• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Audition Literature Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
creed61101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Audition Literature Advice Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on a good piece to complement Hummel Movement 1 for college auditions. I’ve been considering using Haydn Movement 2 or Hindemith Movement 1 or 3, but I’m not completely sure what would work best. My thought process is that I should find a more lyrical solo to go with the Hummel, but if you have any thoughts or advice I’d really appreciate hearing them. Thank you!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much of what you play, but HOW you play it.. I'd first check with the school / trumpet studio that you're auditioning with--there may be something specific.

But otherwise a short Arban, Concone, Getchel, or Snedecor lyrical etude would be acceptable. Something that you play well and can show off your "singing" style; could even be a contemporary ballad or hymn-tune.
I always suggest something that you've worked on before and are very comfortable in performing it at a high level.

Know your scales, Know your scales, Know your scales.

If you can play a healthy chunk of the Hummel, and you're solid on your scales, that alone will demonstrate most of what you can do on the trumpet.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a trumpet professor, so bear that in mind. But here is some food for thought:

1. What does your current trumpet teacher recommend? That is really important. He/she knows your abilities well, is presumably familiar with the college audition process, and should be able to help guide you.

2. Related to the above: You want to pick (relatively) challenging pieces that showcase you at your absolute best.

3. It is good/desirable to have some contrast. That demonstrates your versatility.

Thus, given a choice between just Hindemith and Haydn, I'd suggest the Hindemith if you and your teacher are confident you can play it well. But as was previously suggested, an Arban characteristic study, one of Snedecor's lyrical etudes (honestly, ANY of his etudes), a Clarke cornet solo...could also offer good contrast. The key thing is to make sure it is something you can play well!

Good luck!
FreddieSullivan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I'm not a trumpet professor, so bear that in mind. But here is some food for thought:

1. What does your current trumpet teacher recommend? That is really important. He/she knows your abilities well, is presumably familiar with the college audition process, and should be able to help guide you.

2. Related to the above: You want to pick (relatively) challenging pieces that showcase you at your absolute best.

3. It is good/desirable to have some contrast. That demonstrates your versatility.

Thus, given a choice between just Hindemith and Haydn, I'd suggest the Hindemith if you and your teacher are confident you can play it well. But as was previously suggested, an Arban characteristic study, one of Snedecor's lyrical etudes (honestly, ANY of his etudes), a Clarke cornet solo...could also offer good contrast. The key thing is to make sure it is something you can play well!

Good luck!

Great advice to listen to your teacher. You can also refer to https://au.edubirdie.com/dissertation-writing-services and they will help you with your questions about college audition. It is a professional educational service. They helped me write my dissertation when I was in troubles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: