• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedgwood Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Wedgwood Cornet Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a Wedgewood Cornet for sale? I have plaed one, and I love it.
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Played" one and I love it. the y key stuck.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

es, I know what ou mean. That can be reall annoing

And no, I do not know of any for sale. Good luck on your quest...
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to order one from Wedgwood directly? Nothing beats a new horn ... especially if you cannot find a used one.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis Wedgewood doesn't make them anymore.

Might want to look at these instead though -

http://www.smithwatkins.com/products/cornets/cornets-b/soloist.html
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattergrub wrote:
Denis Wedgwood doesn't make them anymore.

That is what I understand, too, though his website is still up (I took the liberty to remove the "e" from Wedgwood.)

There are only one or two people on here that own a Wedgwood cornet and, from what I understand, they are not likely to part with them. Denis Wedgwood made a very fine cornet.

-- Joe
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Im not the best speller in the world. "Wedgwood." I am playing in a Brass Band, and find myself in need of a B-flat cornet. I used to play Sop a long time ago... and these guys have a Sop player. I borrowed the Wedgwood, and it is the nicest cornet I have ever played. I heard that he does not make them anymore... But I saw that one was sold second hand in the UK a little while back.... so you never know.

It is a beautiful horn, and a great player.

Are the Smith Watkins have a similar blow, feel, sound?
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the real reason that Wedgewood horns are no longer made. I was quite interested in his presentation of the ovoid valve passage. Actuallywas thinking that CNC production would have made the build of these more practical ... and productive. Too, I like his saturn water key. An innovative guy!
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I know about Wedgwood not building any longer comes from here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99252
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tk1031 wrote:
Are the Smith Watkins have a similar blow, feel, sound?

Not in my experience - not even close.

The reason why there are so few Wedgwood cornets on the second hand market is because those people who do have them tend to hang on to them.
I have played a few Wedgwood instruments and the cornets are definitely at the top end of the cornet chart. I know a couple of people who have tried them and found that they didn't work with them on the end - the "blow" can be quite different from the majority of cornets and the difference doesn't always agree with some players.

Purely personally (if I was looking for a new cornet) I wouldn't be looking for the Wedgwood, but that is purely because I have tried other cornets I preferred (and no, Smith-Watkins is nowhere on that list)
Jazzman885

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmike, I am interested as to why you appear to be not keen on Smith-Watkins cornets, given that they offer so many bore size/leadpipe combinations that I would have thought most players could find a combination to suit.
I play one, with a KO leadpipe and, perhaps because I'm not the greatest cornet player in the world, I don't find anything to criticise about it (I even had a pro player try it and he said he liked it better than any other he had played).
I sometimes wonder about swapping my S-W cornet for an Eclipse (because I love my Eclipse trumpet and flugel), but I am not really sure what specific differences to look out for when comparing.
Your comments on here always seem pretty constructive, which is why I am interested in your observations on this particular subject.
Thanks
Alan
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a Smith Watkins "Soloist" and have both the K2 and T4 leadpipes. I use a Wick 4 "Heritage" mpc. Love the horn to death. The interchangable leadpipes are an incredible feature. I'd also love to see them with interchangable screw on bells like the Stomvi Master series.

Ask TrumpetMike which Smith Watkins horn he played. The fixed leadpipe or the "Soloist" model. ? If it was the "Soloist" model - which leadpipe and mpc did he use for the trial ?
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis made his horns in a one-man shop. He did everything personally.

He developed problems with hands. It hurt too much do the the manual work necessary for the manufacturing process.

While the Wild Thing Bb is my preferred horn for most playing ops and my Kanstul 1525 flugel is my choice for the small club playing that I like most to do (but don't get to do very often), the Wedgwood cornet is the instrument that gives me the most pleasure just to sit down and play.

I love it and it's not for sale at any price south of something Dave Monette might propose.

Tommy T.

Last edited by tommy t. on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a recent email from Mr. Wedgewood in which he informed me he is no longer building horns.

Too bad.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzman885 wrote:
Trumpetmike, I am interested as to why you appear to be not keen on Smith-Watkins cornets, given that they offer so many bore size/leadpipe combinations that I would have thought most players could find a combination to suit.

Flattergrub wrote:
Ask TrumpetMike which Smith Watkins horn he played. The fixed leadpipe or the "Soloist" model. ? If it was the "Soloist" model - which leadpipe and mpc did he use for the trial ?

(anyone can ask me questions, it is allowed )

I first played one of the Smith Watkins cornets when I was at university - they came up to allow one of the cornet professors (Jim Shepherd) to try out the instruments and he encouraged all the trumpet/cornet players to join him in the testing. At the time I was playing on a beautiful Sovereign cornet (on loan from the band I was playing with) and the SW matched it in terms of tone, but I found it very difficult to find a leadpipe that gave me the same feel that the Sovereign delivered. I honestly can't remember what mouthpiece I was using at the time (this was 15 years ago and I have changed a couple of times since then).
Since then I have played just about every cornet out there (at ITG conferences and similar) and always found the Smith Watkins cornets interesting, but not for me.
I am currently playing a Xeno cornet (also own a Maestro) and they are very easy for me to slip into, whilst when I have played a SW I have had to concentrate quite hard about being a cornet player, rather than a trumpet player holding a cornet (which is something I have often heard in trumpet players who are found playing cornet).
Some of the instruments (not worth asking which leadpipes, I have tried a number but without keeping records) have had what I consider to be a cornet sound, but there has been something lacking in the "feel" which I know is very difficult to pin down. For me, there are very few cornets out there that capture what I want a cornet to feel like, alongside the sound that I am looking for. The Besson instruments still (for me) capture what I consider to be a cornet sound & feel, as does the Eclipse cornet and if I was playing cornet more regularly than I am currently doing I would almost certainly have one of these fine instruments.

There is also a nagging doubt in my mind about the valves that SW use. I have played a number of older (used) SW instruments (trumpets and cornets) and the valves have never felt quite right to me. I have to admit I find this very unusual, knowing who makes the valve blocks. I have played (and own) a number of instruments made by the firm that build the SW valves and I have no idea what SW do to the valves, but they don't seem quite as easy to play.

My apologies for not being able to pin down exactly what it is that I have not been so impressed with about the Smith Watkins instruments, but it is more than what comes out of the bell. I know a few people who love them (the professor mentioned earlier did buy one, but he was the only person at the university who did) but for me they will not be part of my cornet playing decision making. They sound good, they have a fairly accessible range but FOR ME there is something missing.

(apologies for the length of this post)
bmjcook
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetmike"]
Jazzman885 wrote:

Flattergrub wrote:

(anyone can ask me questions, it is allowed )

I first played one of the Smith Watkins cornets when I was at university - they came up to allow one of the cornet professors (Jim Shepherd) to try out the instruments and he encouraged all the trumpet/cornet players to join him in the testing.

Gidday TrumpetMike
You studied under Jim Sheperd??? If so, you lucky devil. A most gorgeous player.
Cookie
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmjcook wrote:
Gidday TrumpetMike
You studied under Jim Sheperd??? If so, you lucky devil. A most gorgeous player.
Cookie

I wish
I was studying trumpet, not cornet (and at Huddersfield, the two don't mix!). I was lucky enough to hear him play up close a number of times and talk to him very many times.
We had three trumpet tutors and two cornet tutors (the other was Philip McCann - not a bad double act between them!)
bmjcook
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetmike
I wish
I was studying trumpet, not cornet (and at Huddersfield, the two don't mix!). I was lucky enough to hear him play up close a number of times and talk to him very many times.
We had three trumpet tutors and two cornet tutors (the other was Philip McCann - not a bad double act between them!)[/quote]

Gidday again
Was it Mr McCann who took over from Mr Sheperd at the Dyke. I have all of the "World's most beautiful melodies" but not so impressed with the vibrato, a little over the top. Now, James Sheperd is a master "cornettist", pure class. I have a lot of LP's of Mr Sheperd and the Dyke and I still enjoy his playing. My favourite brass player is David Daws. Right at the top in my opinion.
Cookie
thebilby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is really old but I have a Wedgwood cornet sat doing nothing!!
Might consider letting it go if I get the right offer.
French besson Bb
French besson C
Stomvi Master Eb/D
Jupiter flugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: