• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uqj3ww8jw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Flugel case Reply with quote

I'm searching for a case or gig bag to hold a Courtois Flugelhorn plus 2 other horns - B-flat and piccolo or something similar. The Courtois seems to be taller than most so it doesn't seem to fit in the cases I have tried. Marcus Bonna has a case for that set up but the website doesn't show the dimensions. I'm curious if the Gard Elite might work. Someone mentioned a Coyote bag. The dimensions shown on the website look to be too small. Any suggestions?
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for something similar. Wiseman cases is probably the closest I've found but they're just so damn expensive.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Messina Covers - their 2.5 or Triple would work, and they sell inserts to pack differently.
or
Protec's Deluxe Triple, works well, if you're looking for a gig bag.

If you're looking for a hard shell case, I would think a Protec ipac quad could be configured to your needs.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
I'm looking for something similar. Wiseman cases is probably the closest I've found but they're just so damn expensive.

I've had one for 15 years and they are worth every single penny.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a Gard 9-MSK that is supposed to be able to hold two trumpets and a flugelhorn with their mid-bag suspension system. I will post a review after I receive it. Woodwind & Brasswind has them for $145 currently. They're having a Labor Day sale and you might be able to get a discount.

https://www.wwbw.com/Gard-Mid-Suspension-Trumpet-Flugelhorn-Gig-Bag-H67645-H67645000002002.wwbw

Company demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035prNFLRCY
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Flugl case Reply with quote

I realize that everyone is different...BUT...(1) I'd NEVER put a horn in upside down! Did that with a Getzen flugel in the '70's and not only did the oil leak out all over the bag but it ruined the rubber inserts on the top valve caps. (2) I would also NEVER stack horns. Too much could happen. To each his own! Please don't get me wrong...I'm not criticizing the purchase of this bag...it just wouldn't be my ideal set-up due to the reasons mentioned above. Good luck with it an I sincerely hope you like it!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Flugl case Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
I realize that everyone is different...BUT...(1) I'd NEVER put a horn in upside down! Did that with a Getzen flugel in the '70's and not only did the oil leak out all over the bag but it ruined the rubber inserts on the top valve caps. (2) I would also NEVER stack horns. Too much could happen. To each his own! Please don't get me wrong...I'm not criticizing the purchase of this bag...it just wouldn't be my ideal set-up due to the reasons mentioned above. Good luck with it an I sincerely hope you like it!

Butch

I have a '70s Getzen flugel. Guess I'll have to see if the same thing happens. Very rarely, if ever, will I need to carry three horns--usually just trumpet, flugel, and a few mutes and accessories, so probably won't be stacking them often.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I received the Gard 9-MSK today. The workmanship seems to be very good, but time will tell. The shoulder strap has no padding--I will probably get an after-market pad.

It's advertised as fitting a flugel and two standard sized trumpets; I think it's probably better as a 1-trumpet-flugel-mutes bag. Two full-sized trumpets is a bit of a squeeze. Maybe it will stretch, but that's kind of a scary thought.

I managed to fit my Getzen flugel in okay. I then put my Bach Strad trumpet on the bottom of the other slot and laid my Getzen 700 on top. It was really tight zipping it up and was kind of lumpy because the Bach is a little taller in the valve casing and has a little wider wrap. When I put the Getzen on the bottom and put the Bach on top, it closed a little easier, but I think it's really not practical for those particular horns. Maybe a C or Bb and a piccolo, and then a cornet or small flugel in the other side. My Getzen flugel has a big bell and fairly wide wrap; in order to fit, the rim of the bell has to rest on the bottom of the case. I tried turning it right-side up but that didn't work. I assume the memory foam pads may eventually compress a little and make entry and exit a little easier. Like I said earlier, I think it's better as a 2-horn bag. Three horns if one of them is small.

Update: I just tried my Getzen Capri cornet on the top and it fit reasonably well. So I could carry a trumpet, flugel, and short model cornet as long as the valves aren't too tall. An Eterna cornet probably wouldn't fit.

The side pockets are very skinny. When I put my Protec quad mouthpiece case in the zippered pocket, it kind of put some pressure on the flugelhorn slides. It fits better in the top when I have my short cornet in, though I need to wrap it in a soft cloth to keep it from scratching the bell bow on the cornet.

It comes with a nice rain cover, but with the cover on you can't grab the handles or use the shoulder strap.

To the OP: This is probably not the bag for you if you have a wide-wrap flugel like the Courtois or the Conn Vintage One. I believe those are both bigger than the Getzen Eterna.

It will meet my needs since I almost never use more than two horns on a gig and don't gig that often, but overall I'd give it two and a half or three stars out of five. If you're doing a lot of heavy traveling with your horns or carrying them every day, I'd recommend something sturdier in a little higher price bracket, like a Stomvi quad or one of the Gard wheelie models.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. For $145 it's decent enough, but it's really not what they claim it to be. It may work better with horns from different manufacturers, but if you're planning on carrying three horns, two full-sized trumpets is a bit risky. It's really not a triple bag, more like a 2.5.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
wehip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced my totally shredded Protec triple bag with a Reunion Blues Continental triple. This bag fits by B-flat, flugel, and piccolo PERFECTLY with just enough room for a mouthpiece pouch and practice mute. No need to add extra padding like I had to with the Protec. Only con with the RB is that there are very few extra pockets for accessories. Just enough for a music folder in the outside pocket and a few bottles of valve oil in the inside pocket.
Piccolo: Kanstul 920
robcs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Protec Quad.

It holds a Jupiter flugel, a Bach Strad, and a Courtois C with ease.

I keep the flugel in a Fusion bag, even when it's in the Protec, which then allows me to also carry a soprano cornet in a toga if I need to in the same compartment. I've arranged the foam blocks to make sure nothing moves around. Plus, the large front pocket allows me to keep mouthpieces and music away from the horns.

The only thing I'd change is I'd get the wheeled version (I chose the non-wheeled).

Since yu're carrying fewer horns than me, it'd be a great choice.
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
curtelverd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flugel case Reply with quote

uqj3ww8jw wrote:
I'm searching for a case or gig bag to hold a Courtois Flugelhorn plus 2 other horns - B-flat and piccolo or something similar. The Courtois seems to be taller than most so it doesn't seem to fit in the cases I have tried. Marcus Bonna has a case for that set up but the website doesn't show the dimensions. I'm curious if the Gard Elite might work. Someone mentioned a Coyote bag. The dimensions shown on the website look to be too small. Any suggestions?

I’ve been searching for the same thing!!! I have a Protec quad on wheels currently. Its will hold my Courtois at an angle, a Big trumpet, and squeeze a picc. I like the case, but need something less bulky and more durable.

I tried a triple Marcus Bonna at a clinic and couldn’t get my big bell Courtois to fit. I talked with Messina covers, and they will custom build any case for their customers. Plus they have tons of cool colors!

If you anything that works, will you let me know? Thanks and good luck!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flugel case Reply with quote

uqj3ww8jw wrote:

Just for comparison the bell of the Courtois is 20mm wider than a Bach flugel. So it is not just the wider wrap that is the issue. I have the same issue. The original courtois case weighs far too much.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: