• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

After-beats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas2516

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: After-beats Reply with quote

Playing Carmina Burana in a couple of weeks. The after-beats in the first and last movements are at a frantic tempo. It's too easy to find myself hitting on the beat instead of after. My work with the metronome is getting me closer and closer, but I keep thinking there could be a mental approach that would make this an easier learning process.

For instance, I've found that thinking of the hits as pickups to the next beat instead of responses to the previous beat works a little better. And keeping the notes short helps too. Anything else?

Thanks.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're already doing this, but I have found it very helpful to think of playing long phrases, letting the afterbeats glide over long group-beats, especially instead of thinking of them as individual notes following single-beat rests. Keep the breath flowing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Maybe you're already doing this, but I have found it very helpful to think of playing long phrases, letting the afterbeats glide over long group-beats, especially instead of thinking of them as individual notes following single-beat rests. Keep the breath flowing.

Agreed AND....
Can you play them as down beats? I'm guessing you can play a series of notes that quickly, it's just a matter of execution as off beats.

Play all the beats (on and off beats) equally, then accenting the off beat, then remove the on beats.
I'd also go the other way and play them as long tones, keeping the air moving not making the notes shorter. "Create the illusion of staccato with the clarity of articulation" If you're trying to MAKE them very short you'll get yourself tongue-tied, and probably get late.
Practice without the trumpet, like whistling "tu, tu, tu.." keeping the air moving over the tongue and through the lips...
Keep working slow to fast, but also try to go really fast. Faster that you think you can.. shed, shed, shed!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: After-beats Reply with quote

Thomas2516 wrote:

For instance, I've found that thinking of the hits as pickups to the next beat instead of responses to the previous beat works a little better. ...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Be careful about playing them as pickups to the next beat - unless that's their musical function.
I consider 'off beats' to function as rhythm, and pickups to be part of the next musical phrase.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best musicians subdivide the beats in a measure.
One you learn to do that, your timing and getting after beats correct will come naturally.
It takes practice. Start slowly and then pick up the tempo.
R. Tomasek
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
Thomas2516

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Good advice for me to try. I appreciate your help.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Nice
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Victor Wooten video is incredible. Wow! That guy can groove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: