• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago Symphony first rotary C trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Chicago Symphony first rotary C trumpets Reply with quote

I've heard the story about Bud Herseth bringing rotary C trumpets to Chicago, but am interested in hearing more about this- what make horns were they, how did he select them, etc.?
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first rotaries owned by the CSO were Monkes as far as I know. I spoke with Larry Black (retired from ATL symphony) and he owns one that Bud selected. He told me that Bud worked with Monke on the design and insisted on a larger bore instrument than he was used to making at the time. Monke was reluctant to do so, but after a few trials on several horns, Bud liked em and he had Monke built a set for the CSO.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 1995 Intl. Trumpet Guild interview with Bud, he sated Vince Cichowicz brought back two Miraphone rotaries from Los Angeles, a Bb and a C. Vince didn't like them and the Bb was not good, but Herseth liked the C and bought it from Vince.
Some time later, when the Berlin Philharmonic was on tour, he discovered the Monkes and thought they were "first class" (Bud's words) and he ordered a D and C from them. He didn't care for the D, but liked the C as did Vince and they began to use them. Other Monke rotaries entered the picture for the CSO trumpet section, both Bb and Cs.
R. Tomasek
DMac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Monke C, built in 2000, a few weeks ago on TH Marketplace, and it has a nickel bell (not a nickel bell garland, but the entire bell). Seems like I remember reading on TH a while ago that Bud Herseth was very specific with the maker (Monke) re: the construction of the bell (nickel content, etc.)- any more information about this? I'm curious as to how much influence he had on the development of my Monke. Thanks for the info.
daDavemeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crew over at Monster Oil filmed one of their “brass chats” interviews with Scott Laskey shortly before he passed away, and I seem to remember the subject of rotaries being discussed some. Not sure where in the video, but here it is if you feel like taking a look https://vimeo.com/288007410 (Great, great video! RIP Mr. Laskey!)

Take care
Dave
popfly38

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daDavemeister wrote:
The crew over at Monster Oil filmed one of their “brass chats” interviews with Scott Laskey shortly before he passed away, and I seem to remember the subject of rotaries being discussed some. Not sure where in the video, but here it is if you feel like taking a look https://vimeo.com/288007410 (Great, great video! RIP Mr. Laskey!)

Take care
Dave

Dave-
Thanks for that link. You're right that's a great video. Some fascinating stories from a fascinating life in that hour. The CSO Monke reference begins around 22:00.
DMac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- are Monke trumpets still in production?
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeppers....
http://www.josefmonke.de/index.htm
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theRiddler wrote:
The first rotaries owned by the CSO were Monkes as far as I know. I spoke with Larry Black (retired from ATL symphony) and he owns one that Bud selected. He told me that Bud worked with Monke on the design and insisted on a larger bore instrument than he was used to making at the time. Monke was reluctant to do so, but after a few trials on several horns, Bud liked em and he had Monke built a set for the CSO.

I, too, know Larry Black . . . he lives not far from me and I have gone down there several times for customization on leather valve guards for various instruments and even a trumpet lesson or two.

I have played Larry's rotary C trumpet, and it was made by Schilke. He said there were six made (if memory serves), and he has one of them.

I am 99.9% sure that's what he told me, and I could give him a call if somebody insists that's incorrect. As I said, I also played his Schilke C rotary and he told me the CSO story.

I was glad that I didn't really care for it (so was my wife and she never even knew it). That's all I need . . . to go on a rotary trumpet safari!

😉
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: