• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Americans and their pronounciations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bwat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Americans and their pronounciations Reply with quote

Trent Hamilton nails it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC8pFgaQR90
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! This reminds me of my home area. All sodas are 'cokes'. At a concession stand, as a child, I would go up to the counter and say, "I want a coke."
"What kind?" was the query.
"A Dr. Pepper...or RC...or Pepsi" ...chuckle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Hawai'i. You should hear that dialect. Not only English but from other Asian and Pacific languages/dialects.

I also did some English teaching in Germany. Most could understand formal German but more regionally, sometimes locally, there are different dialects.

One night (in Germany) on a band break, I heard two guys talking and didn't understand a word they were saying. I told a friend, "Sometimes I have a problem understanding you Saarlanders (I was from the Rheinland-Pfalz) but what the heck are those guys saying?"

My friend said, "Oh, they're from a small village and even we can't understand them."LOL

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]I'm from Hawai'i. You should hear that dialect. Not only English but from other Asian and Pacific languages/dialects.

I also did some English teaching in Germany. Most could understand formal German but more regionally, sometimes locally, there are different dialects.

One night (in Germany) on a band break, I heard two guys talking and didn't understand a word they were saying. I told a friend, "Sometimes I have a problem understanding you Saarlanders (I was from the Rheinland-Pfalz) but what the heck are those guys saying?"

My friend said, "Oh, they're from a small village and even we can't understand them."LOL[/quote
My wife grew up in Honolulu and I spend about 4-6 weeks there every year. Hawaiian Pidgin takes a while to understand. Some words crept into my vocabulary over the years. We had an intern at the last school I taught at who asked me one day if I was from Hawaii. Turns out she lived in Honolulu for 10 years. Apparently I said something that was Hawaiian Pidgin.
One year we had a resident artist come in to teach the kids hula. She was one hundred percent Native Hawaiian. That’s becoming a rare thing these days.
The minute she opened her mouth I turned to my teaching partner and said that this woman wasn’t from Hawaii. I could tell by her way of speaking. I spoke to her later and said that I could tell she wasn’t from Hawaii. She laughed and said she was born and raised in Southern California. She asked me how I knew and told her she had no Pidgin accent. She didn’t sound like any of my wife’s cousins!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a mall in Mississippi and saw a guy who looked Hawaiian so I talked to him. My wife later said, "I heard you ask, 'You from Hawai'i?' and he said 'Yes' and that was the last thing I understood". LOL

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Coemgen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
HA! This reminds me of my home area. All sodas are 'cokes'. At a concession stand, as a child, I would go up to the counter and say, "I want a coke."
"What kind?" was the query.
"A Dr. Pepper...or RC...or Pepsi" ...chuckle
My home area, Boston, before the internet age, if you asked for the soda aisle in a grocery store, they'd direct you to the baking aisle where the Arm and Hammer boxes were shelved. If you said, I'm looking for Coke, you'd be directed to the "tonic" aisle. Now locals unabashedly call "tonic" "soda."

Btw, the correct "Boston" pronunciation of "horn" rhymes with con (which rhymes with corn).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: