• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carolbrass mouthpieces?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Carolbrass mouthpieces? Reply with quote

I've heard that Carol's mouthpieces are a little more open and/or have larger backbore, and anecdotally I noticed my mouthpiece cleaner will go all the way through on my Carol mouthpieces, but not on my other mouthpieces. I also have several of them and their resale value is low, so they'd be a good mouthpiece to experiment on.

Has anyone here ever measured them? Does anyone have the ability to measure them?

I was realizing that I like the way this mouthpiece blows and it seems similar in diameter to to my Yamaha 16c4 but Carol doesn't provide any numbers or info on their stock mouthpieces.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one of their flugel pieces and it has a tighter backbore than a Curry or Schilke flugel mouthpiece.

For $20 you can compare any backbores, buy some of these https://www.amazon.com/DGOL-Full-Ball-Small-Range/dp/B078WLFKXQ/ and adjust the size slowly and compare how far it goes in to the two mouthpieces. The mystery of the backbore can easily be revealed by playing with these gauges. With some practice you can also measure and plot them out.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that their 7C feels smaller in diameter than a typical 7C (whatever that means), and their 3C feels very much like a typical 1-1/2C in diameter.
supercow216

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
All I know is that their 7C feels smaller in diameter than a typical 7C (whatever that means), and their 3C feels very much like a typical 1-1/2C in diameter.

I can second that. I have a 3C trumpet mouthpiece and it is huge, the size is like bach 1-1/2. The air flow is seemingly more open but I cant seem to secure my lips in it like a bach. I eventually pass.

I am still learning!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercow216 wrote:

I can second that. I have a 3C trumpet mouthpiece and it is huge, the size is like bach 1-1/2. The air flow is seemingly more open but I cant seem to secure my lips in it like a bach. I eventually pass.

That sounds to me Carol Brass copied Bruno Tilz BaKo mouthpieces; their 3C is HUGE as well

I called herr Tilz one day (since I speak German quite well) and he explained his copies are made from Bach Mount Vernon mouthpieces so maybe since Bach mouthpieces have been always very inconsistent Mount Vernon mouthpieces are way bigger than the Vincent Bach Corp. (Elkhart) ones.

Bruno Tilz BaKo mouthpieces do have a bigger backbore than Vincent Bach mouthpieces as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: