• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used ebay's tracking option for selling a horn? I've got a buyer in the US and the "Global" Shipping Programme cant be used there because of customs. Even though I've spoken to the buyer several times I'm still reluctant to ship it with the risk that they might say it has't arrived, leaving me liable.

Does ebay's tracking option provide enough protection?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh wrote:
Has anyone used ebay's tracking option for selling a horn? I've got a buyer in the US and the "Global" Shipping Programme cant be used there because of customs. Even though I've spoken to the buyer several times I'm still reluctant to ship it with the risk that they might say it has't arrived, leaving me liable.

Does ebay's tracking option provide enough protection?

Have you ever checked out the eBay community forums? You'll get input from experienced users. You might encounter the typical public forum noise ratio but you'll almost surely get useful info.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Discussions/ct-p/12001?nobounce=
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy anything from Drew Mc Gee.
Tptgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Scammers? Reply with quote

Haven’t been here for a while. Scammers under control? How to combat?
si3464

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bman485 could be a drew mc gee clone account. I just paid for an artisan case, I did not use Paypal friends and family. will be disputing soon, no response, and he updated his listing.
Bert Falcone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Scammers Reply with quote

I got the same type email. Sounds like a scam for sure. Here is the email thread. Beware if you get an email from this person.

floraluceri0001@gmail.com

Am located in Wisconsin, I'm seriously interested in buying it for my sister, what is your asking price. I would have loved to come check it out myself but am currently in camp as military instructor for new recruits. I won't be able to leave the base until 2nd of December this year, I however squeezed out time to check this posting as all personal dealings are highly restricted here, i really want this as a surprise gift for my sister, so i won't let her know anything about this until it get delivered to her and due to the fact that phone calls making are restricted......I will be paying you with my PayPal account because it's attached to my bank account and its safe and very secure way to make payment. If my mode of payment is accepted just send me your PayPal email address,(PayPal ID) so i can pay in right away.....I would also like you to send me some pictures to my email: floraluceri0001@gmail.com[/b] and also the shipping cost to Wisconsin. I'll need your name, your PayPal email address for the payment and send me some recent pictures if available And if you don't have a PayPal account, you can easily go to http://www.paypal.com/ and sign up,it's very easy.

I await your reply asap
Best Regards.
1940 NY Bach ML
1945 French Besson Meha
1978 Benge 1X
1950 Martin C
2008 Selmer Concept Flugel
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bert Falcone

Yes, this is definitely a scam!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scammers Reply with quote

Bert Falcone wrote:
I got the same type email. Sounds like a scam for sure. Here is the email thread. Beware if you get an email from this person.

floraluceri0001@gmail.com

Am located in Wisconsin, I'm seriously interested in buying it for my sister, what is your asking price. I would have loved to come check it out myself but am currently in camp as military instructor for new recruits.

This isn't how a military instructor would refer to themselves.

Ask them their rank and name of course, the title and designation of their MOS (military occupational specialty) - it won't be "instructor" it'll be something like 31B (military police) and they would say it "thirty one bravo", the name of the base (from what I find there's only one in WI - Fort McCoy) what unit they're part of - Division > Brigade > Battalion > Company, what the base CO's name is, the name of his company commander.

You can verify it with the Army but I doubt you'll even get a response back, or if you do it'll be some nonsense about "military secrecy prevents it" yada yada.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
@Bert Falcone

Yes, this is definitely a scam!

-------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone describe how such a scam would work?
If the PayPal transaction goes through, what is the scammer's method to retrieve the $$ and keep the merchandise?

Just curious. I understand the scam about paying with a fake check (or money order) that is detected long after the bank initially credits the seller's account - and then later the bank claws-back the money from the seller.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cbumcrot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just slightly off topic.... but this scam is very similar to one I frequently get as a university trumpet prof. An email asking about private lesson rates, etc., and wanting to pay up front for 2 or 3 months at a time since they will be out of town and their "lovely young daughter" will be driven to lessons by the "nanny". Long story short... there is no daughter. They want to send a check that will of course bounce and somehow via that bad check they get your banking info. It's all very obvious and suspicious.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbumcrot wrote:
Just slightly off topic.... but this scam is very similar to one I frequently get as a university trumpet prof. An email asking about private lesson rates, etc., and wanting to pay up front for 2 or 3 months at a time since they will be out of town and their "lovely young daughter" will be driven to lessons by the "nanny". Long story short... there is no daughter. They want to send a check that will of course bounce and somehow via that bad check they get your banking info. It's all very obvious and suspicious.

Very similar to ones I get as a translator. Some are from a Nigerian Bishop whose wife is coming for a shopping trip and needs an interpreter. Others are more sneaky pretending to want a translation and wanting to pay up front. Pretty easy to sniff out.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbumcrot wrote:

I don’t understand how the scammer could get your banking info if you don’t give it to them. Perhaps some banks print the deposit’s account number on the cancelled check?

My understanding is that the scam is actually that they “accidentally” send you a check that is for more than you agree on. They then tell you that to speed things up you can just send them the excess. After a week or so the check comes back as fraudulent and the victim is out the money they sent.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

🚨Scammer alert🚨

Brianjoshua304@gmail.com

responded to each of my ads claiming to be selling that specific horn. First time I asked to provide details of the horn he was selling which he could not do.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
🚨Scammer alert🚨

Brianjoshua304@gmail.com

responded to each of my ads claiming to be selling that specific horn. First time I asked to provide details of the horn he was selling which he could not do.

Mine as well!!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
plandmeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to sell tons of mouthpieces, mutes, cases, and several great horns...including 3 Mt. Vernons. Reading this thread makes me nervous! I have been a full time professional player and have only recently joined this sight even though I have lurked for years! Still trying to navigate my way around. Started listing cases, mutes, etc on FB marketplace just to dip my toe in the water.

Not going to list any valuable horns until I figure this stuff out.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Trust your instincts.

Given the strength your brief resume, you will be able to ask insightful questions and make a good decision based on the response (or lack thereof.) Genuine buyers will be happy to engage you. On more than one occasion I have had either lengthy emails or phone conversations with members here that ended up being more relational (similar backgrounds, playing experiences, horn preferences) than about the actual item in question.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that, as a seller, once you received the PayPal payment, you were home free. No?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I thought that, as a seller, once you received the PayPal payment, you were home free. No?

Using PayPal recently, they hold your payment receipts until you can show proof of shipment. So avoid the "Friends and Family" option and have them pay as purchase. PayPal has their own shipping and will track your sale, if you use that,, and it is discount priced.. I suppose a scammer could accuse you of not delivering what you advertised and try to demand PayPal return his payment.

I use eBay for my bigger value items as a result.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, huntman.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

A shipping scam to be aware of - one that scams the buyer.

The seller ships a package to an associate in a nearby location. They use this tracking number to show "proof of delivery" of the item you bought.

You say (truthfully) that you never got it. The arbitrator says "The shipping company says it was delivered". I could not get the arbitrator to check that the delivery address was my address.

In my case it was a seller on Amazon Market Place. And not an inexpensive item.

Gary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: