• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about Chase Sanborn rim vs. GR rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Question about Chase Sanborn rim vs. GR rim Reply with quote

I play GR 66 mouthpieces. I don't have a problem to solve, but the excellent video series by Chase Sanborn intrigued me with one statement: his mouthpieces (made by GR) have a slightly different rim shape. There wasn't much explanation. Does anyone here have experience comparing two similar-sized mouthpieces, by Chase Sanborn and a stock GR, to offer a comment about the difference in the rim?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop a note to Chase, he probably has! Very nice guy.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I've done that on Facebook.
sanborn_chase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: GR-CS mouthpieces Reply with quote

Thanks for the question about mouthpiece rims. The CS designs are unique, but there are family resemblances. I feel the rim is the most immediately noticeable difference--the CS rim is thinner with a sharper inner edge. For me, that proves better response and flexibility.

I recently put up a series of videos about mouthpieces in general, and the GR-CS line in particular. This link will take you to the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdkYbUyqvkhQVjDXYSTYlv_b6HSDPdLI6
sanborn_chase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: GR on CS Reply with quote

GR contributed his own thoughts to this discussion, elaborating on the design differences in much greater detail. His understanding of the math is far greater than most players’, but his description offers insight into the GR design process.

GR references a couple of cuts from a CD as examples. You can hear Only Trust Your Heart here: https://youtu.be/phcf7ayPXAE
---

From Gary Radtke:

Designing the GR-CS line involved a progression using GR’s Three Rules of Brass Playing and the Mouthpiece Design Program. Listening to Chase Sanborn play everything from soft breath attacks to high notes, scales, intervals and small jazz combo, the goal was to help Chase to sound like Chase with less work, and to increase versatility.

There are 7 rim parameters that were used to tune the GR66 rim into the CS66 rim:

Outside Diameter: .004” difference
Highpoint: .002” difference
Inside diameter: 0” difference
Bite: .004” difference on radius
Rc: 0” difference
Ro: .010” on the radius.

The CS66S alpha is 1 degree higher than GR66S.
The CS66MS is 2 degrees higher than the GR 66MS.
The CS66M alpha is 1 degree less than the GR 66M.

The GR Design Program and the parameters are the key to getting a design match to the player and horn. Small changes make big differences. These changes are what Chase needs to set up the soundwave quickest according to the GR Three Rules.

Here are a couple of examples that demonstrate a good match between mouthpiece and player. Both are from the CD, ‘Cut To The Chase’:

Track 1: I’m Through With Love (trumpet)
You can hear how easy the notes start in the low register and at low volume levels. Chase can color the notes and add fluff. He displays a fat upper register @ 3:44 then comes down to soft depth sensitivity.

Track 6: Only Trust Your Heart (flugelhorn)
This track demonstrates accuracy and sensitivity in a very exposed situation.

At GR, we do the Math, you make the music.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Chase and thanks for the explanation!
sanborn_chase

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's welcome back--I gave up trying to figure out the login info I used for TH and started fresh with a new ID. Perhaps that will dissociate me with all the flame wars I started...
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful. Many thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: