• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kosikup Mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Kosikup Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I am a trumpet player in Melbourne, Australia that would love to hear from anyone that has some or knows of somewhere I could get hold of as many Kosikup mouthpieces as possible.
I started learning at 8 in a brass band on a Kosikup 3 cornet mouthpiece.
I attribute a lot of conditioning in the upper register as a professional trumpet player to that mouthpiece, and would love to find some for the young students that I am now teaching on cornet.
Although many see the cornet as a hybrid between Trumpet & Flugel, it was instrumental in my beginning years as a brass player.

Please respond if you are wanting to sell a Kosikup or know someone that does.

Regards

Dave Newdick
Melbourne
Australia
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a cornet player, yet, I did a Google search it seems that it's obviously a British brand but I couldn't find an example of one. What was it about the design that you liked? Are there similar designs available now?

I assume it's pronouced like Cozy Cup?

Kent
DN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is pronounced Cozy Cup, and the rim is the attribute that I enjoy the most about the moutpiece, apart from the fact that it is quite very deep compared to Bach cornet mouthpices.
The Kosikup was most probably widely used in the brass bands, and although I don't play in this area any more, I hold a lot of value in this sort of upbringing and know that many of the worlds finest trumpet players started with a cornet in their hands.
I haven't seen many designs like these nowdays.

Regards

Dave Newdick
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I reckon there has to be literally thousands of them lying around band rooms in Australia...I've seen the very odd one come up on e-bay in the UK. If I remember rightly they came as standard on the lower end B&H instruments...back in those days with brass bands in Sydney I played tuba but can remember the section cornets playing kosikup (the front bench were all on DW) but can't remember what I started with. You know what low brass is like...you find a mouthpiece, stick it in the narrow end and blow (and blow and blow!!).

Try out www.brass-forum.co.uk or www.4barsrest.co.uk it's got lots a UK members who are brass banders and SA players. The latter one also has a link to their Aussie affiliate.

Regards,

Trevor
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Send an e-mail to any of the old established bands in the UK,...or at least those with their own bandrooms and there WILL be some 'Kosi-cups',..probably for the asking.

The 'kosi' is not the equal of a carefully chosen Denis Wick in my view, but each to his own! A friend of mine who is principal cornet of a neighbouring band in the next town has always played on 'Kosi's' and when he 'depped' for us recently I noticed he now has his collection gold plated!.....so amazingly you are not on your own...
sweets anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay.com
riffi1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: RE Kosikup mouthpieces Reply with quote

For our American colleagues here are two shots of the Kosikup on which I learned cornet almost 40 years ago. It is quite simiilar to my new Curry Vintage Cup except that the rim is much sharper

laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I obtained a "New old stock" B&H Imperial cornet a while back. It came with a kosicup mpc, as did most B&H instruments before Wick mpcs came on the scene. Talk about re living my youth!!! I think most of us 60s and 70s vintage bandsmen would have played on a kosicup at some point in our early days.
Dave, I am sure there would be some bands in the Melbourne area with a few kosicups on the shelf.
Cheers
Laurie
camson9902

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kosikup Mouthpieces Reply with quote

DN wrote:
I am a trumpet player in Melbourne, Australia that would love to hear from anyone that has some or knows of somewhere I could get hold of as many Kosikup mouthpieces as possible.
I started learning at 8 in a brass band on a Kosikup 3 cornet mouthpiece.
I attribute a lot of conditioning in the upper register as a professional trumpet player to that mouthpiece, and would love to find some for the young students that I am now teaching on cornet.
Although many see the cornet as a hybrid between Trumpet & Flugel, it was instrumental in my beginning years as a brass player.

Please respond if you are wanting to sell a Kosikup or know someone that does.

Regards

Dave Newdick
Melbourne
Australia

Hi Dave,

I know this thread is old but i am about to put on 4 kosikup mouthpieces on Ebay 3 for cornet and 1 Flugel mouthpiece.

Regards
Mike
hartleymartin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of thread necromancy here. I have three KosiKup Mouthpieces as show below:

Left-Right:
Soprano Cornet Size 3
Cornet Size 1-1/2 (well-used, silver plating worn off)
Cornet Size 3 - this one belonged to my uncle when he played in brass bands in the 1970s. Apparently it is something of a rare item as it is quite a large mouthpiece and I find it hard to play at the top of the stave with this one, but I get a nice big sound in the low register.

The one on the left, despite being ostensibly a Soprano Cornet mouthpiece fits into my 1923 Boosey & Co B-flat Cornet and is quite a comfortable mouthpiece, though the lowest notes (B-flat, C, D) are harder to get securely in tune.

KosiKup Cornet Mouthpieces by Martin Hartley, on Flickr

KosiKup Cornet MP Bowls by Martin Hartley, on Flickr

And my lovely old Boosey & Co Cornet.

1923_B&C_Repair_12 by Martin Hartley, on Flickr

By the way, I'm from Sydney, Australia so another aussie on this forum!
John Pereira

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: KOSIKUP mpcs Reply with quote

I realise this topic is VERY old and I'm not looking to sell any mouthpieces but would appreciate it if anyone is disposed to provide any information.

I have just acquired an old KOSICUP mouthpiece. with a second-hand B&H Imperial tenor horn. It's very tarnished if not a little corroded. The end of the shank looks a bit battered and the cross-section is no longer circular. Higher up the shank looks OK and seems to fit the mouthpipe snugly enough. I tried it with a cornet but it's a tiny bit too big.

Stamped on it is:
KOSICUP
REGD
1 1/2
MADE IN ENGLAND

The cup is very deep and conical. When I first saw it I thought it might be an old french horn mouthpiece.

Anyone has any information? E.g. what do the numbers mean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: