• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is it weird for jaws to be tightening as you play higher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Champloo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Is it weird for jaws to be tightening as you play higher Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been playing for 2 years now and i am looking for advice in the upper register. I have a solid E, a not so solid F and a shaky G on trumpet. As I play above C, I feel immense tension in the corners of my mouth. Is that normal development as my muscles are getting used to playing up there or should I find a way to decompress?
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
immense tension to play in the staff or just above is not a good thing.
with no other informations nor seeing/hearing you, we can't tell you other thing than having lessons with a good teacher. You said nothing about been taught, so i guess you just play by yourself and accumulate several bad habits...
best
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is it weird for jaws to be tightening as you play higher Reply with quote

Champloo wrote:
Hello,

I have been playing for 2 years now and i am looking for advice in the upper register. I have a solid E, a not so solid F and a shaky G on trumpet. As I play above C, I feel immense tension in the corners of my mouth. Is that normal development as my muscles are getting used to playing up there or should I find a way to decompress?

how does it sound?
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Through diligent concentration and practice, I was able to dramatically reduce the tension in my jaw. Just play easy stuff and try not to clench and tighten. It’ll get better !
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it weird for jaws to be tightening as you play higher Reply with quote

Champloo wrote:
Hello,

2 questions. Are you speaking og e/f/g at top of staff? When you say tension at corners are you saying outer edges of lips or right outside edge of mouthpiece. If you are speaking of top of staff and mean the outer edges of the lips you may have been taught to go higher by smiling. Trying to thin the lips by pulling back the edges of the lip. This is generally recognized as bad practice and although it can work well for awhile for practiced players any endurance or extreme range gos out the window. Find a good teacher of fundamentals, net ask and you will have many good recommendations
Rod
zimbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was learning I hit a similar problem where my corners would get tense and tired quickly. I would work on this by balancing higher notes with pedal tones.

Chicowitz flow studies would also be something to look into to help make these notes flow easier. Focus on "gliding" between notes and they should start laying nicely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: