• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How should a lead mouthpiece rim size relate to normal mtpc?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bubbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: How should a lead mouthpiece rim size relate to normal mtpc? Reply with quote

So I've been wondering this for a while and especially since I'm planning on buying a GR Northern Brass mtpc soon. I've seen it a few different ways, Bobby Shew believes that the lead piece's diameter should be smaller then the normal mtpc. and the Jazz is a bit wider then the Lead. Wayne Bergeron just uses the same diameter across the his mouthpiece line. I currently play on a Hammond 7ML which is a .642 diameter. If I'm playing an audition or a concert or something of that variety I use a Yamaha 14a4a which is apparently 0.656 diameter (I want a GR mostly for a softer rim, I don't feel like I bottom out on my current lead piece). I take this all with a grain of salt, knowing that every company measures from different points to get their diameters. So now I'm not sure what to get if I go strictly off of numbers I should get the Northern Brass 4-64****, if I go off the numbers of the 14a4a then it should be the 4-65****, if I go off the Callet website it says the the 4-66**** is good for people who bottom out on 14a4a models. Like I said I don't bottom out on the 14a4a but I can surely benefit for a bit more cup room. I hope someone can help me out on this.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a 14B4 or 14B4a to get a slightly deeper cup with same (or similar, anyway) rim.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there is something like a Yamaha 14B4a (nor a Schilke) in regular production. It should be a 14B4 with the tightest Yamaha a backbore. Maybe Toshi can make it.
BTW the 14B4 is a great mp, especially as 14B4GP, but it could be a little bigger than your 14A4a. But the 14B4 certainly is not a big mp.

Last edited by delano on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW when I saw Bobby live he played almost everything on his Jazz piece including some stratospheric playing. The only time he switched to his Lead piece was to play a very specific Latin solo that lingered well above the staff. After which he immediately returned to his Jazz piece. So it seems to me his recommendation for a lead piece might be tempered by how he uses it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
knowing Bobby since 1993, when i started to study with him, and having had the extreme pleasure to play with him, i can say some things.
First, he makes a difference between facts and opinions. And i don't think i'd betray him if i said that he'd consider general rules can all work for everybody. Yes his YAMAHA lead mpc's ID is smaller than his jazz'; all the Marcinkiewicz Shew mps have similar IDs but the Outer diameter is a little wider on Shew 2.
But adopting this, which is shared by classical players for instance, playing on 1 1/2 C for C & Bb horns and 7D for piccolo, OR keeping the same ID, must be a personal choice based on your observations.

And he uses his lead depending on the range and sound he wants to have on such or such tune

Now, for what your question, the best would be to ask Brian Scriver, from GR, and TH member.

best
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I don't think that there is something like a Yamaha 14B4a (nor a Schilke) in regular production. It should be a 14B4 with the tightest Yamaha a backbore. Maybe Toshi can make it.
BTW the 14B4 is a great mp, especially as 14B4GP, but it could be a little bigger than your 14A4a. But the 14B4 certainly is not a big mp.

Oops, I blew right past "Yamaha", duh. Read the mpc and mind went to Schilke. I have a 14B4 in gold and like it though have switched to a Curry 7DE for the most part for high stuff. I had a 14B4a, also in gold, but got rid of it years ago. I liked the more open backbore, Not sure if the 14B4a was a one-off; I think the "a" was stamped separately so may well have been. That was pushing 20 years ago now.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guidelines are good:

If your lead piece has a high alpha angle -(slant down not straight drop into cup-) then your deep piece should have the same angle and same diameter. That means a more v shaped cup on your deep. This is for players who primarily play the lead piece.

If your lead piece has a low alpha angle then your deep piece should have the the same angle and be one “size” bigger in diameter. Otherwise you will fall into your shallow. This is for players who switch a fair amount.

If your deep is your primary piece and you only play shallower occasionally AND your deep is bigger than 3c then your shallow should be about 3 “sizes” smaller. This is for players who mainly use the shallow of picc.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: