• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sad transformation of this forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Sad transformation of this forum Reply with quote

Any bets how long this thread lasts before it vanishes?

SO this week we are treated to pop-ups blocking a quarter of the screen - not just any pop-ups, but cheesy, sometimes vile, tabloid journalism and promotions of not just conspiracy theories but scams. Accompanying them, the occasional attempt to launch background aps for who knows what, doubtfully desirable, purpose.

A few minutes ago, I received a notification email for "Back in the saddle, 15+ years". By the time I could click, sure enough, its gone - like it never existed. Moderators just delete any opinion they don't like because he who controls the press controls the truth - can't trust any of us to be of sound mind and actually recognize BS when we read it after all.

First TM went away, now TH is degenerating into a platform for a chosen few who's judgement, based on the content of the advertising, is dubious at best. It's really sad, and really frustrating. There is no where left for open and honest discussion of the craft any more.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ad blocker on my computer, and I have never had a pop up ad appear on this site.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the owner of this site has any input on the content of the ads put up by taboola. I am sure the moderators have no control nor influence.

So the assertion that somehow the content of the ads is linked to the moderator's judgement is not dubious but seriously flawed. And as such I would not be surprised if this thread is pulled.
NERO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
I have an ad blocker on my computer, and I have never had a pop up ad appear on this site.

+1
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adverts were added a few years ago to support the site without asking people for the money to fund the server and ISP. Neither the sysadmin nor the moderators have anything to do with them.

AFAIK no posts have been deleted in that thread; it may be the poster deleted the post himself (or herself), I don't know. The Moderators usually act when others complain or a post clearly violates the Usage Agreement. I doubt a look through the various threads would support your "chosen few" assertion; as many complain about the lack of moderation as the overmoderation. It's a lot of hours, mostly behind the scenes, for the moderation team but of course we can't please everyone. It might be better to PM Moderators or trumpetherald (Todd, sysadmin) with your grievances than open a thread just to denigrate and belittle the team.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
So the assertion that somehow the content of the ads is linked to the moderator's judgement is not dubious but seriously flawed.

No, not the moderators, but someone has chosen to use taboola, a known malware and scam site, on the TrumpetHerald. It's their choice to put taboola's ads and other cruft on the site.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad transformation of this forum Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Any bets how long this thread lasts before it vanishes?
<Snip!>

A few minutes ago, I received a notification email for "Back in the saddle, 15+ years". By the time I could click, sure enough, its gone - like it never existed. Moderators just delete any opinion they don't like because he who controls the press controls the truth - can't trust any of us to be of sound mind and actually recognize BS when we read it after all.
<snip!>

Is this the thread you were thinking of?
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152048
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started seeing those odd pop-ups on a computer other than my own but never see them on my home computer that has an ad-blocker running. Now that I think of it, I don't see them on my Android phone that uses Chrome either.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sad transformation of this forum Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:

And then re-appears. (having fun typing around the ___ ad, so please excuse typos …) The notify link said it was gone. Could not find it under Horns in the forum listing - could be me I suppose. But, Search also could not find it despite 2664 pages of results from "Back in the saddle" with or without quotes.

With a different browser, search displayed multiple pages. Right now, using Win-10 IE, clicking on the "2" or "Next" on the bottom of the search page now brings up "No topics or posts met your search criteria" - despite the 2664 pages noted.

Reminds me of my attempt to PM the moderators mailbox a while back, only to eventually be told the link buttons don't work for that user ID.

I put a lot of time, and sometimes exploit the time of industry and academic contacts, to try and post meaningful content here that will be of value to others, and particularly to the preservation of information for the future. When that content just vanishes without comment, I find myself wondering why bother?

In this case, I appear to be in error, but with the Kanstul thread that was a source record of the socio-economic dynamics of a major event in the industry, including the business climate for instrument makers at the dawn of the electronic music age, as well as the emergence of China and the recession of the US as geo-political powers, had academic value for future generations not often captured in a single source. That was obliterated because someone didn't like - I have no idea what (why not communicate directly with posters and express what is wrong ??). Some day, when scholars are researching the emergence of China as a world power, perhaps a century from now as its cycle moves into decline, that record would have been a priceless historical snapshot - never mind the significance of Kanstul in our community.

Maybe it is as much the disfunction of the site, and in that perhaps much of the blame lies not with the host, but with the constant evolution of browsers, as it is the deliberate censorship that encourages vandals to post something objectionable just to get important threads with an opinion they don't like deleted, but it is, as I said, sad, that this resource seems to be degenerating. These seedy adds are just the exclamation point.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kanstul thread kept degenerating and was the source of a lot of complaints (as well as praise). There was a lot of misinformation as well as good info and a number of people in and close to the family were upset with some of the false speculation. Sometimes you just have to let go.

If the "Saddle" thread disappeared the Mods didn't do it. Through the years there have been many times posts and whole threads have been lost due to server glitches when they crash and restore from backup. Sometimes it is relatively unnoticed and sometimes hours or days of posts are lost. Sometimes there's just a glitch and trying again will get to it. We're having snowstorms and cold here and I get timeouts fairly often; retrying gets things back (usually).
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Huxley quoted got me thinking that perhaps my issue is this:

While the momentum here seems to align with "Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view, is silence about truth", or perhaps "reality, however utopian, is something from which people feel the need of taking pretty frequent holidays", I prefer the view of the Savage in "I claim them all".

It is unfortunate some were offended by rumors. As one who knows many of the details, and indeed saw fit not to share that which should not be shared while people are trying to move on in life, I agree that even certain true things might be individually suitable for deletion edits, but to lose over a dozen pages of inoffensive snap-shot of events unfolding harmed future scholars of these times.

Perhaps one day I will publish a second edition of Timeline of Trumpets, and along with stories Dale, Byron and Roy have given me since publication, include a detailed account of Kanstul into BAC, but that will only be my knowledge of happenings and motivations, it will not capture the impact to the brass community as manifested in the rumors, complaints and theories about global economic and social factors that only a source record can accurately convey.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick note to OldSchoolEuph and those who wish to search this site. The search function is useless. Use your favorite search engine like google or bing and add the search term "site:trumpetherald.com". This is much more productive and easy to use.

I think it is wise to consider that this forum and it's contents are very transitory. Take TM for instance. There one day gone the next. No one appeared to know who ran it so all of the content disappeared with the site.

Assume for a moment that the site was still around, in a relatively short time, 5/10/15 years, I am willing to bet that access to the contents would be difficult or impossible for most. Kind of like I no longer have access to CD or DVDs on my computer. All of my archives to DVD are worthless. Even though I made a point to keep a USB DVD device for that purpose. (the hardware no longer works with Windows)
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad transformation of this forum Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
swthiel wrote:

And then re-appears. (having fun typing around the ___ ad, so please excuse typos …) The notify link said it was gone.

I've had that happen (notify link says gone) here a couple of times. I chalk it up to grumpy old forum software and corrupted database tables. It happens.

What I have noticed is that with the pop-up ads, the quantity of posts seems to be waaaay down. I think folks are staying away.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity that the subject of this thread is now going to be hidden under the discussion of some unclear examples but I have to say that I agree with OSE, the OP. Maybe there are so now and then some complaints but at the same time there seems to be a bunch of old boys network active on this forum which seems to seek defence by the moderators in case they feel wronged:"Bobby-baby-brother stole a cookie in the kitchen!".
And it has to be said, the moderators seem to be quite trigger-happy to concede these "complaints".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: