• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 14a4a mouthpiece good for Jazz beginners?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]
Brad361 wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
. . . I also believed that for pro horns, your choices were Bach, Schilke and Benge, period.

Not so fast, Mi Amigo.
I played professionally and a guy I also worked with, professionally, played Severin sons. They were pretty popular. As a matter of fact, the other guy traded in his Benge for one of them.

I've had two severinsen horns. Sweet horns.

But, I think what Brad was trying say was those were the only horns available where he lived. I know for me, it was pretty much Bach or bust. Not a bad thing since my 37 was all I needed.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]
Brad361 wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
. . . I also believed that for pro horns, your choices were Bach, Schilke and Benge, period.

Not so fast, Mi Amigo.
I played professionally and a guy I also worked with, professionally, played Severin sons. They were pretty popular. As a matter of fact, the other guy traded in his Benge for one of them.

Good point, and true. I meant that in MY narrow frame of reference back then, the main three were Bach Schilke and Benge, I wasn’t implying that brands like Getzen or Yamaha or ____ were definitely out there and were good choices.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="theslawdawg"]
kehaulani wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
yourbrass wrote:

Not so fast, Mi Amigo.

I've had two severinsen horns. Sweet horns.

But, I think what Brad was trying say was those were the only horns available where he lived. I know for me, it was pretty much Bach or bust. Not a bad thing since my 37 was all I needed.

Being in Chicago, Getzen was absolutely present, but again, in my narrow and narrow-minded circle the big three were Bach, Schilke and Benge.

So now that I’ve derailed the thread......
Brad
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After perusing Mohan's self-described "looooooong" self-quote

And then stopping for a nap

And then waking up and finishing the post, I gathered:

Every trumpet player is different, and everybody needs to find a mouthpiece that works for them. And somehow this essay proves that you DEFINITELY shouldn't play a 14A4a, whatever you do.

It's just a mouthpiece guys. It's not the end of the world.

I guess I'm just spitting into the wind here. Maybe I should quote myself more.

johnlakejazz.com
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
It's amazing how many trumpet cases I open to take out the horn to work on, and there's a 14A4A in there, usually next to a more normal mouthpiece.
And usually it's someone who stopped playing. Wonder what contributed to that?

I think in many cases, pun intended 😉, the reason you might find a 14a4a in the case of someone who had stopped playing is because they are readily available. And sometimes, people who quit do so in or after high school, and we know, possibly even from the starter of this thread, that many high school kids get the idea that a 14a4a will give them upper register that they don’t have.

I have used a 14a4a on and off for YEARS, currently I play Trent Austin’s “take” on it. Maybe the reason it worked for me in college jazz band (God help anyone caught using it in concert band!) was because back then (‘72-‘76) many of us had neither the funds nor the knowledge to try something else. No internet back then (guys under 30 say “What???”😱). Schilke was a 20 minute EL ride from where I went to college, so it was easy....it was always a pretty fun trip too, especially on a Saturday when you might bump into guys like Faddis or Buchtel....and subsequently ponder after hearing guys like that whether you should switch your major.😉

So maybe some of us MADE it work. Back then, I also believed that for pro horns, your choices were Bach, Schilke and Benge, period.

At any rate, it’s like everything else, certain equipment works for some and not others, but I still believe students should steer clear of specialized equipment.

Brad

I got to hear Mr. Buchtel play with a local big band back then and I don't know what he was playing - he just sounded the end! Much later I got a chance to do a casual show with him - what a treat.
https://yourbrass.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
It's amazing how many trumpet cases I open to take out the horn to work on, and there's a 14A4A in there, usually next to a more normal mouthpiece.
And usually it's someone who stopped playing. Wonder what contributed to that?

I think in many cases, pun intended 😉, the reason you might find a 14a4a in the case of someone who had stopped playing is because they are readily available. And sometimes, people who quit do so in or after high school, and we know, possibly even from the starter of this thread, that many high school kids get the idea that a 14a4a will give them upper register that they don’t have.

I have used a 14a4a on and off for YEARS, currently I play Trent Austin’s “take” on it. Maybe the reason it worked for me in college jazz band (God help anyone caught using it in concert band!) was because back then (‘72-‘76) many of us had neither the funds nor the knowledge to try something else. No internet back then (guys under 30 say “What???”😱). Schilke was a 20 minute EL ride from where I went to college, so it was easy....it was always a pretty fun trip too, especially on a Saturday when you might bump into guys like Faddis or Buchtel....and subsequently ponder after hearing guys like that whether you should switch your major.😉

So maybe some of us MADE it work. Back then, I also believed that for pro horns, your choices were Bach, Schilke and Benge, period.

At any rate, it’s like everything else, certain equipment works for some and not others, but I still believe students should steer clear of specialized equipment.

Brad

I got to hear Mr. Buchtel play with a local big band back then and I don't know what he was playing - he just sounded the end! Much later I got a chance to do a casual show with him - what a treat.

Very cool! His father was one of my college professors, Forrest Sr always referred to Forrest Jr as “Larry”, I believe his middle name was Lawrence. So “Larry” would stop by the college on occasion, it was great fun hearing his stories about playing with Buddy Rich, Blood, Sweat And Tears, etc.

Brad
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 14a4a mouthpiece good for Jazz beginners? Reply with quote

Champloo wrote:
Hello,

Is the Schilkje 14a4a suitable for starting jazz?

I agree with the other posters - this is a specially designed mouthpiece not suitable for beginners and hardly for anybody else either. In my search after a lead mpc I bought this mpc but found that I just couldn´t use it. The alpha-angle is way too big, the very special cup constituted another problem to me. Today I use a Schilke 14B, rather V-ish, helps me up high yet providing a rather big sound - suitable for big band. If I were to play in a concert band with my trumpet I would use a Schilke 14 (or a custom designed 14 3 D3).
How come do you think that you need such a special mouthpiece?? And in what kind of setting? Jazz menaing what? Improvising? Trumpet 1-4 in a big band or what? Big group small group? Preferable sound? Level of musicianship? Experience?
You provide way too little information!!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 14a4a mouthpiece good for Jazz beginners? Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Champloo wrote:
Hello,

Is the Schilkje 14a4a suitable for starting jazz?

I agree with the other posters - this is a specially designed mouthpiece not suitable for beginners and hardly for anybody else either. In my search after a lead mpc I bought this mpc but found that I just couldn´t use it. The alpha-angle is way too big, the very special cup constituted another problem to me. Today I use a Schilke 14B, rather V-ish, helps me up high yet providing a rather big sound - suitable for big band. If I were to play in a concert band with my trumpet I would use a Schilke 14 (or a custom designed 14 3 D3).
How come do you think that you need such a special mouthpiece?? And in what kind of setting? Jazz menaing what? Improvising? Trumpet 1-4 in a big band or what? Big group small group? Preferable sound? Level of musicianship? Experience?
You provide way too little information!!

I’m guessing the OP is a student, probably high school. I think by now he’s been clued in to the idea that most of us think students should avoid this and probably other “lead” mouthpieces.

To the OP: I hope you don’t feel as if you were “jumped on” for asking your question, and if some of my comments might have added to that impression, my apologies. Sometimes some of us get a bit overzealous in our opinions here, myself included.

Stick around, there is a lot of good information here, I would have loved having a resource like this when I was a student. Just remember it IS the internet, you can’t take everything said as absolutely applicable to your situation. TH is another source of info, but it’s not a “bible.”

Brad
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the OP, probably he is only enjoying all these Pavlov reactions or he ran for his life. Believe me, the OP never thought that the 14A4a could be suitable for a starting jazzplayer but he was absolutely certain about what was going to follow. He only threw a bone to a bunch of very hungry dogs. But if you all enjoy it, go on, I will keep silent.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Don't worry about the OP, probably he is only enjoying all these Pavlov reactions or he ran for his life. Believe me, the OP never thought that the 14A4a could be suitable for a starting jazzplayer but he was absolutely certain about what was going to follow. He only threw a bone to a bunch of very hungry dogs. But if you all enjoy it, go on, I will keep silent.

Maybe...but somehow I don’t think so in this case. The same person ran a WTB ad in the marketplace for a 14a4a. Seems like a lot of effort just to see the reaction from poking the TH hornets’ nest.

Whatever, and you’re probably right about the fact that he’s already split.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: