• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Permanent injury to the embouchure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Permanent injury to the embouchure Reply with quote

Hi,

Last day, I've reopen the first pages of Clarke and read this:

Quote:
Permanent injury to the embouchure may occur if the tone is forced.

My teacher also told me the story of two former students always playing high notes like birds without warming up sufficiently. And one day, the lips stopped to answer and the muscles stiffened. According to him, they could say goodbye to their professional soloist career because of permanent damage.

Here is my question: do you believe there his something really dangerous about forcing ourself ? Is there something like permanent injury ? Do you have any experience to share ? We all had days forcing a little bit...

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Permanent injury to the embouchure Reply with quote

michael_bxl wrote:
Hi,

Quote:

My teacher also told me the story of two former students always playing high notes like birds without warming up sufficiently. And one day, the lips stopped to answer and the muscles stiffened. According to him, they could say goodbye to their professional soloist career because of permanent damage.

Here is my question: do you believe there his something really dangerous about forcing ourself ? Is there something like permanent injury ? Do you have any experience to share ? We all had days forcing a little bit...

One of my classmates in college lost an eye due to pressure related to high note playing. I believe it was already at risk before the incident, but...
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am skeptical of the claim of irreparable damage due to playing, based mainly on the the experience of Rafael Mendez -- not injuries from playing, but potential career-killing incidents. However, I also think that recovery from such an injury requires the right teacher and the right approach for the student.
greyMike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent injury to the embouchure Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
michael_bxl wrote:
Hi,

Quote:

One of my classmates in college lost an eye due to pressure related to high note playing. I believe it was already at risk before the incident, but...

That sounds terrible. Some kids at this age of life are pushing their luck to the limit. One college guy here recently got a second hand bike, put new tires and dirt bike suspension then took it for spin. He even tried the rocky cliff and the bike slipped. Hope his back injury will not be permanent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: