have problems with breath per se on a C but it definitely feels a bit "off" after playing for years exclusively on Bb trumpet & some flugelhorn. It's the odd feeling of the notes not being "in the right place". I don't have perfect pitch but still you develop a sense of where the notes lie after a while. I got a C just as a fool-around since I'd never played one and don't play it a lot but it's better than it was when I first picked one up.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably 100% a performance/C-trumpet question. If I move over to C for a week or two it feels natural and sounds right. I have a pretty good C, a Fides Symphony, and I like it. As an aside, the other thing that surprised me was that in the church the Ds on the staff sounded a little off (even though I'd practiced tuning with a piano earlier). Still, I end up with too much air. I also have a Carol C pocket trumpet and have had the same issue.

I saw Harrelson has a leadpipe that he says is the "trombone player favorite" and it did make me wonder about the general instrument size: air relationship. I guess like many questions here so much depends on the player and there are a lot of variables. Obviously, it's something I'd like to improve. I actually feel pretty good sight transposing, so maybe next time I'll try a Bb and see if I have the same problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: