• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge or Conn Artist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Benge or Conn Artist? Reply with quote

I've played a .468 bore Committee for a long time and also had a long break from playing until the last few months.

The Committee is notorious for 'squirrily' slotting and I get the feeling I'm working harder than I would be on a smaller bore trumpet.

My big influence is, you guessed it, Lee Morgan, so I like the idea of a Benge 3X, being the closest thing to a French Besson out there - I've heard that Lee played a Chicago Benge at times too.

I'm looking for a brighter jazz horn to give me a choice of sound and an easier horn to play up high....

So given all that, a Conn 8B Artist, like he played later in his solo carrer is also an option.

The Benge is a .458 and the Conn is a .438.

I can get hold of either horn and wondering which one is going to be best?

I havent played a small/medium bore trumpet for years and not too sure what to expect and the problem is, I wont get a chance to try before buy as I live in an isolated part of Australia..

Whos played both a 3X and an 8B? I'd be I interested to hear comparisons.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Burbank Benge 3X and a Martin Committee Large Bore. Both require the same effort but, of course, play differently. The 3X produces a brighter sound than the Committee. Also, FYI, the Benge 3X is a .460 bore.

I've never played a Conn 8B Artist.
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I have a Burbank Benge 3X and a Martin Committee Large Bore. Both require the same effort but, of course, play differently. The 3X produces a brighter sound than the Committee. Also, FYI, the Benge 3X is a .460 bore.

I've never played a Conn 8B Artist.

Thanks for the correction Hermo, I knew it was in that vicinity.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Benge or Conn Artist? Reply with quote

Leeway wrote:
The Benge is a .458 and the Conn is a .438.

That bore size is a little misleading for the Conn; owing in part to the Connstellation-style wide wrap, the blow feels much more open. My biggest complaint about most of the vintage Conns is that the valves usually seem kinda clunky.

If you have trouble getting your hands on an 8B to try, you might drive a 36B around for a spin. It's not as light but has a similar wrap and .438 measurement at the second valve, as well as a similar bell size.

Honestly, though, Lee sounded like Lee no matter what horn he was playing...
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conn will slot tighter than a second generation Committee, but so will a handcraft Committee. If you are really looking to pick your brightness, and have tight slotting, I think you should be looking at a Bach. It's not the first thing that come to mind for most people, but with the right options, you can really pick a Bach that will fit what you are seeking a bit better than a semi-loose vintage Conn, or Benge.

In the New York years when Bach centering/slotting was looser, the 7-10 bell Bach was a candidate for the brighter Jazz application. The 7-10-62 became the L bore 25, but the wrap morphed into the tight centering Bach of today.

With the right mouthpiece, a 25 might be right up your alley, as the 7 part of its bell's original designation 7-10 was French inspired. It's an oft-overlooked horn for your choice of usage as most I have known in the genre have preferred flexible to loose, but in tone and response its heading in the right direction (mouthpiece is critical to degree of brightness however).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: